Mac OS Catalina

Anyone update? Issues?

BIG issues.
None of your 32 bit software will run on it. NONE.
Before you do this update,

1. click on your Apple icon in the upper left menu bar.
  2. Click on “About this Mac”
  3. Click on System Report
  4. Click on Applications and wait for the screen to load.
  5. Click on the 64-bit header to sort by “No” and “Yes”
  6. Anything that says NO in the 64 bit column WILL NOT WORK on Catalina.
    Update any of that stuff first, before updating to Catlina - if you can. A lot of things I use as “utilities” are still only in Beta 64, like Fetch, and some of my “legacy” software like Microsoft Office has to be replaced.

I also wait until the first patch update to even consider changing my system software to the latest version. I have work to do, so I will let other suckers…er…bleeding-edgers find all the bugs first, rather than spend my billable time fixing broken crap.

2 Likes

That 32 bit thing is a pita - agree with the waiting on this. I have a laptop and second system I can experiment with, but right now I think I’d rather let the dust settle on this one. Looks like another Apple blindside to me. Any other issues out there?

Thanks for the heads up on this!

It isn’t really a blindside. You may have seen and ignored the popup boxes at startup that say this or that software isn’t optimized for your OS. That is the warning that it is 32-bit. They only pop up once in a while and only for one tiny bit of software or system sub-routine.

My major worry is, what happens to the Catalina OS with all that junk trying to run but can’t. Will those broken subroutines cause a freeze or worse?
This type of update usually requires a full system zero and reload. That takes a whole friggin weekend out of my life to do.

No blindside for me, but it is for third party software that isn’t on Apple’s page… and then ultimately those who have updated their OS that are using 32bit software and can’t anymore until it gets updated. In any case, I’m sure updates will happen quickly for the most part. (maybe except for MS, that could take a while - lol) Like I said, I’ll sit on the sidelines for now. I was curious if anyone has updated and experienced other issues - than their software being obsolete.

On a related, but separate note, I really dislike Apple’s naming convention for their OS. Granted, I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, but it’s a lot easier to remember that 10.15 comes after 10.14 rather than remembering that Catalina comes after High Sierra.

4 Likes

Years ago, a new system update from Apple was eagerly anticipated because of all the new features and improvements that came with it. Today, the opposite is mostly true. Few of the new features are really needed, I don’t notice any substantive improvements and the main concern is what the update will break.

5 Likes

Part of the old CS6 suite, and all earlier versions will not run on Catalina.
I believe Photoshop and Illy will, but not Indesign. Unless one of the about to be broken Adobe sub-routines like the Extension Manager is required.

but it’s a lot easier to remember that 10.15 comes after 10.14 rather than remembering that Catalina comes after High Sierra.

I’m pretty sure Catalina comes after Mojave.
:wink:

2 Likes

You’re proving my point! Or maybe I’m proving my point. Either way, first graders know that 15 comes after 14. I’m well on my way to becoming a curmudgeon.

1 Like

I first entered the digital age on System 7 back in the early 90s. Macs crashed a lot back then, and took about 10 minutes to reboot. We learned to hit the Save button periodically. UNIX changed all that.

It wasn’t so much that macs crashed. Didn’t have much issue with that. We kept our work machines lean and mean with plenty of scratch space. But the design software? Oh, boy. That darned extension loading order…And the single undo.

Mac OS8 was the most stable operating system I’d ever worked with. That and pre-transparency Adobe products. OSX wasn’t too bad in the early versions, as long as you did the maintenance scripts and the repair permissions dance, but now it’s so full of bloatware that it’s often unmanageable. I’ve thought about Unix a few times but just too old now to learn new things.

Not that I want to get any older than I am, but I have less than 9 years to retirement (if they don’t move the goalposts.) I have a bad feeling this industry is going to crash and burn in some fashion before then.

Anybody remember these gems?

SCSI cables. State-of-the-art in peripheral connectivity back in the late '80s. Plug one in and it typically required a computer reboot for the connection to kick in.

I think I probably have one or two of them still laying around at home. I don’t know why, though. It’s not like they’re ever going to be useful for anything.

SCSI cables, and a SCSI Terminator. The latter, sometimes you needed it, sometimes not (and sometimes there was an internal switch.) The only way to find out was when something didn’t work.

There are known, irritating issues with photoshop, which I am sure will get fixed soon. I upgraded a machine yesterday and it seems to be generally smoother – BUT – I had occasion to go back into a pdf and change some text in acrobat which was in helvetica light. Just a name and an email address on an invoice. Completely buggered the text up. Had to open it in illustrator and even then, although it got the characters and order correct (in acrobat, it was all over the shop), the tracking bore little relation to the number in the properties box. It was at 0, but looked like -20. I will do some more testing today. Hopefully it was just an issue with that version of that font. Not good though.

PS. I had a loft clear out at the weekend and came across all sorts of scsi cables, Zip drives and even an old syquest drive with 40mb and the massive 80mb removable drives. Who’d have thought you could get nostalgic over outmoded hardware!

1 Like

Solved. It just needed font explorer opening and closing again. For some reason Catalina didn’t recognise the fonts in acrobat. Not as I have opened FE once and shut it again, all seems to work as it should – Thankfully.

1 Like

I don’t so much get nostalgic over old hardware. One can wax nostalgic, until one remembers the “simpler times” were not all that much better and you’ve just traded new issues for the old.

In my work, the technology did not keep up with the demands of the wide format industry. In the early days, a single job would come in on literally a dozen 3.25 floppies. Then for a brief time, Syquest drives. Then for another brief time it became Jazz drives (which corrupted if you filled them more than 75% of capacity.) Then it became a dozen zip drives. Then multiple CDs. I just archived a completed project that filled 14 DVDs. I also saved it to a 100gig thumb drive.We’ll see which lasts longer. LOL!

Now everything comes in via FTP. We have a dedicated incoming T1 download connection. I’ve had outside designers on networks where their upload speed is still logged in hours. Always factor that into your due date.
:+1:

The thing that was better, in my opinion, was that things were changing rapidly for the better, which made things exciting. Today, not so much. It’s mostly more of the same dressed up in different packaging.