Latest style?

here you go:
http://bfy.tw/HAkM

3 Likes

If you are nauseated, you can take yourself out of the discussion any time.

And your example is a pointless straw man. Trends are about style, not about composition.

If a client asked me to draw a human skeleton, I donā€™t need to draw a skeleton using the latest style of illustration. I can draw a skeleton with my own style of illustration.

1 Like

Eric,

1. Chill the tone or remove your nauseated self
  2. Ask an open ended question and you are going to get an open ended reply.

Thatā€™s how it works.

4 Likes

He got what he needed.
Webcasts arenā€™t technically ā€œTVā€ but weā€™ll give it a pass.
Studio looks change up fairly regularly once a trend starts taking hold.
Not sure what a template is though, unless itā€™s VR for greenscreen. I love working onsite on a green set if they have a monitor set up so you can see yourself in the VR newsroom. Itā€™s freakinā€™ cool.

1 Like

Just read this, and my jaw is still hanging open.

1 Like

A crown. Definitely a crown. Not just any crown though, it has to be the trendy, gold one with 4 tines. :crown:

3 Likes

But it has to take a month for you to draw just one tine.

1 Like

lmao you two :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

PrintDriver

But it has to take a month for you to draw just one tine.

Seems reasonable to me :wink:

I probably interview or talk to 40 or 50 designers in an average year who are looking for work. One trend Iā€™ve noticed over the past four or five years is the trend of some recently graduated designers assuming that being trendy is generally, in and of itself, a desirable attribute.

Thereā€™s certainly a place for the latest ā€œinā€ thing on projects as the need arises, but project evaluations rarely identify trendiness as an important outcome goal, and itā€™s almost never a client or audience engagement objective.

Iā€™m unsure how this misguided notion about the general value of chasing trends has taken root. Itā€™s as though some designers have come to equate graphic design with the superficial world of fashion design instead of the business-world profession of visual communication.

Maybe it has something to do with writers and producers of design blogs, books, magazines, podcasts, websites, etc., needing something salable to write and talk about ā€” Iā€™ve certainly noticed a lot more of it recently. Top ten lists, yearly predictions and look-backs have been popular fluff in magazines for years, so maybe itā€™s spilling over into our fieldā€™s publications as well.

The LogoLounge books, Pantoneā€™s color predictions, 99designs and others have all exploited and contributed to this detrimental line of thinking. I was listening to a design podcast the other day where the hosts were saying that serif type is going to make a comeback this year, as if serifs had somehow gone out of style.

From talking to recently graduated students, Iā€™m also gathering that some design school instructors have picked up on the trendiness trend and added it to their arsenal of academic misinformation being communicated it to their students.

Every designer, of course, needs to avoid his or her work becoming dated, but those kinds of stylistic shifts occur slowly over multiple years and decades, not from one year to the next. Noticing that a particular color, shape, technique or whatever seems to be spontaneously rising or declining in popularity might be an interesting observation, but itā€™s typically irrelevant to the job at hand and rarely something on which to base design decisions.

Besides, even if jumping on here-today, gone-tomorrow design bandwagons were important (which it typically is not), by the time trends are noticeable, theyā€™ve most often already peaked and poised for decline.

Whatā€™s most important in this business is identifying client objectives, then developing and implementing strategies that most effectively and efficiently accomplish those objectives. Exaggerating the role that trendy fads and fashions typically play this process is foolish, short-sighted and a disservice to clients who are looking for a return on their investment, not a fashion statement.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s the new culture of short attention spans expecting instant gratification, millennials looking for shortcuts.

I have a suspicion that the OP wanted to see the latest trends in broadcast for his webcast ā€œtemplateā€ so perhaps he could trend beyond them.
Maybe.

If that was the question though, it could have been asked much more clearly and with less abrasiveness.

Maybe, but the quotes below seems to run counter to that interpretation.

Trends can be helpful in design. Not to nessesarily emulate or copy but to get an idea of whatā€™s the thing to that generation or culture or industry.

Design data trends arenā€™t new. Theyā€™ve been around forever. You donā€™t have to like a trend but itā€™s good to know whatā€™s happening in design trends. But you can certainly survive without it.

I think as designers it can help with you want to add or not to add. But to be aware of it can help you.

Also I apologize for my rude behavior yesterday. Not cool. I am very sorry if I defended anyone. I suck.

Anyway, Iā€™m glad you are all passionate about design as am I.

I did more research based on PrintDriverā€™s advice to learn how to google. Ha!

I found this article which was helpful and interesting. Unfortunately, no crowns. :wink:

No worries. Things are easily misinterpreted when not speaking to someone in person. Anyway, after re-reading my first post, I could have phrased it a little more diplomatically too.

1 Like

Researching trends could help if you want something to look modern. However, it could also be distracting from a train of thought that could lead to something far more original and effective. Sometimes the goal of the design isnā€™t trying to look modern. Sometimes itā€™s trying to look futuristic or nostalgic. One of my favorite styles ā€œretrofuturismā€ combines futurism and nostalgia.

Another problem, if too many designers borrow too much, trend research could render a style cliche far sooner than it deserves to be. It could send a good effective style to an early grave.

Mr-B said it best:

If a style is good at solving a particular communication problem, but it gets overused as a solution for a different unrelated problem, itā€™s a waste of a good style. People will be sick of it way before itā€™s reached its full potential usefulness.

Aesthetically speaking, Iā€™m currently working with a couple of emerging design trends. These trends have been really gaining momentum over the last year or so and are seen in graphics, fashion & architecture too.

One is of a clean composition of a few layered elements, such as one a translucency and an opaque. And then those being hit with text, usually a monochromatic strong sans serif. Geometric color accent(s) being sparingly used. This aesthetic is one that invites participation. The viewer is being lead into the layers of the composition.
On the opposite end of the spectrum is the bold use of over powering metallic elements. Again with a strong sans serif and geometric/linear color accents.

As for structuring the actual compositions itā€™s pretty much the same old same old using sound fundamentals. Rhythmically of course it can vary. But there is one exception. Itā€™s a structure which is primarily classic but it is exaggerated to cause a movement play off the other.

Hope that helps, somewhat.

1 Like

Iā€™m so glad to see this stated!

I donā€™t believe in trendy. It means it has to be changed every year or so, because if itā€™s trendy, it gets outdated fast. Which means the expense of redesigning, if one would stay trendy.

I totally agree with finding the best-working elements for a particular brand. That lasts for a while.

And nowā€¦ a confession. I LOVE word clouds. :smiley: I want them to be popular again. Sighā€¦

wordcloud400

The word ā€œtrendyā€ is a bad word in our culture. But design data trends is a tool to help generate what style, color, and mood you need to express at that time. Advertising is built around design data trends. Am I wrong here?