Making cut lines on design for stickers?

Agreed.

Anyone unable draw a simple line around something and connect the ends has no business working in this field. For that matter, I say much the same about anyone not knowing how to create a separate non-printing layer for that single-color line to be on.

How die lines work and how to create them is a legitimate question for a student or a beginner, but it’s one of the most basic questions imaginable with an equally easy-to-understand answer. Anyone needing a tutorial on something this simple might want to reconsider their career choice.

The separate non-printing layer thing is made slightly (ever so slightly) more difficult because of program default to top layers. I always check a top-placed die-line layer for unexpected items simply because it is so easy to click and put stuff there in error. It shouldn’t happen, and should also be checked for by the designer before hand off (turn off the visibility on the die-line and see if any of your design vanishes with it. Or check overprint preview.) But it is so common, it’s one of the automatic checks. It’s weird too, cuz sometimes I’ll get go-by PDFs with the die-line and other stuff missing, meaning no one checked the PDF before sending either. I’ll match it, if you want me too… but usually I call/text/email on something like that. :slight_smile:

Well,i finally managed to make it following steps from some video that’s like 5 min long.
But what’s the box around the image when i go preview mode that i pointed out with the arrow key?
It’s supposed and has to be there??

That’s just the bounding box outline that you can use to scale or rotate whatever artwork is selected by grabbing the little boxes you see on the outline. It doesn’t print.

Given your inexperience with the software, the illustrations you’re working with were obviously not created by you. I don’t know what your plans are, but I hope you realize there are copyright and licensing issues to consider when using other people’s artwork.

1 Like

Now that you mention it it looks like part of this CapSwag logo as you can see on this hat

1 Like

Or this company already selling it as a sticker.

1 Like

Thanks.
Well what my plan actually was i wanted to print stickers for myself from other people’s work.It wouldn’t be a copyright if i actually buy the design?
From shutterstock for an example.
And yes,neither one of the two designs in images i posted are not made by me.

I agree. But we all start somewhere.

I didn’t get the impression it was for a paying client. But I’m always happy enough to share my method with someone.

And the threads can be found again, so maybe someone else learning in the future will come across the post and it might help them too.

I refuse to be drawn into an argument that I shouldn’t show how it’s done, inexperienced, paying clients, or what not.

I was just trying to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

As long as they’re for yourself.
Check out the license on the image in shutterstock or whatever stocksite you’re using.

If you’re not sure just get in touch with them.

I was doing some livery (vehicle wraps) a while ago and I had to buy an extended license, it went from £20 to £140 per image. Not a big deal. But there were 100 images to buy (different images) and that all adds up for the client.

In the end they paid without even a whimper. Which was nice.

I’ll check it.
And just to ask,i don’t need a bleed right?i wanna do kiss cut stickers (3-4-5 stickers on one sheet) and i just want that white border around the image when i peel it off,like on the first image below,
kisscut

Do i need bleed just when i want something like on these two below?to be cut to the actual color of the design (if i said it correctly)

kisscut3

Yes, see the color that crossed the cut line and is left on the waste there in that last image? That’s bleed.

1 Like

If you want a white border have no colour coming into the keyline/kisscut area.

If you want colour to go right to the edge, you need to extend colour past the keyline/kiss cut line area.

If they are for yourself and you have a license for the image, a printer will print them for you.
If you show up with artwork that is suspect a printer may either ask to see the license or have you sign a waiver indemnifying them of any legal responsibility regarding your artwork source. Up to and maybe including paying their legal fees if it escalates.

When I was in college, I had a printer absolutely refuse to scan and print 3 copies of some student work because the art contained Marvel cartoon characters. That was…annoying, but well within their rights. The printer who prints it is just as culpable as you are when it comes to C&Ds and fines.

Thank you a lot guys.
Wow,i had no clue a printer could do that.
Would’ve never thought it can ask you for the license.

It’s in our contracts that all supplied images are to have all appropriate licenses associated etc. Same with fonts etc. Same with lots of things.

Once they sign the contract we don’t ask anymore. They signed, the onus is on them to supply properly sourced and licensed items.

Standard contract.

Yup that’s in ours too for projects where we don’t source the imagery. If you sign it, we don’t ask to see em. But…if there is an issue, we will tell them where to find you. :wink:

Chances are they will go after the people who produced the piece. If they come to me, I have everything, email, conversations, contracts etc…

That’s why I keep every email, every contract, every conversation, and why I transcribe phonecall instructions into an email and get verification from clients on everything in writing.

A verbal contract is as good as the paper it’s written on.

I said it before about this industry - you have to always cover your ass!

4 Likes

A person after my own heart!
Always CYA!

1 Like

You have no idea how it’s saved me over the years. I had a law suit a few years ago over an amendment made to a piece, the person was suing me for making a change he didn’t ask for, and he was asking for a lot of money, it would have cleaned me out.

I found the email with the change he requested and signed off on. The judge threw it out of court.