Mac or PCs for Creative dept

Hi all, this is my first post. I’m looking for some input. The company I work for is considering changing over the creative dept from macs to PCs. We see essentially an internal creative agency, all on Macs, using Adobe creative suite, plus lots of different video programs, web programs fetch. I’d love to hear if anyone has gone thru this and what types of problems you encountered.

Exactly what hardware do you have currently (the computers and displays)?

From the standpoint of an employee affected by the change, it’s mostly a matter of getting used to a new operating system and, possibly, needing to develop a few workarounds for previous ways of doing things. Most of the software apps are the same, so unless you’ve been relying on Mac-only software, you’ll get used to it and be just fine.

From the standpoint of the employer, however, it would be important to anticipate problems and to have solutions for those problems and initial frustrations. One goal being to minimize the inevitable decrease in productivity for the first few days as people get used to the new system and develop new habits.

2 Likes

^Right, up-front preparation for the inevitable hiccups will be very important in a change-over like that. If it was my department, I’d run an impact-measured pilot before pulling a mass cut-over.

As much as I favor Windows over Mac, I’m inclined to say this could get dodgy and you’ll surely face resistance from users, so proceed with caution, including strongly considering the possibility that changing could easily become a costly mistake.

iMacs, and MacBook pros, Epson large format printer. Our primary task is package design and production

Also LGG 4K monitors for the laptops

I’ve worked in a mixed environment (Mac and PC) for 10 years. The main problems we have are with fonts. The same font files work on both Mac and PC, but InDesign needs to remap some fonts when files are opened on the other OS. It’s not a big problem, just annoying.

Oh, and the PCs regularly get attacked by viruses so they need software for that. Again, no biggie.

2 Likes

I’d expect a certain amount of pushback from any long term employees, or even short term ones that expected to be working in a mac environment. I know I’d have issues with this. I work on both platforms in this shop but the main bulk of my work is done on a mac and after years of learning that set of workarounds, I’d be downright ornery about having to learn new ones.

Just be sure any software modules and web apps you use now swing both ways. It sucks even more to have to source new apps as yet another work around. As HotButton pointed out, you may want to run one station through the entire changeover and see how it goes for a month or three before changing over the whole department. If you think that could happen in an unbiased fashion… :grin: In a production environment like we have here, I don’t allow machines to auto update to the next Mac kittycat/mountain/island without doing one machine first and running it for a month to see what everyone broke. Between Apple and Adobe yeesh. I don’t blame either yet I blame both in the neverending game of catch up. Be sure whoever administrates your system is knowledgeable of your needs, not just the general PC upkeep.

From my personal experiences, I found out that I perform better on Windows OS workstation than Apple PC. Comparing both, for example: Apple PC, its clunky and the mouse that was provided (with the Apple PC), its heavy heavy. Also OS wise, organising folders to projects is very awkward… keyboard… its not comfortable at all and key input for Adobe is reverse. Yeah, it is… reverse…

I use Corsair K95 Keyboard (ergonomic is key) + Logitech G502 Hero (balanced - not too heavy, not too light) for Adobe and other creative software.

As a PC Windows OS user, I can organise my projects much faster and get to work faster. Hardware wise, you can go crazy if you have the budget! But getting work done is also a breeze! Installing fonts and plugins are also easier. Uninstalling is a lot easier…

This is BIG. But, I am going to stop there.

In an attempt to head off another Mac vs Windows debate, the original poster’s question had nothing to do with the merits of one platform over the other, so let’s leave it at that. Everyone has their personal preferences regarding operating systems, but in general, those preferences primarily boil down to what one is used to. Both Macs and Windows machines will get the job done.

3 Likes

I have to respectfully disagree. He is asking about switching from Mac to a PC not from 10.5 to 11.5. With designers, personal preference has everything to do with. If you force designers to use a different operating system than the one they feel is the best for the job it creates additional stress in the workplace. If you have a team it fosters community bitching about the changes and that in itself is counter productive. Macs have always been “thought of” as the “correct” computer to design with and even if one does not have a “personal preference” the concept is out there and cannot be ignored. That sets up a psychological situation in the designers mind, and every time the new system goes haywire it comes to the front of mind. On the font issue has it ever been solved that Mac fonts represent true printer fonts? Does anyone even care any more?I don’t know. I do agree about the PC mice and keyboards being easier to use. I feel the same issues would appear if you were switching from PC to Mac. But that is just my humble opinion.

1 Like

Truer words were never spoken. Sounds like someone who is neither a designer, or a creative, or has lost touch with being one, is forcing this change based purely on financial savings without thinking about the time spent and revenue lost by the change.

However, I’m the moderator, and have requested that we not get into another Mac vs Windows debate. Been there, done that. It’s old news, and it always devolves into arguments, no matter how objective the comments start.

Yes, people will complain about a platform change; I know I would. However, the question was about how to navigate the change, not about which OS is best.

As an avid user of both Mac and Windows for 25 years.

There is no such thing as one being better than the other.
they are different.

The software works the exact same way on both OS.

We really need to rid the paradigm that one OS is better than another.

As a designer - it doesn’t matter.

I actually operate dual OS at the moment - with an iMac with 3 screens - and also a Windows computer with 2 screens that I work between both simultaneously. I’ll also be getting a MacBook Pro shortly to take on the road with me.

One is not better than the other. There are differences.

Sure there are specific OS only apps - like Corel Draw for Windows, or certain Mac only software.

Put on your big boy pants and find a workaround.

There’s always a way.

3 Likes

I’m getting really tired of this. I drive a Chrysler and yours is a Honda, therefore you are a worthless scum?

Rather than scrap everything and start from scratch, could you introduce “a few” PCs into the mix so there would be less downtime and stress with the transition?

Seriously, I use Mac at home, PC at work. The software operates the same. I used a Mac for 25 years before I got my current job and there I need to use a PC. Took me about 20 minutes to figure it out.
My only problem is mixing up the Command key for the Control key when I get home because I’m a dumbass. :smiley:

1 Like

Ha ha yes.
I’m forever mixing up the screenshot commands.
Windows Shift S on PC
Cmd Shift 4 (or something) on Mac.

Yeh shortcuts can be confusing. But it’s not so bad :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like