Logo has 342,992 path points (illustrator)

No joke. A “design firm” sent me their logo with over 340,000 points. Their illustrator file is over 40 MB! It’s quite obvious what they did. I’m gonna take a nice raster photo and use live trace to just make it right into a vector file. Great. Done. Perfect. Looks amazing. Send.

Other than using simplify path to reduce the number of points, what the H3LL am I supposed to do with this pile of garbage?

Have to add that it has over 9,000 different “colors” of BLUE.Just blue.

1 Like

I don’t know what they’ve hired you to do, but it sounds like the kind of situation I escape when I can.

1 Like

Wow! Unless there’s more to it than that, this “design firm” does not appear to be a firm that should be taking on paying clients.

2 Likes

I work for a government entity. We are involved with (mostly grant $$ to) a large variety of conservation and sustainability efforts throughout the region. One single project could consist of 5-10 different companies that will work together to complete a specific project. This logo is just one of the partners who are involved with this project. Basically, when I design an project summary report, the back of the report will contain about 10 or so logos of companies that supported the project. Anyhoo. I can definitely escape this one and have the design firm and the screen printer duke it out. I just thought I could speed up the process for him and help him out.

Ah, one of those. There is probably a good chance your source of the logo was a technically un-savvy bloke, and there is a perfectly workable vector file of their logo in more competent hands, somewhere in their organization. You can often obtain good a logo graphic on your own by mining a company’s web site for reports or press releases in PDF that will contain the correct file matter.

2 Likes

Heck, if it’s for a one time print out for the back page of a publication, I’d rasterize it and call it a day. It is crazy though.

2 Likes

Wish that was the case. The online search and pulling out of pdfs is my usual method when i have nothing, but this logo is directing from the incompetent firm that created it. It’s ridiculous. Thanks for help though.

That’s what I was thinking too. If it’s a one-time-thing that’s being dealt with, why not just convert the “logo” to a high-res raster file and use that? I mean, it’s not the kind of thing that can be fixed without starting over anyway, and if it’s not your logo, it’s sort of pointless to try to fix it. Besides, a huge vector file with that many, likely sloppy, anchor points could easily fail to RIP on output.

^This.
You can’t save them all.

You could render it into Photoshop and save it as a high res TIFF.

Quite a few years ago something similar happened to one of my projects. I sent it back with an explanation, and it took them a full week to replace with a reasonable version.

It was at that point that I realized my words were starting to carry weight, and I was into the next phase of my career.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve never tried that.

Export from Illustrator as a high res raster file and use that. If it passes the proof stage you are safe.

I agree with Just-B! I would be cautious about their work ethic as well!

lol
idk but this is a good investment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5OErcNU57k
a 40$ investment for a simple plugin that will handle the all the redundant points, it’s more precise than the illustrator simplify tool
not only that, there’s a handy tool inside the pathscribe section, called smart remove point for more detailed edits
anyone using it? truly amazing plugins, recommended

1 Like