How to simplify one's business?

I’m curious ways others have simplified their business, either through minimalism or other ideas. For example, once I started asking for 1/3 down for new clients, the amount of delinquent invoices went down to almost zero.
On a similar note, does anyone use a social media page instead of their own website to promote their services? I was thinking about using my instragram or maybe a linkedin/behance page to and having my .com forward to that page, though maybe that would be too extreme.
Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

1 Like

Delinquent Invoices??? explain?

I’m not sure what you don’t understand about that?

delinquent:
“(typically of a young person or that person’s behavior) showing or characterized by a tendency to commit crime, particularly minor crime.”

you’re sending the invoices, right?
so what is the crime?

You are thinking of the wrong usage of the word. In this case it is used as follows:

What Does Delinquent Mean?

The term delinquent refers to the state of being in arrears. When someone is delinquent, they are past due on their financial obligation(s), such as a loan, credit card, or bond payments. This means a borrower’s payments are not made to satisfy their debt(s) in a timely manner. Delinquent entities can be either individuals or corporations. Financial delinquency often leads to default if the arrears aren’t brought up to date.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I think using those social media platforms as ancillary communication channels to a personal website is a good idea, but I don’t see any of them, with the possible exception of Behance, as a substitute for a personal website.

Thank you all for the replies. Those are good comments/questions, now that I think about it a better word than delinquent would have been past-due or unpaid invoices.
As for social media, I think you’re right. Maybe a rare case would be someone like BossLogic on instagram, using IG for his main site works because he is world class and highly focused on one thing which is not true for most people.

I had never heard of BossLogic, so I had to look him up. In my 60 seconds of research, I agree with you, he’s a special case that made his mark and attracted attention through his use of social media.

Perhaps the most important factor is that he’s an illustrator whose clients would be art directors specifically looking for contractors with the style they need by searching through places such as DeviantArt.

However, the dynamics for graphic designers are different. Designers might be hired by art directors, but it’s almost always through the usual route of applying for full-time jobs rather than the art directors searching us out. Or in the case of attracting clients having a business-like presence with all the trappings of a business in places they expect, such as a website — which typically wouldn’t be DeviantArt or even Instagram.

As for your original question about simplification and efficiency, I’ve found that running a freelance business requires running it as businesslike as possible.

One of those business rules is setting boundaries for clients. As you mentioned, requiring an upfront downpayment before starting any work for any iffy first-time clients screens out the tire kickers and deadbeats. For those same clients, requiring payment in full before handing over the final work is also important.

Scheduling is also important. Clients shouldn’t set your hours. If you tell them, “I have two jobs ahead of yours, so I’ll be able to work on your project a week from Tuesday,” they need to give you that downpayment before you commit to working on their project. It also means that if they haven’t given you what you need by that day, they’ll need to deal with the consequences of rescheduling and a missed appointment fee specified in the contract.

This brings us to contracts; for those first-time and iffy clients, a good, solid, written agreement is always essential. It doesn’t need to be complicated or written in legalese, but it needs to be thorough and spell out what’s expected of both you and your clients and what will occur if one of you defaults on the obligations mentioned in the contract.

Most good clients will readily agree to all these terms with a bit of negotiation and give and take on both sides. Any client balking or arguing about a businesslike arrangement is a client best avoided. Of course, there are clients who almost always pay, such as large, established companies and government agencies. You often need to play by their rules when dealing with them, but they’re almost always safe bets.

One last thing. Always underpromise and over-deliver. If you think you can finish something by Wednesday, tell the clients it will take you until Thursday. This gives you a little leeway and ensures that the client will have it first thing on Thursday. Never, ever let missing deadlines be your fault.

These are all great points and many I learned to do the hard way. Except for a missed appointment fee, that’s a good idea. Another one I forgot is small, but helpful. I have a few clients that only need about an a half hour or so of work a month. I may bill them quarterly instead of monthly, that saves time and paperwork.

There are many ways to simplify a business, and what works for one person may not work for another. Some ways to simplify a business include:

• Minimizing overhead costs by moving to a smaller office space or working remotely
  • Outsourcing non-core functions, such as accounting or IT support
  • Automating repetitive tasks, such as invoicing or customer follow-up
  • Implementing a clear pricing strategy, such as charging upfront for services or offering package deals
  • Focusing on a specific niche or target market to streamline marketing efforts
  • Simplifying your product or service offerings to make them easier to understand and purchase

One way some business owners have simplified their business is by using a social media page instead of a website to promote their services. Social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram can be a cost-effective way to connect with potential customers and build a following. However, it’s important to note that having a website can still be beneficial as it can establish your brand, increase your visibility and credibility, provide more information and showcase your portfolio.

I’m going to point out that a website is expected of a business these days. As is, most often, an adjunct social media account or three.

If I want to contact you, and I don’t happen to have an instafacesplat account to interact with you, I’m going to go to the next guy who is more readily accessible.

I can’t tell you the number of Photographers I’ve contacted via either platform that never respond. Maybe they don’t believe I want to pay them money for their imagery?