InDesign CC 2014 - print and digital publication from one document? HELP

Hello All!

I badly need help with an important task. I need to compile my architectural portfolio ASAP, both as a printed book and a digital publication (to go on issuu or behance). The printed version is supposed to be shorter and include only a part of the digital full-version one. So my initial plan was to execute the document with “intent” set to “print” and then convert a copy to “digital publishing” and edit (in a Terry White tutorial from Adobe it is said changing “intent” after completion should be uncomplicated). I did a test with a few pages - during conversion the layouts got messed up (relocated and rescaled). I tried doing some research on it and it seems there indeed is a problem with switching between print and screen resolution in the newer InDesign versions. I’ve come across advice to start from scratch or even to try to script InDesign. I find it hard to believe there isn’t a simple way to use the same document? I’m a beginner with InDesign CC 2014, I’ve only worked with InDesign CS 5.5 before and simple pdfs. Please help.

Best regards

Not sure how you are even using InD CC2014. Adobe hasn’t supported that for a while now. They are on CC 2020 now (though 2020 is version 15.x)

I don’t think you can simply change your “intent” setting. You might try going through the “Publish Online” function instead. It should be an active tab at the right top Indesign menu bar, or turn it on in your Preferences if it’s been deactivated. You will need an Adobe Account.

Thank you for your answear. No such option on my bar - besides I wouldn’t like to publish it in the adobe cloud, I need a pdf that I can upload anywhere or share via dropbox / email etc. It’s a borrowed machine and I just need to finish this one old thing with it. As you can see, for me it’s still quite a leap :wink: True, it’s been years since I last touched InDesign. So are you saying it can’t be done with this version? If you check out Terry White “How To Get Started With Adobe InDesign CC - 10 Things Beginners Want To Know How To Do” he says in the beginning intent doesn’t matter and it can be easily changed afterwards. And it seems it can, it just disrupts the layout. Or is there another way to do it? I’d greatly appreciate any ideas :slight_smile:

OK, it seems I’ve solved it! Rather weird, but when I don’t tick “preview” while changing intent, the layout is preserved. Without preview mode I can switch between print and digital publication back and forth. The only thing that is different is the bleed, so need to get rid of that while shifting to digital.
Best regards.

1 Like