Indesign crash report

I was trying to export my indesign document to pdf and it crashed and since then it is giving me the same error report. I haveformatted my laptop but still showing the same.

What does the error say exactly?
Reformatting your laptop is a pretty drastic attempt to fix what is probably a corrupt file.
A restart is usually a better place to start.
Is it just that one file?
Does it save otherwise? Or does that give you an error too.
While not ideal, you could try exporting as an IDML and opening from that and try exporting. Doing the IDML usually clears an export error, but it could mess with your layer formatting a bit.

Check if there are any error codes or messages shown. If you have that error message, sharing it might lead you to solutions encountered.
check if any antivirus, firewall, or other software interfering with InDesign’s processes.
You can repair InDesign installation or either reset InDesign preferences.

It’s nothing to do with the system - it’s usually the file

Export 50% - that is pages 1-50 then 51-100
Whichever side it crashes on is where the problem is
then divide and conquer again.

========
If it’s just that document

If a document is not behaving well then try

File>Export

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

====
If it’s all documents

Try resetting your preferences:

Windows: Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
macOS: While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select ‘Yes’ on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:

====
If that’s not working

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to solve installation problems

2 Likes

What he said :point_up:. I will add that most of the time my errors revolve around font issues.

This is a 12 day old post. They’ve probably either fixed it or thrown their whole computer off the loading dock by now. :laughing:
I wanted to start with the error message.
But Smurf2 hit just about every point in order.

Fonts yes tend to be a problem. Sometimes it is fonts + Spot colors with a transparency effect on or under them. But often some garbage just gets in the works that’ll crash a pdf and exporting as IDML will fix it.