I really need some help regarding school

Hello, I’m new to this forum but I thought it would be a good place to start.
Ok so for the past 20 years I have worked in screen printing and vinyl printing on and off. I actually really enjoy being on a hand press but due to some old injuries, I just can’t do it anymore. I have been pretty interested in working in the graphic design aspect of it for years and have had a few production artist jobs. I like the work and would like to pursue it as a career. I’m putting some serious consideration into getting an associate’s or bachelor’s degree to help.
My question is where do I go? I know there are a million GD online courses I can take and am taking a few of them but I would really like to get a legitimate degree. I have looked into a couple of colleges that offer online programs but they range from $18,000 to $30,000 in intuition. Is it worth it? If I just knuckle down and continue to take online courses will potential jobs take me seriously? Will I learn what is necessary for a good position in production art? Also, are there any cheaper options for a degree? I know the community college an hour away from me has an accelerated 2-year program for a AAA that is somewhat affordable but they do not offer online classes and you can only start the program in the fall. I would like to start ASAP.
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hello

I currently enrolled in LAFM school its a 3 year school 1 class a month here is the link if you to check them out. www lafim edu it a bit expensive but to me it worth it they send you a kit to help you get started. You have put the dots because I can’t included them.

Thank you, I will check it out.

Welcome Aboard @ACR :slight_smile:

I’m going to put up a brief disclaimer. While I can appreciate when folks try to help each other out, we here at GDF do not endorse LAFS. We are not affiliated in any way. The only way we know anything of them is a professor from there is requiring all his online students to join a graphic design based forum. Some have chosen here.

Other than that … good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

My take will always be go and do a proper, accredited degree at a credible university. Firstly it will carry more weight and also, the quality of teaching will likely be higher and with solid routes into and links with the industry. I am not saying it is the case for all, but often when you see the portfolios of graduates from lower end and online courses, you can see gaping holes in their learning (usually in typography and critical thinking). They certainly wouldn’t make it to the top of my hiring pile – not that I am hiring now.

2 Likes

This is useful, thank you.

It’s certainly not a sure-fire route to a good-paying career. While making your decisions, keep in mind that the beginning salaries for new designers are pretty low. Many (possibly most) graphic design graduates end up leaving the field and finding better-paying jobs in related fields.

For some reason, over the past few years, graphic design has become sort of a cool subject for people to study. As a result, the marketplace is totally saturated and wages have tumbled. Without the formal education, you’ll be competing against those with that education, which makes succeeding even more of a long shot.

Way back in near-prehistoric times when I graduated, there just weren’t that many graphic designers and the situation was different. Today, I’m just not sure I’d recommend that anyone invest their time, money and dreams pursing graphic design unless they have an insatiable passion for it. For those who are sort of wishy-washy about it, I’d suggest another field where the employment opportunities are better.

2 Likes

^ this

I hear what you’re saying. The reason I’m doing it is because, as I said, I’ve been working in screen printing for a solid chunk of my life and have had a few years doing production art. The pay was decent but was told point plank a couple of times I would be making more if I had a degree under my belt. I know that production art for screen printing is a pretty specific job so I would like to broaden my knowledge so that I can look at other opportunities, not just color seps, cleaning up Jpgs, color matching, and making proofs. I would really like to have a stronger knowledge of CC as well as it seems to be a big selling point in a lot of jobs.