I still make art :)

Haha! I know this song well. My youngest used to sing it over and over. I sometimes feel like Elmo when I say I make art. I wonder if others view me as Elmo when I say I make art with markers.

2 Likes

“I make art” reminded me of this. One of the funniest Hyperbole-and-a-half stories ever: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

2 Likes

:joy: I love Hyperbole and a half. That’s one of my favorites too along with the one about going to a party after the dentist visit.

1 Like

The God of Cake and A Better Pain Scale are my other two favs.
:grin:

2 Likes

Here’s one of my studies … this one is of dandelions I named Fab5ive.

Art is what prompted many of us to enter this field. Then we realize that design isn’t art, and somewhere along the way it all turns into work. And that work involves computers, not pastels, colored pencils, oils and charcoal. I need to draw a distinction between work and art, then begin doing art again.

I have to say Just-B that I’ve never seen a work of art that wasn’t/isn’t well designed … or in other words … well composed.

And now that … hold on a sec while I pour another ice cold Moosehead … I think about it in my life creating stuff across a broad spectrum … my above comment applies to many many different disciplines. When you stop and think about it structure is everywhere … no gettin’ around it. Even if it is simply a canvas with nothing but black paint! Or a canvas by Barnett Newman … etc…

But when joy turns to work then I believe something deeper is at play.

The tools are quite different … especially the smells which is what I enjoy … but again it’s the ‘promise’ of what can be achieved that matters most! And requires an understanding of structure.

I was referring to graphic design, where there are clients to make happy, deadlines to meet, budgets to work within, target audiences to consider, strategies to develop, guidelines to follow, etc.

Art made for the simple pleasure of making it isn’t subject to those constraints, frustrations and concerns.

I too like the smells. There’s nothing that yanks me back in time faster than the odor of linseed oil and turpentine.

You mean like portrait painters (commissioned work in general) of today and way-back-when such as Rembrandt?

Nope, no directives there :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But the broader meaning of your comment is well taken. Very few freelance graphic designers have managed to carve out their own successful careers whist being able to maintain a unique ‘personality’ in their work.

No, I did not mean that. This is what I wrote.

Sorry Just-B I’m having a hard time understanding your comments … no biggy.

Here’s a clear example of two guys that I know of who do art for the simple pleasure of it AND as a living too. No difference from one to the other from pleasure to … what you call ‘work’.

Ash Thorp and Maciej Kuciara both do amazing personal art/work as that of what you demean as ‘work’. And they both perfrom under very strenuous constraints more so than your average garden variety graphic designer! Especially the cubical jockey! We’re talking about art/work for Blade Runner, Ghost In The Shell, James Bond, Nike, etc., etc… … very hard to see where their personal pleasure art/work deviates from their professional art/work. In fact Just-B, if it wasn’t for their personal art/work they wouldn’t have reached the level of professional art/work!

Perhaps you think that all scribbles and dabbles are art?

Art is NOT in the eye of the beholder!

Sorries.

@grfkdzgn To be honest, it sounds like your reading a lot into @Just-B and his comments. You even said he demeaned the creation of amazing personal art as work Which he didn’t.

While there are certainly examples or great artwork that was commissioned such as the Sistine Chapel, or portrait painters, etc. There is always something to be said for creating your own art or when artists create something with absolutely zero constraints. There are certainly some pieces I’ve designed, or some illustrations I’ve created for pieces I’ve designed that I enjoyed working on, or that I’m proud of. But as a designer I rarely have carte blanche to just do what I want, and even if I do, I’ve still been given content, a subject, etc. I’ve never just been asked to create something with zero direction.

And while there are times where I enjoy working to creatively solve a design issue, there is always much more freedom with simply being content and inspired to pick up pens, pencils, pastels, brushes, etc. and scribble, sketch, draw, paint, etch, etc. and to create something that you simply wish to create for the love of it.

Am I proud of my design work, yes, do I enjoy solving problems, yes, And sure, I’ve even enjoyed it at times. But at the end of the day, what I create is a product intended to market. Its a job. It can be a job I enjoy at times, but at the end of the day, when I come into work, I don’t just create for the sheer pleasure and experience of creating art for my own enjoyment.

1 Like

Interesating, I stil do 2D geometrical logo designs that make a first good impression based on graphic design considerations similar to minimalism that is one of NY’s top design styles. Important to understand the fact that you will decide to create a 3D Portfolio somewere in the next years if you decide to advance in the IT Industry. I don’t know if is woth your time to actaully draw a portrait rather then just use AI’s drawing options witch is also important, beeing a Photoshop Artist in 2018. The ideea is that you need to understand certain firms policys & terms before having a opinion regarding specific tasks that are private or could result in a profit.

Considering the forum this thread is in is called “Traditional Illustration,” the idea is not so much to be using software. While Illustrator and photoshop art have their place, hand drawn, traditional illustration still has a market.

Appreciable

Wow! That’s awesome, you’re so talented, I think you should create Instagram account or something like that and share your talent with other people so they could see it.

1 Like

Thanks russel_sherman. I have an instagram. I haven’t been posting much lately because life. My instagram is cejeffries!

1 Like

Olympia sketch is really outstanding when you shared step by step images of your work. And Walgreen Drugs art is really eye catchy, really creative.

That’s amazing :heart_eyes:
I wish I could draw like you. But the only types of art available to me are puzzles and diamond paintings. Check the last one here link removed. It’s like a puzzle, but it has thousands of pixels which I fill with the proper color. That satisfies me to some extent.

I like Diamond painting too. Working on a rather large one right now. If you want to show your work feel free to start a new thread in Off Topic with the actual picture of what you were referring to. I couldn’t find what one was your entry. I’m assuming you weren’t just spamming the selling site :wink:

or post in our https://www.graphicdesignforum.org/t/crafter-thread/1139 :slight_smile: