Mailer crit

and I also think one image cut horribly, but I just didnt know what to do with that…

You still haven’t seen it.
I just realized there is more image there too.

this forum would fail a user experience test :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

yes, I am not exactly sure about which spot he is talking about… :see_no_evil: my English is not that great sometimes

you mean the continuation of the blue under black block with word “MEN” on top of it?

It sounds like your education let you down in a lot of ways. And that is not a knock on you. Especially if they didn’t teach much in the way of typography, layout, logo design, etc. There is certainly much more to design, but some of what you listed are extremely fundamental.

With that being said, I have a few comments. I checked your Behance site. You have a very nice illustrative style. Design in most cases can benefit from the same sensibilities as illustration. Composition, hierarchy, etc. You may not always have the time to do so, but even doing simple sketches of your layouts can help you make a better sense of how to make the elements work together.

I also should say that starting out can be tough. I remember the harsh reality of the “real world” when I entered nearly 20 years ago. IMO, you have a benefit I didn’t have, such as the internet, forums, pinterest, behance, etc. Continue to use those to your advantage. In school we kept a physical file of interesting things we’d run across. fabrics, textures, brochures, photos, ads, whatever. I think that helped us to be aware of our environment. Nowadays with smartphones, computers, etc. you could easily begin doing that. It may help, it may not.

This may also help you but it was hammered into my head by my professors to not try to “solve the problem” on the computer. Software, surprisingly, “limits you” into “playing with tools”. Research the brand, research the style, do mood boards, sketches, word association, whatever it takes and think of what solves the problem. What will make the targeted demographic see this and react in the way you want them to.

Don’t get discouraged, take all of the comments as an opportunity on how to improve.

2 Likes

Let’e try a role playing exercise. Let’s say PrintDriver is your art director, and you need to justify your work and explain your design rationale to him.

In my younger days I was fortunate to have a very kind AD who preferred not to chew my head off, and I’m pretty certain PrintDriver belongs to this category. Take heed of all the advice, good or bad. It can only be beneficial.

OK, here’s a more comprehensive critique.

Clicking on the photo reveals the entire promotional piece (which I missed at first). It looks nice. It’s simple, to the point and has a nice feeling to it. (I’m a New Balance fan, by the way.)

What I don’t understand, however, is what this is for. Is it a flyer? A handout? An advertisement? It has small buttons that say, “shop men” and “shop women,” so are these buttons clickable. Is it a website? An app? If so, what is it laid out like a promotional flyer? It’s difficult to critique something, when I don’t understand what’s going on.

Did you write the copy? Did you art direct the photos? Or are you just assembling pieces from what you were given. How much latitude did you have to change things to create a compelling message that would resonate with New Balance customers? Was that even part of the assignment? Graphic design, as already pointed out, is about much more than making things look nice. It’s about, in this case, boosting sales. So how does your design help do that? Have you asked yourself that question or are you just focusing on making things look nice?

The typography is a little awkward. It’s not terrible — just not perfect. For example, the red 860 on the cover is letterspaced way too much.

You’ve used the same photo twice, which isn’t a good idea.

The company name only appears once in the entire piece — and only in tiny type. This might be OK if it’s a company decision to only use the NB logo, but most companies really like their names to be prominent in their advertising.

It seems you haven’t noticed the glaring mistake you’ve made and haven’t asked us to explain. The top, left photo on the cover is flopped. This flops both the New Balance logo and the 860, which is a major mistake that could cost many thousands of dollars to fix while undermining the trust and confidence between you and your employer or client. Paying attention to these kinds of details is absolutely critical.

Yes, but no one here has given you anything but constructive criticism. We could hold back and tell you only those things you specifically asked about, but I think you deserved better than shallow responses that failed to mention those things you didn’t realize were problems.

2 Likes

Thank you a lot for your advices! I will definitely take them:) I really appreciate your effort to visit my Behance and checking my work and suggesting me to look at design from illustration perspective in terms of sketching ideas up and use the same principles of compositions and hierarchy that I use in illustration. I tend to start to design quickly on a computer too often, but I should slow down and rather do more research on the brand what visual language their got, and think more on the purpose of the design and what their want me to communicate to their audience.

And it is quit rough, I have a lot of classmates who struggle to find a job in Graphic Design, so they are just self employed, doing work for their friends. But I agree it is much easier. I am happy that I can find cool people on the internet and ask for a feedback. Thank you all a lot!

my bad… I thought that people would click it:see_no_evil: I just posted it and then it cut the whole thing… I am not sure if everybody thought that cut version is the whole design, then probably I would get a different respond… but yeah thank you for giving me the hope for this particular design :sweat_smile:

So they said it means to be a mailer, and they just gave me the images, typefaces, copy and the structure of the mailer. I have not art directed it. So they would specify what I should have on each section like footer. (They literally structured it in the word document and pointed out which images and what text they want to have in each section). I believe “Shop men” and “shop women” are buttons. This mailer is probably should be an ad in the email. So then they click on the button it leads them to their online shop. By latitude you mean the width of the mailer? it is 800 px.

They did not have any request in terms of what this mailer should communicate, they were just checking if I can do the basic brief like that. But I understood it that it should be an ad that would boost sales on their online shop.

And their asked to put the same photo twice :sweat_smile: So I would say I was pretty limited in my choices as they decided where the logo will be and where photographs will be as well.

I shit, I got it now, with photo. Yes it flopped :see_no_evil: I will be careful next time, Thanks A lot!!!

1 Like

I’m just a design student (so no need to take my feedback too seriously), but I did want to point out a few things that I noticed you did well! I do like the layout of the three images at the top. The diagonal lines make it feel more dynamic, which I think helps to communicate the message about the product (faster, further, etc.). I also think the color scheme you chose is really fitting. It helps to accentuate some of the details in the product photos. I do agree with what others have mentioned, however, that there could be more distinct hierarchy, and somehow have it be more apparent what the “860” is (maybe a more closeup photo of the 860 on the shoe).

This whole thread has given me a headache. Not sure why no one has told you yet … but your image is backwards, top left. With that said, no other critique is needed … you failed. I’m not saying that to be mean, harsh or to ‘‘just criticize’’ you. You show this to a customer and their logo and/or merchandise is backwards or there are spelling errors and they will quickly show you the door. That’s the harsh part of the industry. There are basic things you just can’t get wrong or you will be out.

Thanks, I will be more precise in grammar, I know that argument English is not my first language is bad. But I can check spelling in the word document, so I will get this as my habit. And yes, after three trials of peoples telling me about flopping picture, I finally could see it :sweat_smile: I know for you it is a second nature, but I have not developed this kind of sensitivity yet, but I am on my way, thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Thank you for your feedback. It really have made me feel a little bit better about myself :joy: And thank you for advice on “860” - I think close-up is a really cool idea :fox_face: