iMac 2019 release

Apple has just announced that the iMac 2019 will be available to order on March 19, 2019 from Apple.com and the Apple Store app.

If you want to walk into a store to pick one up, then Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Resellers will begin selling them in the week beginning March 25.

Link to full article: https://www.techradar.com/au/news/imac-2019

Just thought some of you might be interested. Anyone else using an iMac? Mine is from 2015 so I’m saving for the 2019 upgrade this year.

Holy cow! Max out the new iMac Pro (not the regular iMac) and it comes to nearly $16,000. Even the middle-of-the-road pro model is over $4,000.

I hate to say it, but switching to a PC is looking better and better all the time.

Much as I want one for work, can’t justify it.
I am thinking it is time to get an SSD diagnostic tool though. Those things have a half life.

No, No… that’s… uh… a most… reasonable price?
Oh c’mon Apple!

iMac is really good for designers, since I have been using if for just one yr more, I cannot stop using it… making my work very efficient! :v:

Be fair to yourself; if your work is very efficient that’s your doing. The computer is a tool. If the one you have is working well that’s great, but there is nothing uniquely magical about an iMac or any other box.

Yes, and so are a couple hundred other models. Mac superiority is such a tired myth; there is no material basis for its persistence. In fact, it’s really only this false paradigm that empowers Apple to keep inflating prices. I watch with puzzlement while “at any price, a Mac is must-have for graphic design” continues to be preached while those very same same ministers of Apple faith vociferously despise Adobe (the makers of something truly is superior to all its competitors) for “holding their files hostage”.

We see this from different viewpoints, HotButton.

I have always preferred Macs and not because I like Apple or like their hardware (although I do like their hardware). I use Macs because of the Mac OS. I personally find Windows frustratingly awkward to use and bassackwardly conceived with, what is to me, an inferior user interface. This is just my personal opinion and mostly the result of me being more familiar with Macs since I started out with them at a time when Windows didn’t exists and wasn’t a viable platform for design once it was first released. Your personal experience is apparently different and so is your preference, which is fine.

I also use the Mac OS because several of my must-have applications, like BBEdit, Glyphs and Transmit are only made for the Mac OS. Yes, there are somewhat equivalent Windows products, but again, it’s a matter of familiarity and having built an entire work routine around those things I know.

I also require that most everyone in my workgroup use Macs since much of our work makes extensive use of AppleScript and AppleScript combined with RegEx for time-saving and efficiency purposes. This has nothing to do with an evangelism of Apple. Since our work tends to get passed around, we need compatibility.

As for Apple, the company, I have no emotional attachment to it and dislike some of their business practices and pricing structures. Neither do I like Apple’s iOS products and tend to prefer Android because of how Apple locks down certain aspects of how their iOS products can be used. I stopped using iOS when Apple bricked my iPad after one of their software updates and I couldn’t remember the email I used to register it. I liked the Samsung replacement even better, so I’ve stuck with them for mobile devices.

I don’t know anyone of the “Apple faith” but some likely still exist — even years after Windows became totally viable for graphic design. I’m puzzled how anyone can develop a loyalty to a multi-billion-dollar business. However, I get tired of some Windows users who insist that Mac users are deceived and gullible. It’s probably the same sort of annoyance that some Windows users feel when they hear some Mac fans praising the supposed inherent superiority of their favorite computer.

Honestly, if I were starting out with no previous baggage, I’d likely head in the Windows direction for the simple reason that the initial cost of the hardware is a bit cheaper. I occasionally get so annoyed with Apple that I consider switching, but after a few hours using Windows, I’m willing to swallow my dislike of Apple and head back to their OS that I personally like so much better.

I also prefer European motorcycles to American or Japanese motorcycles. I greatly prefer manual to automatic transmissions. I prefer raspberries to strawberries and dislike thin, greasy, limp New York-style pizza that others love. I also have no use for spectator sports. These are all just personal preferences, which are fine in the same way that most any other personal preferences that others might have are fine — even when they’re 180-degree opposites of my own preferences.

If someone wants to sing the praises of their new iMac, HP or Dell, that’s great. For that matter, if someone likes Windows better than the Mac OS or Linux or whatever, that’s fine too. I really do roll my eyes at anything resembling the Ford vs Chevy user wars or arguments of whether Coke or Pepsi is inherently better when it’s all just personal preference and a willingness to pay the price, whatever that price might be.

As for Adobe, yes, I do dislike the company as much as I dislike Apple the company (I probably dislike them more). Adobe’s software keeps getting more bloated and buggy and they keep dipping into my bank account and siphoning off money for “upgrades” and features that I don’t even want. Apple, despite its flaws, has never charged me a monthly fee for using their computer and threatened to take away my livelihood if I decide to stop.

1 Like

Your fair-minded and thoughtful response is right in character, B. Of course all your cool-headed points are valid, and surely it’s true that formative experience, which is often circumstantial, is the strongest influence over matured and fully seated preference. It’s always interesting too, when someone who prefers the Mac OS explains their reasons, and the expressions of frustration with the Windows OS mirror what I’d say about the Mac. I find the Mac OS toy like and inflexible in its simplicity, whereas the relatively full-featured Windows OS feels as though my inclination to tinker and customize is better satisfied.

Individual experience aside though, unlike the all-Mac shop you oversee, I inherited, and then spent almost 15 years managing, an in-house communications operation where both platforms lived and that experience soured me on Mac, and Apple—probably forever.

So yes, even though my contempt isn’t well concealed, I try to be fair about a preference for Mac. I just don’t react well when it seems suggested that the very concept of the modern Mac is so far removed and so far above everything else in the personal computing realm that any other choice is that of a fool.

On that we do disagree, but again personal experience equates. The mis-named “Creative Cloud” isn’t my first experience with a software subscription model as it seems to be for most creative pros who express their dislike of it. That doesn’t mean I’m a fan, but having already experienced the monthly bill to use software concept, I think I absorbed the shock of the change in a way that subscription model “virgins” couldn’t. I mean, really no one has “threatened to take away our livelihood.” It’s more just a change in the way we lay out the cost of doing business.

This is a good example of how two reasonable people can have similar experiences and arrive at different conclusions. When I worked at a newspaper, it was a mixed environment of proprietary computers, Macs and Windows (artists on Macs, reporters on Windows, pagination on a system called Triple I). Servicing and networking them all together was a mess that we decided to fix when we did a wholesale replacement of the entire system.

An analysis of what required the most user support and service lead us to conclude that the somewhat higher prices of the Mac hardware would be more than offset by the lower cost of user support, maintenance and their longer lifespan compared to the PCs we had been buying, so we went with an all-Macintosh system. This was about 20 years ago. I doubt we would have reached the same conclusions today now that Windows and PC hardware have greatly improved. Even so, like you, it permanently shifted me off in one direction — just a different one from yours.

As for software subscription-based models — especially those that automatically renew — they’re becoming increasingly common, of course, because they’re more efficient and result in a steady revenue stream without as many lapses. As a user, though, I still dislike them.

Despite my dislike of subscription models, I have an interesting relationship with them. A government agency client I work with, that I won’t mention by name, makes a large part of its operating revenue through the licenses it sells.

We made a well-researched proposal to them to switch to a subscription model that automatically renews licenses each year as opposed to treating each license as a separate piece of paper that expires and must be consciously purchased each year by the license holder. We found that the average lapsed period for each license was about two months per year and that closing this gap would result in several million dollars per year in additional revenue for the agency.

They were totally perplexed by the concept and incredulous about it working, even though we supplied them with all the research and figures. I’m certain that within four or five years, as other state agencies begin doing the same, they’ll come around, but that’s another story.

Well, I went out yesterday and bought the latest iMac. Visually, it looks identical to my late 2013 model.

So far running great. A million times faster than my old machine which was giving me rainbow beach balls several times a day. Partly due to age more than anything. I’m looking forward to working with a fast machine again. I was getting to the point I would do something on my iMac, then work on my laptop while it was thinking about it. Not ideal.

The new iMac comes with with 8GB ram but they make it super easy to upgrade this yourself. You can buy third party ram, which I’ve already done. I highly recommend that you do this rather than upgrade via Apple as they charge about $700 more to do so.

I wouldn’t say I’m an Apple fan girl, I’ve never had an iPhone, but I do like the sleek design of the iMacs.