Instagram account pros for a freelancer?

Hello all! First time poster here.
As a freelancer we wear a lot of hats and I am trying to decide if starting an IG account will be beneficial for my freelance design biz. I do have another part time job besides being a freelancer so my time is pretty limited. (Also a wife and mother)
I am wondering if y’all have gained clients from your IG accounts? Your reasons for having an IG account? Any info would help.

1 Like

Things to consider:

– Who is your target market?

– Is your target market looking for designers on IG?

– Is there some other strategic reason to have a business IG account such as sending people there to see work samples if you don’t have a dedicated website?

– Is there a strategic reason to raise your profile among other designers that troll IG for inspiration or ideas to steal (yeah, that happens)?

– Do you offer photography services along with design services?

I don’t have an IG account for my design business because I don’t think my target market is using IG to find designers.

Instagram is a tough one to crack for businesses. Viewers don’t want to feel like they are being advertised to, but they love looking at engaging, inspirational and interesting content.

I have an instagram account which I have gotten both photography and graphic design clients through. I don’t post much design on there as they don’t do as well as photography posts. Instagram seems to be a better platform for photographers than designers. My account is based around food, so my photography work is only food photography and I try to only post graphic design pieces from food related industries.

If you do go this route, I suggest you clarify your niche and stick to it. Don’t post too many types of work on your account unless you excel at everything.