I can't find a good Thanksgiving quote

Anyone who has worked in retail or corporate design will know how life sapping it is to make new “ads” for all the holidays. Halloween, Christmas, Valentines Day, even Easter, no problem. But making Thanksgiving ads is a drag. There is nothing “exciting” about it. I love being with family and I love the holiday, but promoting a holiday where we basically work our asses off cooking, eat, and then sit on our asses is useless.

This is just a quick comp so not really looking for a critique. That said, I found a quote that makes me happy, but the boss won’t let me use.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good Thanksgiving quote?

I find at least 4 or 5 on this page that I’d give a shot…

I think it’s just because I see these same quotes every year lol… oi me head.

What about “Over the river and through the woods to {insert business name here} We’re thankful for your business”

1 Like

There may be work involved in the holiday … but isn’t there with all holidays?

I’ve never found it boring or passe. It’s another chance to get together with friends and family, break bread, converse and share some gratitude for what you have. But, again … the older I get and the less people that are around to celebrate a special occasion - the more grateful I am for every opportunity.

That being said are you going for re-living the dark history of events or are you going for what the majority of us celebrate it now for?

While the quote you posted is funny it’s not appropriate in a business setting. Unless they are a humor site or something similar. I’m not sure if you are using that for an example or something you were thinking of using.

Even though it may be old fashioned, the quotes listed in the link by HB are good, solid and holiday appropriate.

It may be old fashioned … but sometimes that’s what works :wink:

My favorite is by JFK

“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.”

Why quotes at all? Or is it a thing…

Most of the stuff I get from vendors is the same;
"We here at _______ wish you and yours a very Merry Happy Joyous Other Adjectives

I agree completely. I love the relaxation of the day and making the calls to friends and family…

I only mean it’s hard to come up with a concept that is still interesting to me for an “ad”. After 30 years of Thanksgiving paraphernalia the well is dry.

Right. I just find it darkly humorous. It’s just a placeholder right now until I find something good that fits the occasion.

Agreed. That is one of the best things about the internet, less trips to the library and instant access to this sort of thing (the quotes).

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a “thing”.

I’ll hold onto that one for Christmas :slight_smile:

“We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” — John F. Kennedy

“Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” – Charles Dickens

“Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.” – Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

I’m leaning towards Hemmingway.

1 Like

Why is a quote from a third party needed? There are plenty of ways to portray holidays that don’t involve insipid slogans and quotes. Why use them at all?

1 Like

Yes. And I’ve done them all lol.

But to answer your question: These are for Facebook and other social media platforms. Advertising is not allowed but season’s greetings/historical info… are allowed. So the quote is just a way to keep the reader’s eyes occupied enough to see our logo and contact info in the bottom right.

It’s very lowest common denominator stuff.

1 Like

That made me chuckle. It’s such a good word and is used so little. :smiley:

1 Like

I hate using quotes in designs. Every author comes with historical baggage that you’re co-signing when you use the quote. If you don’t have to use one, I’d suggest trying to use a greeting instead, such as the inside of a greeting card.

1 Like

“Thanks for the turkey, sorry about the genocide”
hides

1 Like

It means super duper right? :wink:

1 Like

Everyone here makes very good points.

Here’s the thing though. I have to do one of these about every 3 weeks. It takes 2 hours tops and last for 3 days or so. They are boring because they are supposed to be. They use quotes because that’s what the boss wants.

What I was getting at with the post was just that sometimes the well runs dry when doing the same subject over and over and over. For me Thanksgiving is wonderful. Thanksgiving advertising on the other hand, is all so “eh”.

There’s an English word that I like and I think for many it describes me:

nonse: n. one who spouts unending nonsense.