I need a new graphic art tablet, but I'm lost!

When I was six, I received a Wacom Intuos 3 for my birthday, although I was only able to understand how to use in six years later. Now I’m 17, my pen nibs aren’t detected, the software doesn’t work on my mac, and I just want to get a new tablet.

I’ve gone to several stores, asked my artist friends, and done some research for myself for a couple weeks, and most of what I have found is a mix between the new Intuos Pro or the new iPad Pro. For the past month, I have been going back and forth between the iPad and the Intuos Pro. My art at the moment is an anime style, though I would love to develop more detail, which I have been told that the wacom tablets are way better for details.

I know that the iPad Pro is well regarded by many artists, some even say it’s not worth going back to a Wacom after getting the iPad. But I’m also comfortable with Firealpaca (the program that I use) and have no idea if I can get the same experience out of the Apple apps.

Both the Intuos Pro and the iPad Pro are within my price range, and although I am not a professional artist and have no plans to make any money off my art, I’m concerned that I may feel that the iPad is a downgrade.

Please help! I really need a second opinion!!
(Here’s some of my art, in case that helps you give me advice)

Thanks!

1 Like

I believe you can get good with either option. It all comes down to:

• If you have money to burn and you need portability, so you can work on your couch, in a coffee shop, etc. get the iPad Pro. You will love it.
  • If are tight on cash, and you prefer to work at your desk, get the Wacom. You will love it too.

You can’t really go wrong, so don’t stress about it.

1 Like

I just got the ipad pro/apple pencil a few days ago. I can already tell I am going to love it! I kept going back and forth between getting it or not, but I am glad I finally decided to just invest in it.

2 Likes

Depends how you want to use it. Your question is very broad because there’s no good description what you really want. What do you mean with ‘‘detail?’’ Do you want to draw better or do you want more options?

‘‘my pen nibs aren’t detected, the software doesn’t work on my mac, and I just want to get a new tablet.’’
If it’s a wacom you can just download a new driver from their site. Be sure you download the mac driver, not Windows.

But if you’re searching for a new tablet…

I have an Ipad 2018 + apple pen mostly for sketching and illustrating. Wacom cintiq 14HD with adobe programs/graphic design. At work intuos pro medium. I also had the pleasure to work with different tablets before.

If you want to work with photoshop / illustrator etc. I’d recommend the wacom/intuos, however you will need a pc/laptop with good specs. (otherwise it’ll heat up very quickly and you won’t be able to work on it for long).

Ipad is pretty comfortable with drawing but there’s not much ‘apps’ for graphic art/design. Adobe is busy developing photoshop app but that’s all I know. There are ‘‘sync programs’’ but you have to pay for it.

In my opinion:

Ipad pro’s

• Quick and easy to use. Like a digital sketchbook. (check out procreate, many artists use this).
  • The pen-pressure is awesome. You can draw in incredible details.
  • You can draw on screen.
  • It’s very relaxing, you dont have to sit behind your desk.

Wacom/intuos pro’s

• It’s linked with your pc.
  • Easy to use.
  • Dont have to worry with the battery with pen or tablet itself (unless you want wireless one)
  • There are many cheap options (and with quality)

Good luck!

BTW: check out Ipad app Procreate, maybe that’s the program you’re searching for? It’s a widely used art program.

1 Like

Incidentally…I’m planning on selling my Cintiq 13HD (barely used) very soon… :wink:

1 Like

I use a small Wacom Intuos tablet for my artwork or anything that is related to graphic design. It really depends on what you are looking for. Most designers who work on big projects like architecture and such, would use a large tablet. I use a small tablet because I like to use a lot of detail in my artwork.

If you are having trouble with the nibs, I suggest you either uninstall your tablet, restart your laptop and then install it again. Wacom drivers can cause problems when using the tablet. The Wacom tablet I had mentioned was cheap for me to purchase because I could not be able to save enough money for a Cintiq tablet. They are way too expensive for me.

If the uninstall/reboot/install method has not worked for you, then it could be the Wacom driver that hasn’t been updated. You can go to your Device Manager, then update your Wacom tablet or any other tablets you might be using. I hope this helps.

1 Like