Mac or PCs for Creative dept

Thank you all for your input, to clarify I never said one was better than the other and I know the software works the same, I was asking about preference and known issues when switching

These conversations naturally dip into which is better etc.

Work issues - just need to work with it and get on with it.

There really shouldn’t be any major issues. Just have the IT guy on standby to troubleshoot for a few weeks until all the kinks are ironed out.

If anyone is complaining about not working on Macs - then they should really be just asked to get on board with it.

As I said - I work a dual workflow system using both daily, and I’ve used both daily for over 25 years.

There is literally nothing wrong with the Windows workflow or any major issues I can think of.

Usually when told to do something, like “Get on Board with it” when not consulted in the first place, where it pertains to work tools, and especially if sign-on expectations were otherwise, I could easily see that becoming a reason for someone to leave. Be sure you aren’t going to lose any critical personnel.

2 Likes

No, you didn’t … which we appreciate :slight_smile: … but others did. They just can’t help themselves :wink:

Meh it’s like taking a driving job and saying you prefer Mercedes when they have BMWs.

At the end of the day it’s about the destination not the journey

Wait till they find out how cheap affinity is.

I like tea, my wife likes coffee, neither one is better, they are just different.

If these are any kind of production workers, not just dezinas, I’d be happy to put an experienced person on a Mac if that’s what they wanted. Don’t count on people not jumping ship cuz you took away their screwdriver and gave em a hammer. It sucks hating to go in to work every day. Don’t give em a reason to hate it more. I can’t find production people right now and seriously, someone with identifiable skills and a willingness to show up for work? Very much in demand.

As for Affinity, we’re slowly ramping it up. Verrry slowly. But the perceived value is there. I draw the line at Canva though. You want that crap, you can order it directly from them.

1 Like

It won’t make your job an easier or harder using a pc or a Mac. It’s the exact same. If people are throwing their toys out of the pram because of this I would just them to try it for a month and if there’s production issues we will discuss it.

But it shouldn’t add our take away from any experience.

It’s just a computer.

We can argue all day.
But I have to work now.

Shouldn’t be any argument.

This whole thing about having to work on a Mac needs to stop.
20 years ago - maybe.
Now - it shouldn’t matter.

Nope. Didn’t matter then either.

Thanks all, I was really interested to see what types of problems I might expect when switching platforms. I know the work can be done on either platform, we do prefer our macs, and are much more proficient in them. If the issue is forced I’m afraid we will loose 1/2 of our team

Like I said. I’m old enough, I just don’t care anymore. Whatever floats your boat. However there are people out there for whom it does matter, who would move on if presented with a distasteful choice (and that goes for anything from the computer on their desk to new management or whatever) and man, if you got production skills and want to give up the design rat race, I and several of my cohorts in crime could use the talent.

1 Like

There will likely be lots of complaints, bad feelings, and threats about quitting. In the end, though, few will follow through on those threats, people will get used to it, and things will get back to normal.

Even so, a platform change from Macs to Windows will be a huge short-term disruption. If a compelling reason exists to make the switch, fine. Maybe that short-term problem is worth it. If the change is driven by the IT department’s desire to get the entire company onto the same platform or a desire to save a few dollars on computer purchases, it’s likely ill-conceived.

In addition to the possibility of losing a person or two who won’t put up with the change, recruiting new employees could also be an issue. At previous jobs where I managed creative teams, one of the most common inquires we would get from potential applicants was whether it was a Mac or PC environment.

This seemed to be an important issue for some, so we eventually started including the information in the job announcements. Interestingly, Windows users were usually fine with switching to Macs, but for many Macintosh users, getting the right answer on the platform question seemed to be a critical factor they considered when deciding to apply for the job.

I just removed a comment from a brand new member who must have felt the need to join just to tell us which one they thought was better when that is NOT what the OP asked!

Have we reached the end of this yet? Because it’s about to get closed if any more people feel compelled to beat that old and VERY dead horse!

deadhorse

I really do hate to say this. But please… just close this topic already… just please…

1 Like

I was hoping for advice from people that switched, and and issues they ran into, so I could be prepared. I never meant to start the old argument of which is better, in my mind it’s really a matter of preference. Unless anyone has any valid tips or help to offer, we can close this up

2 Likes
2 Likes

@MicheleH just so you know you did NOTHING wrong. You asked a perfectly valid question. However when it involves this particular subject, some can not contain themselves and stay on topic.

I think there have been very valid and on topic points brought up here. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear any one has gone through this exact set of circumstances.

Please do let us know how things turn out. Maybe, don’t put MAC or PC in the title though lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Closin’er up folks :slight_smile: