I need help creating vector graphics like this

Hi guys

First of all, I think it’s great that there seems to be a need for a graphics forum in the English-speaking world. In the German-speaking area almost all forums were discontinued.

So, now to my request. I would like to develop a similar style as the designer of this picture:

Are there people here who have mastered a similar style and can teach it to me? Or is there a suitable tutorial for this style? Unfortunately I couldn’t find anything on Google so far, but I also don’t know what this design style is called. I realize that it is a vector graphic, but nothing more.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards from Germany

I think that is more of a learning to illustrate thing, than it is learning an Adobe Illustrator technique. The machinations of doing that are pretty simple vector / bezier curves. You can learn that from anywhere. It would be fairly time-consuming to draw all these elements (though a lot of draw / reflect and duplicate has gone on, so you only need to draw half the face. Duplicate it and then edit one side, so it is not an exact mirror of the first.

The important thing is can you draw something like that in the fist place, ie with a pencil and paper. That’s where I would start then, scan the sketches in and over-draw in Illustrator.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I am guessing that is the way something like that will have been done from the outset.

1 Like

This is basically a comic book pen and ink style with a “wash” applied, but in vector.
I’d learn the pen and ink for real first, do it by hand. Then scan/photograph it, then learn to apply a vector drawing over it. This one isn’t 100% clean but it’s pretty good. There’s a lot of reverse-repeat in this in the skull part. And the lighting source is a little mixed.

For the gray, learn about light source and shading shapes to give them depth.

If you need the vector to be cuttable in vinyl or similar, once you get the black art done, Expand it, then Unite it using pathfinder. You may have a learning curve on how to make that work properly. When finished, you should not have any stroked lines in the art. It should all be fills with no strokes.

I only have old fashioned resources.
This one is really good:

Then any of the Hogarth “dynamic” drawing books series similar to this one:

1 Like

Wow, I had not yet expected answers due to the time difference. Thank you very much you both. :pray:

Thank you also for the two book recommendations!
That means for me then actually just practice, practice, practice.

What do you think, how long will a beginner need until he gets it about as in the picture?

Seriously, about ten to 15 years, and that’s assuming you have the talent and aptitude necessary for it.

How long does it take to become a top-notch professional athlete or musician? Again, innate talent is a prerequisite. In addition, it takes long-term motivation, many thousands of hours of practice, critiques, evaluations, re-evaluations, experimentation, and stubborn dedication.

I suppose it depends on your objectives, though. If all you want to do is copy the illustration you posted, that’s easy enough. However, being able to create these kinds of things on your own is much more difficult.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I actually don’t want to just copy this.

So the road will be quite long. But I’m willing to go down it! My approach would actually be to sketch and then keep trying to vectorize in that style.
Do you guys have any tips for me? I will definitely keep poking around here on the forum.
Practicing every day for 1 to 2 hours, hopefully I won’t run out of ideas. :see_no_evil:

Join a local art class.
Or start one.

Our local coffee shops run all sorts of things and meet ups.

Keep on practicing.

That road should probably take you on a journey a bit broader than just the style of art you referenced. My advice is to practice drawing and allowing your style to develop as you move forward.

The book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, is the best book I’ve ever encountered about learning to draw.

^This book is an excellent way to start. It teaches you to see.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.