How would you create good shading on illustrator?

aside from telling me to practice, and aside from telling me to look it up on places like google and youtube, no disrespectful or hurtful comments allowed. but tell me how you would create good shading for any text or object on illustrator, step by step with text only, in the comment section if possible

1 Like

It’s not possible. You’re looking for step-by-step instructions that will fit all scenarios where one solution does not exist. There isn’t necessarily a linear series of steps to achieve (fill in the blank). Sure, I could write instructions on how to achieve shading, but it might completely miss the mark for your scenario. It really depends on what is the best way to achieve the vision in your mind’s eye. It could be using gradients, it could be the gradient mesh tool, it could be drop shadows, it could be inner or outer glows, it could be layering objects and adjusting blending modes, it could be layering objects and adjusting transparency … or it could be a combination of things.

It might help if you gave us some idea of your experience, skill level, age, and education.

1 Like

um…thanks i guess. i’m 21 years old, i dont think i know my experience and skill level just yet. but my major is digital arts and graphic design to city tech’s online learning option. their real school is in brooklyn, but i’ve never been there before. as a transfer student from bronx community college myself. for education. even if that wasn’t the answer i was looking for, maybe this photo below would help answer my question.
The photo: Illustrator Tutorials_ 30 New Adobe Illustrator Tuts Learn Drawing and Illustration _ Tutorials _ Graphic Design Junction

2 Likes

For the kind of shading on the image you just posted, check out this video. It starts out a little weird, but the guy turns out to be very talented. He makes it look easy, which, of course, it isn’t.

1 Like

Doing that kind of shading assumes you know how to “see.” Seeing as an artist would see and being able to knock down continuous tone into 3 or 4 shades in solid shapes. It isn’t always successful, depending on the lighting of the subject. Level of skill varies from tracing photos to drawing things from memory just by knowing how light would interact with surface features. Unfortunately, it does indeed take a lot of practice.

1 Like

thanks. even if that wasn’t the answer i was looking for cuz i wanted you and anyone else to tell me how to accomplish shading with the robert downey jr drawing portrait BY TEXT only.

I’m not sure I am understanding your meaning of Text Only.

Is this what you mean?

Or do you mean you do not want any examples at all and only want responses that are written as though you were reading a book?

well absolutely not. i meant, i wanted you or anyone else, to tell me how to create good shading, on any object, in illustrator. in the form of replying with words only. no videos, no links and none of that stuff. Because that’s not what i asked for. Even the poster image you sent wasn’t what i asked for, However, if you know how to do whats on the book image, Tell me in words only, on your next reply, if possible

1 Like

I think you’ll find that working pros in the field won’t be having time to write what amounts to a book of instructions for you.

2 Likes

eh well thats a shame but oh well