Lines(outlines)-Digital pencil drawing when print

I have print question. I want to create digital illustrations for print on demand sites like redbubble. It means I need to create one main ilustration which fits to many product sizes. The recommendation is to start with 7632x6480 px (about 25x 21inches if resolution is 300px per inch) . The problem is I want my drawing to be sketch styled pencil lines. I do not know how big will be the changes, there are so many different sized products and I think how to measure and retain good lines . I think I have to change pencil lines.

I think too much about lines when printing. I need experienced artist’s advice now maybe it should be better to stop thinking too much about lines. Can you advice

I might be misunderstanding, but the only issue I see in what you’ve mentioned is that the scan or photo of the pencil work will need to be very high resolution.

If the pencil illustrations themselves aren’t drawn that large (25 x 21 inches), enlarging them to that size will make the small details in the pencil lines and the paper grain more noticeable. Enlarging a small drawing to that size might be comparable to how your drawings would look when viewed through a magnifying glass.

I work digitally not on paper to scan. Let’s say We do not have sizes 21x25 and 300 ppi. Because they don’t say it. I have 7632 x 6480 canvas size. I can not say how big the lines would be. Someone said if I look my painting 100 percent view I can see real picture I have for print and then change what I do not like. Is it real?

On the other hand There is limit about 13000 x … canvas size which is not enough to retain 300 ppi on all product sizes.So I think my line will be enlarged

@Just-B is correct. If the original is on paper or other media, you have the control of whatever output that you might face. Your workflow is limiting you.

Your mention of pencil made me think of pencil and paper, but it sounds like you’re using a digital pencil or pencil effect of some kind.

Large format printing is typically done at lower resolutions than 300 ppi because it’s usually viewed from further away than the 300 ppi rule of thumb used for printing meant to be viewed from arm’s length. It’s not all that often that an image with a higher pixel count than what you’ve mentioned is needed — even for something as large as a billboard.

I think your concerns are mostly unwarranted. Assuming you’re in Photoshop or a similar application, just display the image at various sizes to see what it looks like. If you want to zoom in on something, that’s fine too. Your linework won’t change in terms of how it looks; it will just get larger or smaller depending on how it’s scaled.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to when you mention “lines,” but if the lines are thin at a high resolution, keep in mind that they’ll be even thinner at a lower resolution. For example, if you draw your illustration at 8000 x 3000 pixels and use thin lines, those lines will be much smaller and thinner when scaled down to 1000 x 375 pixels. This isn’t necessarily a problem, but if the illustration depends on those thin lines being visible and keeping their integrity at small sizes, you might consider making them a bit thicker.

There’s no good rule of thumb for this. It’s a matter of common sense and trusting what you see on your monitor when viewed at different sizes. If it looks good to you when viewed small on your monitor and good when you blow it up to 100%, it should be fine.

You are right. Does 100 percent show original size of print? I ve tried to enlarge 200 percent I assumed it would become something like this in some cases.Maybe it is wrong way to see print result. Ofcourse it depends on monitor too. You are right. I meant photoshop cc drawing pencil (digital) and Line thickness you understood exactly as I wanted to say

That depends on the resolution and size of your monitor. On my 4K monitor, 200% is roughly equivalent to the physical size it will be when printed. Keep in mind that there’s never a one-to-one correlation between the size you see on your monitor and the size it will print.

Maybe this will help…

Get a piece of paper and measure its dimensions. Let’s say it’s 15 x 20 centimeters. Open up Photoshop and create a new document at 300 ppi using those dimensions. Then compare the piece of paper to what your monitor shows at 100%. That will give you a good idea of how close your monitor’s version of that size is to the real thing.

As I understood I don’the have to worry about my 300 ppi lines even resolution becomes 100ppi. I can’t see exactly how it looks like before print and I don’t need to know thickness main is proportion in my drawing ofcourse. And I must consider it if lines are too thin for some problematic products maybe apparels. Thank you so much

When in doubt, print it out.
That’s how I check all art used in projects here. We’ve done some real pencil output at wall size mural scale. With digital pencil you don’t have to worry about scanned paper tooth and line breakup, LOL!

It really sounds like the OP doesn’t understand image resolution. The size of 25"x21" @ 300ppi is what those types of sites want because they often offer poster size images up to about 40"x50" which would halve that 300ppi to 150, which is absolutely perfect for an inkjet print that large and with usual poster viewing distance, even at arm’s length distance. Not to be confused with “fine art” but it is perfectly fine print. We do a lot of educational, museum quality prints at 150ppi.

With line art, it isn’t so much that the line will lose resolution when made smaller. The line becomes smaller. Depending on the resolution of the print device, they may become nonexistent. As I said, check your art by printing it out. A desktop inkjet is perfectly serviceable for that. If you don’t have one, there must be a quick-print place nearby that can pop you a bunch at different sizes for short money.

Thanks