How to "Warp" text in AI

Hi there! Would love to know if it’s possible to achieve the text effect like the word “Union” in AI. I tried an envelope distort, but didn’t get the desired effect :frowning:

I think there are just too many variables and aesthetic judgments to be made in something like that to expect an easy shortcut to what works best. Some things just need to be done by hand in Illustrator.

Are you referring to hand lettering?

No, I’m just saying it will likely mean using Illustrator’s main tool bar tools to drag points,
move things around, redraw a few curves and otherwise change the letters to conform to the shape you have in mind.

1 Like

Gotcha. I think I know what you’re talking about. I was able to do something similar with a custom shape and an envelope distort. The middle D looks a bit off b/c of the rounded corners. But it might do.06%20PM

Can you show us what you tried that didn’t suffice?

Sure. Using an envelope distort makes the text looks real wonky UNLESS you make a custom shape with “flat” sides.28%20PM

Looks like you cleaned the middle D up a bit. Nice job!

1 Like

A lot of times with this kind of thing, the Warp effect does more what you want than Envelope.
Either way, if this is a logo, please don’t forget to expand as your last step.

1 Like