Looking for a Mockup

Where do I find any of these mockups? Check attachments.

Search mockupworld on google. Check the first link.

Did you see the mockup. I check as you suggested and I didn’t see it in mockupworld website.

The base art for something like this would be easy to create from scratch. It would also be faster than searching for something someone else has built.

2 Likes

I’m not very skillful creating photo realistic mockups. Can you help?

Then perhaps you shouldn’t be using them. Contrary to what has apparently become widespread belief, mockups are not integral to the practice of graphic design. If you wouldn’t use clipart in the design of your client’s logo, why would you use it to present the design to your client? Copious and habitual use of canned mockups mangles, cheapens, and misrepresents your product. I might even say it insults your client’s intelligence. “And here’s your new brand, bent, skewed, and pinched, then stuffed into a magic trick I got for free because it isn’t worth anything.”

1 Like

^ This. Squared.

Two thoughts on this.

The first is that the super slick mockups you see today – the kind that typically come as PSDs where you drop your design in and out pops a photo-realistic mockup – can be very deceiving. They are so slick, it can make a mediocre idea look great to a client.

My second thought – and this will seem somewhat contradictory to my first thought – is that showing a client mockups can be very helpful. I am currently wrapping up a branding project. In my initial presentation to the client, I presented 4 options for the logo. As part of the presentation, I designed a business card and trade show banner for each of the four logo options. That way, the client could see the logo and how it would be applied in real world uses. I did not use PSD mockups to present the card or banner, however, so that the client would look at the design not the mockup. From the point of view of the designer, this is a tremendously helpful exercise when designing the logo since it forces you to think through how the logo will be used.

I’d say your position is valid Steve, and what you did there was consistent with prudent and tasteful application of available tools. I appreciate that you took the time to explain how you differentiated the design from the mockups.

What I would rail against, as I began to do in my previous post, is the mentality that a design isn’t complete until it’s been shoe-horned into every possible canned mockup, and then the client is shown a dozen or more mockups that are presented as the design. In certain aspects of my client work, I encounter young, college-fresh designers who are under the impression that cramming their design into a batch of tricked out insta-mockups is an integral and mandatory aspect of the job. The time and energy they spend on it would be so much better spent crafting one original and truly applicable mockup that showcases the design in relevant context — IF doing so actually accomplishes something and serves a purpose. Last year, there was a case in which it actually got back to me that (a portion of) a technical illustration of mine was “re-purposed” and submitted to one of the client’s Art Directors in a mockup that simulated it burned into a wood plaque. Wut?

1 Like

I think it’s useful to see a design in the surroundings in which it will normally be seen. Not only does this help clients better understand the designs, it allows us, the designers, to see whether or not the design complements and works within that environment.

Too often, though, I see designers — especially beginning designers — use these mockups as ways to enhance a mediocre design.

Sometimes, efficiency, budgets and time constraints are good reasons for good designers to download and use prebuilt blanks. Even so, a designer who’s incapable of building a mockup when needed is likely not skillful enough to design whatever is meant to be placed on the mockup.

1 Like

A mediocre design placed into a slick Photoshop mockup is like a middle-aged balding guy that buys a sports car so he’ll look more attractive to the ladies. And this is coming from a middle-aged balding guy. But I don’t have a sports car.

2 Likes

My take on canned mockups is influenced by the fact I’m a sign guy. That’s an area where you can’t just take any online mockup and show it to your client. You have to be able to create a reasonably quick facsimile of the logo in situ. That means taking actual photographs and measurements to get everything to scale. It also means actually looking at the walls/environment to see if the idea is even feasible. For example, wiring electrical signs on a brick wall…

Most of the stuff we work with is just Illustrator flat drawings on photos of the venue. Nothing fancy. Nothing photorealistic. It just has to convey the idea of placement and scale. Construction details help too, but part of my job is to help you realize that.

2 Likes

You are all making great and valid points but I just want to find where I can get any of the mockups. :grinning:

If I or someone else knew, we’d tell you. The point is, we don’t often use pre-made mockups; we generally make our own when needed. Sorry.

1 Like

I don’t use the things. Most of my clients are savvy enough to look at a PDF showing the design and the cut path and approve it from that. Anything beyond that wastes my billable time.

Did you try this:
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+graphic+design+mockup+templates

search took me less then a minute

https://mockups-design.com/free-lanyard-id-badge-mockup/

https://mrmockup.com/psd-mockups/hanging-id-card-mockup/