How Will Bitcoin Influence the Advertising Industry

I just wrote this article on Medium. I would love to hear your opinion and critique:

1 Like

Despite all the news about cryptocurrencies, I have yet to meet anyone who actually uses it (of course it’s not something that typically comes up either). I’m wondering if it’s mostly hype over a new, different and confusing thing or whether will become a something people regularly use rely on.

My next-door neighbor owns an investment company. I asked him about cryptocurrencies a couple of months ago and he shrugged his shoulders, rolled his eyes and threw his hands up in the air, as if to say, your guess is as good as mine about its future. That started a 20-minute diatribe from him about investment scams, lack of regulation, people losing money and its eventual potential for disrupting market cycles.

Based on your article, you seem to feel it has a solid, positive future. I don’t know enough about it to have strong feelings one way or the other. It’s still a confusing mystery to me.

When it comes to advertisement, I see plenty of potential. But it might not be with bitcoin.
The biggest problem with bitcoin is the anonymity. It attracts black markets. It’s a PR problem. If you could program the coins to resist the black markets, that solves the PR problem.

IMO, ethereum has more potential if it can solve it’s scaling latency problem. Advertisers need more than numbers exchanged, which is what ethereum provides. But there can always be a newer currency that solves all the problems.

As for customers, they don’t like to be tracked. They don’t mind being sold to as long as it’s a product that they might want, and not random blind SPAM. Customers just don’t want their privacy invaded or their security compromised. The win-win situation is to get crypto currency to track response without tracking responders.

Cryptocurrency has not yet reached its full potential.

It’s dying a slow death. Keep waiting.

1 Like

1356106379-9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection

1 Like

Four years ago, when this thread was last active, I was uncertain what would happen. Since then, I’ve become increasingly skeptical about cryptocurrencies ever being anything but a niche thing or bait for suckers.

With no oversight or regulation, there’s way too much built-in volatility. If cryptocurrencies ever did become anything more than tiny niche players in the world’s economy, their wild up-and-down swings in value would send the world’s economy into violent tailspins.

Governments worldwide would clamp down on them long before they allowed that to happen, either by quashing them outright or locking them into strict regulatory oversight similar to how banks and other financial institutions are regulated.

1 Like

Agreed. In time, the confusion around it will settle and we’ll all see it blossom into full-blown crime.

1 Like

Yep, I guess the full potential is 100% of crypto investors losing their :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: instead of the 80% it is currently. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Blockchain-based advertising platforms also eliminate the middlemen that typically take a cut of the advertising revenue, which can result in cost savings for both advertisers and publishers. Finally, cryptocurrency is also changing the way businesses engage with their customers.

You keep believing that.
I’ll just sit here laughing at the suckers as one after another of these things implode.

3 Likes