Just starting out - HELP!

Higher ed was much cheaper when I was in school. It’s not nearly as affordable today — at least here in the U.S.

I spent two years at a local community college pursuing physics and astronomy. Ended up with an AS degree. Took a year off to earn some money while deciding that I liked art more than physics. Got accepted into a BFA program at a university and picked graphic design as my area of emphasis. Ten years later, I went back for an MFA that my workplace paid for.

About ten years ago, I almost went back for another master’s degree at another university, but couldn’t justify the cost.

I was trying to imagine what sort of degrees would be directly relevant to graphic design, besides fine arts of course.

Communication, advertising, business, marketing, and various permutations of those things.

The MA degree I considered but didn’t pursue was a Masters of Strategic Communication. The MFA I did pursue was related to typography and publication design. A cool thing about many arts-oriented master’s programs is that they’re often malleable and self-directed under a graduate committee’s (loose) supervision. There are regular classes, but much of the time is spent exploring whatever ideas seem applicable to the thesis or dissertation you’ve decided upon. It’s not for those who don’t enjoy school, though.

How do you know that?

There are many possible business models. For instance, I once did some work for an online company that specialized in branding packages for realtors. A smart niche market as realtors may tend to have higher budgets. It was crap work, as you might expect, but a successful business, though I assume they spent a lot of effort finding clients.

I should have phrased that differently. I should have said that I only know of one or two, and that a business focused only on logo design and stationery would be competing directly with the $60 crowdsourcing stuff in countries where the cost of living is much lower.

Is a niche business for this possible if done right. Yeah, I suppose, but it seems like a long shot to me.

I haven’t even finished reading this post and already I have to say you guys are badass mothers… Right to the facts and no bull. I appreciate you all and this forum!!!