Introduction

Welcome to the forum. Stay awhile!

1 Like

Thank you so much! We are given an assignment to sign up to the two links that we were given, or any others that we were able to find. I chose this one. I really like that I can communicate with others and you professionals out there. I’m really am excited to be apart of something. I’m sure some of the students just sign up so that they can finish the assignment, but I want more out of what I’m going to school for. I’ve dreamed about doing this literally since I was a little girl. I’m finally able to make that dream come true for myself. Thank you all for your feedback!

2 Likes

No, our professor just says to write an introduction. I guess I’m not really good at introductions, but I’ll work on that for future references. Thank you.

You are most welcome :heart:

and …

We have folks here who know every nook and cranny of the business. It’s a great resource for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great to know! With being in my first week of school, I’ll definitely be having some questions here soon! :heart:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: HiddonAve Introduction

cmontgomery — I’m glad you are a part of our community. One thing new posters from LAFS forget, is to be sure to include a specific question. Without a question there is little us old-timers can say. I am a recently retired Creative Professional with 50-years of experience in graphic design, writing, TV and radio production, so there are few areas in which I could not provide advice. So, ask away!

1 Like

GOOD FOR YOU, C!—Like you, I wanted to be a Creative Professional from the time I picked up my first crayon. Never stop dreaming. Never stop wanting more than what your professors give to you or even think of you. Never stop learning, reaching for more, doing all you can to be your very best. And like me, one day will look back at a a very successful career and be amazed at what you have accomplished, because to you, it will seem like you never worked a single day in your life.

That’s an impressive statement and it’s the kind of dedication that’s needed to be successful in this field.

It’s not an easy field to break into because the number of design graduates exceeds the number of available jobs. The only way to break through this log jam is to out compete the others who aren’t quite as willing to go the extra mile, don’t want to do the extra work, don’t practice quite as hard or who fail to take full advantage of the opportunities that arise.

2 Likes

Hi Chelsea, I,m Heather, I am also a student at The LaFilm School. Im currently taking graphic design too. Maybe we can help each other in the future. Good luck with school.

2 Likes

Ya’ll should be a little more careful with personal info handed out online. Maybe a mod will be along to remove some details or you could try contacting one of them.

3 Likes

PrintDriver brings up a very valid point. You should always be very careful how much personal info you give out. So I’ve removed all the personal info :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, internet safety is a must.

Steve_O,
We were instructed to introduce ourselves and create a bio for our profile. We weren’t really given much info as to what to include with our introduction post to the forum.

1 Like

Hi Heather! That sounds great to me! Good luck to you as well!

Thanks so much Pops! It’s great to hear from designers, who have been there done that and worked to get to where they are now! Very impressive and inspiring! Unfortunately, (on a personal note) I’m having a little trouble with my financial aid. Therefore, I have to put a hold on my classes. I’m going to work hard to make payments so that I can finish. Being in this group has definitely pushed me to want to be more like yall and do better! So I will not give up. But I still hope to be apart of this group! I really enjoy talking to some great designers, and learning from yall! :heart:

So sorry about your financial aid. Everything in economics is wonky these days, but if the stock market is any Indicator (and it is) the near term economic picture is looking up. If your school is like most, they rely upon other corporations for donations to sustain their financial aid and I believe these should pickup substantially next year as corporations seek to pad their taxes through donations to schools, etc.

In the meantime, you might want to do what I did to get my first professional job as an Art Director’s Assistant. That was to take companies I liked and create my own graphic designs, headlines, and body copy to show a potential employer what I could do (especially in the industries I wanted to pursue for a startup career position.)

May God Bless You Richly and I wish for you, the best of success. Oh yes, when you create these portfolio designs, run them past the helpful folks on this forum. We would love to see your work.

1 Like

Thank you so much, for the kind words! I have an interview next week for our local newspaper. I’m very excited about the opportunity and I hope I get it! I would love to share some of my designs with yall. I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks again! I love it here!

Wonderful! I hope you get the job! It would be a great starter position for you and you can count on me to pray for you regarding this and to hope for a positive outcome. (By the way, I gather, since you are using the term Y’all, that you are probably a Southerner like myself! True?)

1 Like

Thank you so much! That means a lot! Yessir I am! I come from a small town in Texas.