Lets talk about mice

Hello everyone, been a while since I’ve posted, and the forum looks… different.

I want to talk about mice and not those orrible little furry things that eat cheese.

I still use a mouse for my Graphic Design work, and am wondering how many others do too?

Also, I’m looking to buy a new mouse, I’m a cheapskate and that is unlikely to change, however, I can probably stretch to around £50-£60 for a half-decent one. I think that’s about $60 ish dollars.

Can anybody recommend a good mouse for design work, please? What mouse do you use, if any?

Cheers, Glitch.

I’ve never been a fan of tablets. I’ve just never gotten used to them so, yeah, I use a mouse for everything the keyboard won’t handle. For me, it’s just the good, old-fashioned, no-longer-made, corded Apple mighty mouse. (I’ve never been a big fan of battery-driven bluetooth peripherals either.)

2 Likes

Thanks B, yeah I’m not sure about tablets either.

It seems a big step moving from a mouse which I have always used, to something entirely foreign to me. Almost like I would be starting from the beginning all over again.

I heard they are like drawing on glass, and harder than actually drawing on paper, which makes me wonder what the appeal is. I draw, scan and then go over it in illustrator using a mouse.

I just think I could do with a more accurate mouse, that’s all. The one I’m using is nothing special, a low cost, cordless Microsoft thing.

I’ve been using one of these things for as long as they have been making them (about 15 years):

No carpal tunnel and I never run out of mousepad/desktop space.
You run the trackball with your index and middle finger, not your thumb, so fine control isn’t an issue, Thumb on the lower left button to click and your ring finger runs the scroll wheel around the ball. Occasionally your pinky gets to use a right click (on a mac that is infrequent.) Programmable for left handed. They take a week or two to break in when you buy a new one. Some people return them because they feel “scratchy” at first. Goes away after a week or two. As for how long it takes you to get used to it…that takes a couple weeks too. Maybe less. Clean every month or so as the dust can get into the balls that do the actual work under the big read one (if your cursor skips, that’s why.)

1 Like

I use a Macally 3 button mouse and a Macally keyboard. Both corded. I didn’t like the feel of the wireless keyboard and mouse that came with the Mac. I need to be able to find home position on the keyboard without looking at the keys, and I had a difficult time orienting to it. The shape of the mouse was uncomfortable, and it was heavier than I’m used to.

If I spent extended amounts of time drawing, then I’d probably go with a tablet. But everything I do is jumping between windows, then entering text, changing file names… typing isn’t as easy when also holding a stylus.

1 Like

I bought a nice Wacom tablet a few years ago, and really tried to get used to it, but I never could. The nib on the pen is plastic and the tablet surface itself is plastic. This creates a plastic on plastic tactile sensation that I just don’t like. If they could simulate how a pencil or pen feels on paper, I’d be more receptive to using it.

1 Like

I’ve owned various Wacoms but they weren’t for me. I don’t do much drawing so I prefer a mouse. I use the wireless magic mouse, scroll function turned off.

I used to worry about carpel tunnel but now that I work freelance, I make sure I regularly schedule time away from my computer and I’ve been sweet as. Look after your hands!

Yeah, I hear you. They probably will one day. I suppose its still fairly new technology, and as such not yet perfected.

The day they make one that feels like drawing on paper, I’m in. Until then, its mice for me.

Thanks PrintDriver,

I’m not sure about that one it looks a bit space shippy for me. I’m boring and don’t much like change, so would prefer something that at least resembles the sort of mouse shape I’m used to.

Good to see you’re still on here though, a fountain of knowledge and you have helped me in the past!

After a lot of research, I have got impatient and have ordered a Razor Deathadder Elite.

It’s a gaming mouse with silly flashing lights, but apparently, its good for designers as it is very precise. It’s not wireless though, which is unfortunate as I hate having lots of wires on my desk. I suppose I can cope with 1 if the mouse is good.

It’s a hard life eh…

Thanks to everyone who replied. GDF still rules!

I use the SlimBlade™ version of that…
https://www.kensington.com/en/ae/4493/k72327eu/slimblade-trackball

I had a bit of RSI from over using a mouse, and while I do use a tablet occationally, most of the time I use a mouse. So I bought one of these vertical ones a few years ago and it has been great.

1 Like

Oooh, that looks cool. Is the thumb button the primary clicker? Or is that still controlled by the forefinger?

If I wasn’t a trackball convert, I’d try that. I’ve had good experiences with other Anker products.

The right and left buttons are normal like any other mouse, there are a couple of buttons directly above the thumb that are labeled as forward and back buttons, but I never use them.

It definitely takes the strain off of your wrist which rests at a much more natural angle. However, if I do a lot of rapid clicking with my index finger, like in some game, I start feeling after short time like with any other mouse.

Yep, that’s my problem too. When are they going to come out with the “bewitched” version? :wink: :smile:
https://youtu.be/XKU48tVNLuc

1 Like

You do realize that probably 95% of the folks on here have know idea what Bewitched is…right?

Yep. That’s what the grand old goog is for. :wink::grimacing::roll_eyes:

… er, ahem … I know what Bewitched is.

1 Like

I remember Bewitched in black & white . . .