Mentorship and Coaching

Hello team,

I hope everyone is doing well and are safe. I am a new bee in this forum, i am passionate about designing graphics. I would love to be mentored by someone who is willing and ready to walk m through the basic way up.
Thanks
Mibbs :grinning:

What’s your experience level?
Mentorship usual happens as a student internship while working at a place of employment, with an existing, build-on-able skillset. It isn’t something that will happen online. And not for free. The return we get on an intern’s work, is
well
work.

Thanks, i am soliciting for free mentoring opportunity.

I am defining my path in graphic designing.

I am looking for those willing to walk with me online

Thanks

IOW, no experience?

What you are asking is for someone to do a LOT of work for you for free.
The answer to that is going to be “No.”
If you have no experience and are looking for someone to teach you the basics for free, the answer is a more emphatic “NO.” You can learn that stuff thru online course yourself with some effort and a modest cost.

But if you want to be a pro, at least in the US, consider schooling. Entry level design positions start with a 4 year degree and 2 years of experience. Real world experience.

Welcome to the forum Mibbs. We’re glad you found us.

It might be helpful if you mentioned where you’re from? Sometimes that information provides a little bit of context to help others respond to questions.

In Europe, the United States and many other parts of the world, a college/university program combined with internships is typically the starting point needed to make a career out of graphic design. Your part of the world might have alternate paths into this field, which would be interesting to hear about.

Feel free to ask questions about graphic design on the forum. That’s not really a mentorship, but you’ll still get lots of answers and opinions from working professionals and students.

As a senior in college studying graphic design, what is the best way to get those 2 years of experience?

Don’t wait until your senior year to do the obligatory internship, assuming your school has one. If it doesn’t, be proactive and seek one.

Get a part time job (doing anything from print shop, sign shop, agency, in-house, whatever) and do as many internships as you can glom onto. Some places will take on just-out-of-school interns. The pay sucks (they should be paying you) and they are few and far between.

I have really benefited from mentors.

Early on in my design career, I was introduced to a designer who was probably 25 to 30 years older than me. He was someone I could talk to about the business, bounce designs off of, and generally benefit from his creative experience and wisdom. Hanging out in his studio and listening to his stories about the “old days” really fueled my creative batteries. I never asked him to be my mentor, that’s just the way the relationship developed. To put this in context, this was before the internet, social media, forums, etc.

We still see each other and grab a coffee from time to time, but it’s more as friends than it is as mentor / mentee.

But I do have someone that I would consider a mentor, now, even though I am well into middle age. He is maybe 10 years older than I am. I was referred to him by a mutual acquaintance, and I did several design projects for him. He’s an incredibly nice guy who loves to help people. As with my earlier mentor, I never asked him to be a mentor, that’s just sort of the way the relationship developed. I suppose it’s fair to say that he’s more of a coach than a mentor – someone to listen, offer insight, and someone to see things from an outside perspective.

So, based on my experience, I would definitely recommend that you pursue someone who can act like a mentor. But I’d suggest you try to develop the relationship in a more organic way. Seek out people in your neighborhood or area. The internet is great, but it’s not as great as being able to call someone and say, “Hey, are you available to chat over coffee in the morning?”

All of that said, consider what you want to get out of the relationship. Are you looking for a mentor or a teacher? Someone to help you along the way or to teach you how to design? They are two different things.

Good luck.