How to make MOU and proposal to offer my ideas to client?

Hello ladies and gentelmen,

Now I’m still working for Logo project but I’m still confused to make mou for this project and how to make proposal to offer some ideas to my client. Maybe you can help me to give tips and tricks or you can show me your proposal sample to teach us how to make right proposal to offer some ideas to our client. Thank you

The proposal comes before offering ideas to the client…
What is MOU?

Moons of Uranus.

1 Like

Yeah, no. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I looked it up. A Memorandum of Understanging.
A non-binding agreement. Which is useless in the business world.

Sorta sounds like someone putting cart before horse here.

1 Like

I pull out all the big guns for new clients. For long standing clients, a gentleman’s handshake almost always applies.

The professional way:

• show samples of work you have done for other clients
  • write a quote or proposal
  • if the client agrees to the terms, then begin the design process

Never do any work until you have a contract.

Get a copy of The Graphic Artists Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines. It has examples of forms and explains the types of issues you should be addressing.

1 Like

Not really. I’ve run into MOUs every now and again — not in my own work, but in the business dealings of various clients and employers.

When two companies are exploring the possibility of working together, an MOU can be useful in helping to ensure that the two parties agree on the basics of what that relationship might be. The MOU isn’t a legal contract, but it’s not meant to be. It’s mostly a clarifying document defining the scope of a possible business relationship that might or might not come to pass. They often serve as the basis for negotiations that might lead to a formal, legally binding contract.

They’re mostly useful when large amounts of money are involved in one-of-a-kind business negotiations. I can’t imagine many situations where individual graphic designers would find an MOU useful in what are mostly smaller transactional agreements with clients.

On the other hand, a graphic designer might work at an advertising agency that is negotiating the acquisition of another ad agency. In that situation, an MOU could be useful in establishing the foundations of what both parties are expecting. An MOU can often serve as the basis for a final contract that emerges from negotiations.

that is my favorite perry como song!

Okay can you help me break down what should i fill on my proposal to offer with new client / older client ?
Because i never make this, i just wanna have a great deal and good ethical graphic designer / illustrator like me offer ideas to them.

ohhh ya and how if after client see my prposal and said " what do you have in your mind ? or what’s your great idea for us ? " what should i do and what should i said ? If i show my idea i think this is very dangerous if my client still not sign the contract and send Deposit for me

Sorry i really amateur about this thing. i hope anybody can help me and if you wanna help i appreciate that thank you : )

Yes i’m agree with you Just-B, your statement is very clear and I like that. Thank you very much

Did you get the book “The Graphic Artists Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines”? That is the resource you would want to consult.

You talk to the potential client and ask questions about their business and product, to the point where they feel like you understand what they do. You have ideas about how you can help them. You show them examples from your portfolio that are relevant to their situation, and you talk about how you solved similar problems with your other clients. Then you tell them how you would approach their problems. You can TELL new clients your ideas, but you don’t do work, and you don’t SHOW work until they sign a contract and put down some payment.

As Mojo said, you can talk to potential clients about projects and show them work you’ve done in the past. Based on these preliminary discussions, you and the potential client would decide whether or not you want to work together.

What you should not do is start working on any ideas until the client has signed a contract and (depending on the situation) given you a deposit that ensures you’ll be paid for any initial work that you do.

In other words, preliminary discussions are typically needed before deciding to move ahead with a contract No actual work is done or shown to the client until after the contract is signed. When clients want to see ideas before agreeing to hire you, you tell them “No”.

There are sometimes exceptions to this when you’ve identified a client you want and you’re taking the initiative of pitching an idea to them. In that situation, you’ve approached the potential client and you’re trying to convince them to hire you by showing them a great idea you’ve worked up. Even doing this is controversial, however, and many designers refuse to make these kinds of pitches.

This is all very different from crowdsourcing website work, which often involves designers doing work for potential buyers with no assurance of getting paid unless the buyer decides to purchase the work that’s been developed. This is the main reason (among others) so many of us dislike crowdsourcing.