Illustrator clipping mask not holding when I save?

I’m having this issue where I have a 5.5 x 60 in. clipping mask design that is not holding when I save, close, and reopen the file. I tried pasting into a new Illustrator file and also saving as an EPS but neither of those worked. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

When was the last time your computer was restarted?

Have you tried resetting Illustrator preferences?

What version of Illustrator?

What’s beeing masked? Raster image(s)? Vector objects?

Is the masking object rectangular or an irregular shape?

When was the last time your computer was restarted?
I had this issue months back and forgot about it but I had to revisit these files for print today. The same issue is happening on everyone’s computer here when they try to make the clipping mask, save, and reopen the files.

Have you tried resetting Illustrator preferences?
Yes, didn’t fix the issue, unfortunately.

What version of Illustrator?

What’s being masked? Raster image(s)? Vector objects?
large vector patterns

Is the masking object rectangular or an irregular shape?
rectangular 5.5 x 60 in.

I’ll assume you mean with this particular file, or series of files that were all composed via like methods. With the information you’ve given, it reads like a misbehavior on Illustrator’s part, but considering it’s hapening across multiple users, perhaps it could have something to do with the pattern-generating method. I don’t know.

If no other way around it is found, I would just save a copy in which I apply the mask desrtuctively by expanding the pattern and deleting everything outside the masking rectangle using Pathfinder > Crop.

making copies and using the Pathfinder > Crop method seems to have worked, I’ll update if we run into issues again, thanks!

1 Like

Why eps? Save as. Ai with PDF compatible checked?

Eps is considered archaic and has been for a long time.

Nothing wrong with it, still use eps myself but I have am archaic workflow which is why eps is still supported.

But if you don’t need eps then .ai would be better.