Let's start with Blippo Blk

Ugly is not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of free fonts are missing major parts of the glyph set, but hey. What I really object to are fonts with bad kerning. Stand up Arial, Futura, even Garamond Italic. There are many more.

1 Like

Bad kerning we can put under our control if we have to. Can’t fix ugly though.

Some fonts are not good looking. This I can tolerate. But I am talking godawful ugly. Not fascinating ugly like Alien, just ugly ugly.

Yep. I’d add Algerian to that list.

I just came across three different, separate Madeleine fonts. Amazingly enough, they’re all ugly.

I am starting a new logo project, and one of my first thoughts was, “Trajan might work for this.” Yikes. The funny thing is that it would be a good choice – if it weren’t one of the most overused fonts in the history of fonts.

1 Like

Quite agree. On its own it is a handsome typeface. I wouldn’t let “overused” cloud my decision.

4 Likes

Same here. If it works, it works. Plus, “overused” is the perception among designers, not necessarily your target audience. It’s possible they wouldn’t know Trajan from Bank Gothic.

3 Likes

Trust me … the audience, unless it’s designers of some sort… won’t have a clue what font you used. They will just know it looks good. Never let any critical view of a font prevent you from using it when it works. As much as some won’t want to hear it … Comic Sans even has a place even though we all tend to poke fun at it :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t remember ever using Trajan. It’s not that I wouldn’t use it, it’s just that there are so many other similar serif faces that don’t have the limitation of not having lowercase.

Since Eriskay pointed back to this thread…
We use Trajan a lot. It’s the go-to font for all the dedication plaques in a lot of the old schools around here (not little trophies, big wood wall plaques that are inset into the raised wood paneling of the hallways and study halls.) And it’s wonderfully clean to engrave with a CNC.