Inkscape vs Illustrator

there is one similar thread about Illu vs CDr but this one think will be great kick in the corporate brass panels in front of Adobe headquarters!

You know I completely agree nowadays Illustrator is really annoying and if there are not for some kinky plugs for it probably I’ll never open it again!

Inkscape doesn’t support CMYK, which is pretty much an immediate deal-killer for me.

2 Likes

I really don’t understand the problem people have with Adobe software. Illustrator is the industry standard.

I don’t get it. If you work in the Design industry, you should know the Adobe suite, especially for print, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator.

If you’re not in print, I agree there are probably other options, but I don’t know these fields outside of print well enough to say for sure.

1 Like

Professionals do!

1 Like

Doesn’t want to sacrifice his freedom for bells and whistles…
What does the even mean - is his freedom under threat?

Adobe adds things that others need too. That’s the point.
The other stuff is still there - you don’t have to use it if it’s not for you.

'It’s like going into a town square and seeing an advert for guitar lessons - you phone them and shout at them ‘I don’t want guitar lessons!’ - Ricky Gervais

He’s recommending open PDFs in Illustrator - then backtracks.

‘No real complaints sharing with others using Adobe - partly because I know the inconsistencies’
Well, that’s 99% of the battle.

I use RGB files sent to me - and place them directly in InDesign (Illustrator) - I never convert them anymore.
I only convert on output - to whatever output I’m doing. If it’s print - it gets converted to a CMYK profile.

Printers not touching RGB - it’s true - some don’t have the know-how or stuck in a dark ages scenario - or simply don’t have staff with the skill sets.
But everyday PDFX4a is being pushed further and further and becoming a standard in printing.

I don’t agree with what they’re saying 'It’s the printer’s job etc. ’ They’re saying they are the professional printers and it’s their job etc.
You are a professional designer - you should know how to send perfect print-ready files to the printer. Throwing files at them with anything in it is wrong - you should always talk to your printer vendor before sending anything to them. Find out what they need, what they prefer.

Colours won’t match from sRGB to CMYK - of course, they won’t - and I hope that is explained to the customer - that the colours will shift - so you always get a printed sample.

OR you can send a printed sample to your print vendor.

Bigging up VistaPrint??? WTF?

It takes time to convert/fix and output files - if you can send them properly in the first place you save yourself time/money at prepress.
Vista Print are doing blanket conversions and Gang-Runs of print products - that’s how they can print so cheap.

I’ve actually got printed samples from Vista to show a customer - compared to our own prints and our own were superior in colour, quality of paper stock (same grammage and coating).

If your printer says yeh send a file with sRGB, LAB, CMYK it’s all fine we convert it for you - then send that.
If the printer asks for CMYK only - send that - don’t send something they have to spend time converting for you - as it will be costly - prepress rates for fixing files can be expensive.

Talk to your print vendor. It’s easier.

I have to stop there - it’s pretty boring and a mixed wrong message.

He is twisting aspects to suit himself - you can use anything to design for print.
I’ve used MS Publisher for hi-end car manufacturer - to create the books that come in the car with all their info.

It’s great when you know what you’re doing - why you’re doing it - and how to fix it . But the problems are that when you don’t - you’re in trouble.

I would be the same though any printer that threw a file back because of RGB I’d want to rip them a new one.

This guy clearly knows what he is doing and has no issue communicating with printers and customers.

I don’t have a problem with that.
I send RGB files all the time to print - there’s never an issue.
or rather I convert on output to what I need at the time.

I’d rarely convert a image to CMYK - unless it’s colour critical and needs to be managed correctly.
And there is NOTHING wrong with a CMYK JPG.

Like a noob I opened inkscape - made cmyk dots.
Made PDF.

Result…wtf

We’d actually prefer you send RGB image links for sure. And not CMYK images converted to RGB. That doesn’t work. And sRGB images are garbage too. Just sayin.
We apply machine/ink/media profiles to your art so things come out beautiful. A designer is not going to have any of these combo profiles in their little Adobe drop down menus. In fact, a lot of the more custom print processes I use have proprietary profiles. No one outside the company has them.

RGB photos have more color information. If you have access to the RAW files, ProPhoto RGB is the absolute best. Yes we are converting to CMYK (with LC, LM, and sometimes OGV) but our machines have a much wider ink gamut than the standard CMYK press. The more color info we have in the imagery, the better the conversion. Once an image is converted to CMYK, all of that color info is lost so trying to switch it back to RGB does NOT work. The info is already gone. Best to just leave it alone at that point.

1 Like

As for youtube videos based on opinion? Yeah… I don’t watch those. Very low threshold for that kind of thing.

1 Like

Just for the sake of clarity, it might be good to point out to others that you work with digital multi-color printing (6-colors?) that doesn’t conform to the same 4-color CMYK separations that are used in offset work. If someone sends you CMYK files, those CMYK channels need to be reseparated to accommodate your multi-color process. That being the case, it’s better to send you RGB files since your printing process, like most digital printing, can accommodate much more of the larger RGB color gamut. Is that correct?

For 4-color process offset work, my preference is still to send printers CMYK files rather than have their RIP do the conversion from RGB to CMYK on the fly. That way, I’m not surprised when an RGB file that I sent turns into a dull, lifeless CMYK version of its former self on the offset press.

Yes, I used to have a sig that said something to the effect that
“PD works in large format print, and his remarks may not reflect the conventional print world.”

Where I’m talking RGB is linked imagery. If you are doing corporate work using process colors, then CMYK would be prudent. Otherwise it’s Pantone coated all the way (the palette is read regardless of color space and converted to best profile match. If you want it closer than profile, we can chart match as well.)

1 Like

aside the cmyk output which also can be done by the ghost’script plug as ChrisR points also in the video eventually that option will be included in the later versions for sure, now if I compare it what is better separation for cmyk surely adobe has own history in it, yet ChrisR has point when says without proof from the printshop again results can come dull or unexpected, its word for good practice so one need to know own local print houses, eventually my experience was as always for cmyk consult the guy behind the film, not rarely he will point me earlier eg. that the glossy paper will behave differently so he would do the separation etc. must acknowledge I am not so versed in all aspects of color separation …

• anyway, what personally find more fluid by inkscape is the UI also the effects are something way out of this world when working with 3D svg, on other hand what makes for me difference is the price, not that I dont want to pay for Illu but to pay and repay for second machine cmon corporatism parexellance, at least they can have more loosen policy for third world countries where minimal salary is 200$ but they simply dont care so also piracy rulz, yet still in my opinion it dont worth for the money compared to Inkscape …

• another benefit of inkscape is that is something that surprise me with every new version, and what I expect later is the same to be merged with some 3d app like blender or have some unique pipeline, but one thing are expectations another real possibility or will for cross’platform push … who knows maybe Adobe will jump then on houdini bandwagon :slight_smile:

Benefit of inkscape =0

Well, it is cheaper. :wink:

Honestly, I haven’t played around with Inkscape for years. At the time, I found it nearly unusable and extremely unstable. It’s probably much better than it was then. It might be time to take another look.

Well if you want cheap and you want good, pick one you can’t have both.

Anything other than digital, inkscape is a disaster.

Plain and simple.

yeah mainstreamers! go watch cnn! have You ever made 3d svg with illustrator? in what century You live :slight_smile:

I’ve never had a need for 3d svg, but speaking of free, wouldn’t that be better done in Blender.

I’m open-minded about Inkscape. I just dismissed it years ago as nowhere good enough. Like I said, maybe it’s changed, and from what you’ve said, it apparently has. If I switched away from Illustrator, though, I’d use Affinity’s Designer, which I have used and liked. I think I will download a copy of Inkscape to see how it compares to my memory of it.

I live in the current century. What kind if asinine query is that?

1 Like

I turned my back less than an hour. What just happened?

Yeh downloaded it this morning. And used it pretty much all day.

Like quark in a way, if you remember back that far

How you’d dump illustrator for this? Don’t get it.

Affinity, maybe, but Illustrator stills win it for me.

I learned originally in Corel and when it came to switching to illy it was confusing.

But I see why the switch was essential.

I have a print only background, so backing anything non print centric is difficult for me.

Yeh for a hobbyist it’s fine.

Commercial world… I don’t get it.
It’s 2 quid a day. I spend more on coffee and lunch a day…

my experience is different … I can freely make auto analogy like honda vs lexus, even that is incomparable maybe honda and rroyce, as I said check the 3d shaders as filters, also You can master them separately and achieve extra results, sure there is some use of them in Illu but way less fluid altho crisper as is case with the gradients too, but even then Inkscape is fairly good but utmost better in case of effects and scripts, what to say in the end its free after all and its on level of experience, surely You cant give right judgement if You are not deepen in it, so the proposed designer in the video is good reference, yet even he is not pointing on all advantages …