Logo File size and Resolution Question

I just completed a logo for a client, and I’m unsure what file size and resolution I should create for them. They will be using them for both social media and print.
I’m planning on making a PDF, Jpeg, and PNG file. I realize the the PDF doesn’t really matter as it’s vector.

Do you create different sizes of jpeg and png files for versatility on their end? If so, what sizes?

Pretty new to design and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Usually logo size can be adjusted once you drag them into design software like Photoshop or Illustrator and so on. so there is no restriction on it. my suggestion is that make three different size logo such as small size(400 x 400 px ) , medium size (1200 x 1200 px ) and large size (2500 x 2500 px)…

1 Like

Smaller jpegs may be needed for email footers, twitter icon etc. I have done 160x160, 320x320, 640x640 px.

I start with the vector file then I can make jpgs / pngs from that as required. I usually send a range of sizes and say I can make any size needed in future.

1 Like

The initial logo lockup should be a .ai file. Not a .pdf. Definitely not an .eps (that format should be discontinued.)
From there, any competent designer can create all the .jpg, .png, .tif, .whatever files they need.
For client use, who may not be a designer, I wouldn’t create anything that they can use particularly large in a raster format. You can’t take raster logos to a sign shop and have them cut in any fashion. You can’t get them embroidered. You can’t get them silk screened (tho you might get them DTG printed.) Web use and Word use doesn’t require anything very large.

2 Likes

I don’t provide JPEGs any longer unless the client specifically asks for one. I used to provide them, since they can be easily opened and seen by the client, but almost every client today can open a vector-based PDF. I’ve also found that JPEGs tend to proliferate and become the standard passed-around version within the company, which is never good. I see JPEGed logos as having no useful purpose and only supply them when specifically requested by the client. Even then, I only provide it with warnings against using it for anything.

As for what I do supply them, it depends on the situation. If it’s a small operation with no on-staff designers, I’ll give them both .ai and .pdf in B&W, grayscale, CMYK, RGB and Pantone colors. A .png is useful for websites and transparency, but I have no specific sizes and try to give them something in a range that meets their website needs. I’ll also supply them with large, high-res .psd’s.

Depending on the situation, I’ll also supply clients with a version for light backgrounds and one for dark backgrounds.

If the client is somewhat savvy about these things or has an on-staff designer, I’ll typically only supply them with the .ai and .pdf in B&W, grayscale, RGB, CMYK and Pantone colors. I figure they’re in a position to make their own format, size and resolution variations as needed.

In addition, at a very minimum, I’ll supply basic usage instructions for each in an attempt to help the client know what format is most appropriate for various purposes.

1 Like

I usually save a logo at about 7" across so that anyone can just print it out centered on any machine to look at it without changing paper or anything. No big deal but it seems to make them happy to not have to resize.

Often, especially if I know the logo will be used in an office by several different people, I might save 20 or so versions and formats and list what they are used for - and this is important - which should NOT be used for print (i.e. web based/ lower than 300dpi raster).

Doing those extra little saves will keep people coming back because they feel you’ve gone an extra mile. The truth is, you just write a series of action scripts and hit play. Takes 5 minutes for computations, then find and change text on the notes to match client, but it feels like a whole lot more to the customer.

Yes, just for the transparency issues alone.

Does anyone here use this product to automate the whole process of packaging up logos for their clients? I’ve heard and read several people sing praises about how much time it saves them.

1 Like

I have not.

Do you provide the same default folder of files to every client or do you cater it to each client individually every time?
I imagine it’s a standard set of files with additional sizes/file types added upon request.

What size .png files are most requested/needed?

PNG files should always be sized to the exact dimensions needed, and they all differ. Most anyone using a PNG should know this and resample it to size or, better yet, create their own PNG from the vector file.

However, not all clients are savvy about these things and just might upload a gigantic PNG to their website and use CSS to scale it down. This works, but it’s a terrible use of bandwidth on a website. Honestly, PNGs have limited uses — they’re great for websites, slide deck presentations and a few other things, but they shouldn’t be the go-to file for other uses.

All that considered, I don’t have a set of standard PNG sizes to give clients. I’ll typically try to figure out exactly the size they need for something and send them that — along with a few other sizes at, maybe, 1000 pixels wide (or tall) 500 pixels, 250 and maybe 100, but, really, it’s a crapshoot as to how they’ll end up using them unless they have the necessary talent in-house to do it right.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m actually the creator of the tool mentioned above. Feel free to ask me any questions :slight_smile:

Logo Package Express does provide all the standard file formats that you would want to give a client:

• .ai
  • .pdf
  • .eps
  • .svg
  • .jpg
  • .png

You can change the settings to generate whatever combination of those file types you want and the extension will automatically name and folder all of the files with an easy-to-use naming convention and folder structure.

For JPGs and PNGs, it allows you to set both a width and a resolution, so you can provide whatever size your clients need :slight_smile:

1 Like

With regards to raster formats like JPG and PNG, some people provide a small file and a big file (~300px and 900px), but you can’t really go wrong with just providing a large file (1000–1200px). Usually the raster files will scale down nicely, but don’t often scale up nicely — they become blurry when scaled up. Also, a larger file is going to render better on retina screens as well.

You’re right that the vector files don’t need to have any specific size to render well.

I just stumbled across your interview on the Logo Geek podcast. Great interview. I think I’ll spend some money at work and buy Logo Package Express. If it works as advertised, using it twice will more than cover the cost.

What’s your favorite color?

1 Like

Thank you! It was my first ever podcast and no one has been able to confirm that I wasn’t terrible haha.

Don’t have one :frowning: But for logo designs my favorite color GAMUT is CMYK.

1 Like

Isn’t it cool when something you made shows up somewhere else?

Almost 20 years ago I created a large selection of color corrected precious stones and metals. I still see billboards, catalogues and ads with them.