Mac OS Catalina

It’s a lot faster, when it works. I get 1-2 freezes daily since updating.

1 Like

Those freezes are what I’m talking about. Waste of productive time.

I strongly suggest if anyone does this update they wipe and reload. All the broken crap from the 32 bit subroutines is bound to cause issues.

1 Like

I agree with Driver.

I always wait a few months but I was having issues with the latest Illustrator and hoped this would fix it. It did. But, yeah, very unstable at the moment.

1 Like

How do you do a complete reinstall? Do you need to do it from an external disk?

First, do a complete system backup.
Then make sure you have your serial numbers and passwords to all your software and your keychain backed up and handy.

Make a boot drive on a USB thumb drive. You’ll have to look up instructions for your OS.
With Mac, it is a Terminal-based operation. Once you make it, start up from that, zero your drive then reload.
Then spend a few hours reloading all your software.

If you haven’t done it before, it can be very tedious. I usually end up doing it every 3-5 years and it used to be for every OSX update in the early years of the changeover. I do one machine to make sure it’s all going to work, that takes about 4 hours if everything goes according to plan, test run everything, then do the other two simultaneously. It’s a weekend of work.

2 Likes

Thank you! I used to do this 10+ years ago. My issue is besides all the apps, I also have to build my development environment, which is an extra 2-3 hours or more if something doesn’t go smooth.

As you suggested I think I will start on my laptop and if it worked, I will do on my production machine.

Just make sure your instructions for the boot drive include the full OS.
I haven’t done it for about a year now, and the last time I did it I had to have the OS on the Boot drive because it was a legacy version of OSX (old machine.) I had the terminal write the load files while creating the boot disk. Just be sure you understand the interface of where the new install is coming from. You may have to download, but NOT install Catalina first.

It was so much easier, but even more tedious, when you had a bunch of DVDs to swap in. At least you knew the machine was actually going to take. With these new updates, there are long periods of inactivity that make you wonder WTF?

1 Like

Yet another Catalina thing.
If you have old data stored on CDs that are written in HFS format, Catalina no longer supports reading those disks. You haven’t been able to write in that format since about 2009, but on the off chance you still have some disks laying around, you will no longer be able to even read them.

When I spoke to them, Apple was noncomittal about even continuing to further support DVD/CD drives with the argument that anything you had on that kind of media is now available through the cloud (for additional cost) and…everything you could want stored for backup can readily be stored on the cloud (for additional cost.)

Cannot retire out of this industry fast enough.

Just my opinion, but every new release of the Mac OS seems to be a bit worse than the one preceding it — new stuff I don’t need, missing stuff I do need, being forced into workflow patterns I don’t like, incompatibility with older but perfectly good peripherals, and general, all-around bugginess. Now that I think about it, this applies to Adobe software too.

As for iCloud, I draw the line there. I won’t use it for anything but the most minimal of purposes. My home ISP is Google Fiber, and it comes with oodles of cloud storage space that I barely even begin to use beyond file sharing with clients. I’ve gotten to the point where longterm storage for me means a series of external hard drives and backups to other external hard drives. I keep an old Mac Mini running an old Mac OS version to do those things Apple no longer makes possible with their newer machines and software.

Up until Catalina, I could plug in an old zip drive and still read the disks. And actually had need to do that not too long ago under very bizarre and serendipitous circumstances. Usually it was about the old equipment dying off, not the OS reader software.

Highest Sierra-Mojave-Catalina
im typing this on a dell xps.

My 2010 macbook air finally accepted the fact that the ribbon connecting the keyboard to the logic board was never broken and just started to fully type last Friday after 17 months of re-installing the ribbon, I’m ecstatic that my MacBook finally works without the Bluetooth keyboard. So i installed a Canon scanner/printer just by plugging the usb into the MacBook air and the 2012 OSX accepted and installed the drivers. betcha you cannot do that now.

As far as Apple OSXs Snow Leopard was the best, Mountain Lion is great which i am using a lot now, but Mojave had the responsiveness of a good Windows 10 laptop.

as their company in 2019 is a horrible gouging enterprise, Apple wants $750 to repair a friends 2017 MacBook because the volume is erratic while typing. They trick students by giving them 10% off laptops but charge $99.00 to file transfers. That entire mac pro is a debacle and proves how “infidelic” and pompous the company operates. they want $499 for the tires for that $1000 stand and $149 for a cleaning cloth. I hope the solar flare just hits their company and spares anything they made from 2010.

I use VueScan as my scanner driver. Sadly 32-bit, but hopefully updating before Adobe pushes me to Catalina, which at this point is nothing but a big hairball on the one machine we updated.

I have absolutely no issues with Mojave, but I keep my machines pretty lean and do the maintenance as required.

They are still selling the “one size fits all” GUI. It drives me nuts just how much crap has to be removed from the factory install because it’s just garbage software and aps that slow the machine down. I feel like every six months or so I have to take apart and reassemble my workflow into a Franken-SOP.

Case in point, Neverman: Apple throws in dozens and dozens of fonts that are of absolutely no use to me. They just clutter up my font folder with endless junk making it difficult to find the fonts I do need. But Apple’s OS won’t let me throw them away, saying they’re important system fonts that can’t be deleted.

1 Like

Exactly!

AND then we have to upgrade Suitcase to the 64bit version. Oh wait, that delayed for 2 months, so you have to use Font Book, which just compounds the problem…

This.

This is the main reason I’ve always preferred Windows (and Android for that matter). I just don’t like the way Apple unilaterally makes and enforces (what should be) user-level decisions for everyone.

The oft-touted advantages “simple” and “clean” and “intuitive” to me, translate to toy-like, bland, and inflexible.

1 Like