Introduction

Ya’ll should be a little more careful with personal info handed out online. Maybe a mod will be along to remove some details or you could try contacting one of them.

3 Likes

PrintDriver brings up a very valid point. You should always be very careful how much personal info you give out. So I’ve removed all the personal info :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, internet safety is a must.

Steve_O,
We were instructed to introduce ourselves and create a bio for our profile. We weren’t really given much info as to what to include with our introduction post to the forum.

1 Like

Hi Heather! That sounds great to me! Good luck to you as well!

Thanks so much Pops! It’s great to hear from designers, who have been there done that and worked to get to where they are now! Very impressive and inspiring! Unfortunately, (on a personal note) I’m having a little trouble with my financial aid. Therefore, I have to put a hold on my classes. I’m going to work hard to make payments so that I can finish. Being in this group has definitely pushed me to want to be more like yall and do better! So I will not give up. But I still hope to be apart of this group! I really enjoy talking to some great designers, and learning from yall! :heart:

So sorry about your financial aid. Everything in economics is wonky these days, but if the stock market is any Indicator (and it is) the near term economic picture is looking up. If your school is like most, they rely upon other corporations for donations to sustain their financial aid and I believe these should pickup substantially next year as corporations seek to pad their taxes through donations to schools, etc.

In the meantime, you might want to do what I did to get my first professional job as an Art Director’s Assistant. That was to take companies I liked and create my own graphic designs, headlines, and body copy to show a potential employer what I could do (especially in the industries I wanted to pursue for a startup career position.)

May God Bless You Richly and I wish for you, the best of success. Oh yes, when you create these portfolio designs, run them past the helpful folks on this forum. We would love to see your work.

1 Like

Thank you so much, for the kind words! I have an interview next week for our local newspaper. I’m very excited about the opportunity and I hope I get it! I would love to share some of my designs with yall. I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks again! I love it here!

Wonderful! I hope you get the job! It would be a great starter position for you and you can count on me to pray for you regarding this and to hope for a positive outcome. (By the way, I gather, since you are using the term Y’all, that you are probably a Southerner like myself! True?)

1 Like

Thank you so much! That means a lot! Yessir I am! I come from a small town in Texas.

Best of luck for the newspaper gig! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thank you so much!!!

Kentucky, here! … Interesting FYI—I once had a client who was originally from Texas who said the largest percentage of Texas pioneers were not from Tennessee as most people suppose, but were pioneers from Kentucky who went west to Texas after the Cane Ridge Revival in 1801 because they felt Kentucky was becoming too “spiritual and civilized.”

Also, by the way, here is the URL to a Nov. 11th news story that has been stirring up quite a bit of interest in Kentucky these days.

1 Like

Here’s another “By The Way”—You don’t necessarily have to have a college degree to secure a good starting job in design (I didn’t). It is the quality of your work that is more important to potential employers. And once you “get your foot in the door” moving on up in the business will be easier than you might think.

1 Like

That’s really good to know, thank you! I’m really hoping things will fall into place. It’s been a tough year for everyone personally myself included. But I won’t give up on it.

Chelsea, I really meant it when I said I am praying for you. My relationship with Christ is very real and personal to me, so you can count on it. I am praying you will do your best on the interview, but if a job at the newspaper is not forthcoming (yet) it is far from being the end of the world. It is only a first step, and the beginning of a wonderful journey either way. Remember that God usually has three answers—“Yes, No, and Not Now”. And that is a comforting thought.

1 Like

I am a believer! So that really means a lot to me. I can’t thank you enough for that and for the wisdom you share with me. I believe things happen for a reason! You’re awesome thanks again! I really appreciate it!

A post was split to a new topic: Hello my name is dymane

A post was split to a new topic: Intro for kellysmithey