Mid Week 5 Questions -- School Dayz Edition

Crisp pencils, a new box of crayons, kids waiting for the bus . . . it’s back to school time.

1. When you were a kid, did you enjoy going back to school or was it a dreaded date on the calendar?

2. What were your favorite subjects in school (years K-12)?

3. What were your favorite or most dreaded meals from the school cafeteria?

4. If you’re a parent, do you (or did you) look forward to the kids going back to school?

5. Do you keep up with any friends from grade school? How about high school?

2 Likes

1. When you were a kid, did you enjoy going back to school or was it a dreaded date on the calendar?
I did not look forward to going back to school. It was all about summer and freedom for me when I was a kid.

Art, geography, science.

Favorite: pizza. Dreaded: meatloaf.

4. If you’re a parent, do you (or did you) look forward to the kids going back to school?
Back to school time always made me a little blue. Probably because I didn’t like it as a kid.

I don’t keep up with anyone from grade school. My wife and I went to high school together. The girls are pretty good about getting people together around Thanksgiving, so I’ll see people then. While we are friends in a generic sense, I wouldn’t really count any of them as real, adult friends.

1 Like

I loved it. I had a horrible home life and school was like a nice get-away for me where praise was handed out and hard-work was appreciated.

History. I loved history, but I was good at math.

I honestly can’t remember. My school had so many options like Chick-Fil-A and Pizza.

N.A. - But as an adult, I dread it because of traffic and the surge of work orders at work.

Very few. 3 from high school, but they all have kids and stuff now.

2 Likes

I loved going back to school. Less so in jr. and high school, but always liked school.

Art, science

I always brought my lunch. A million PB&Js and I still like them.

I am not a parent, but I do not look forward to the kids going back to school because the jackasses in my neighborhood like to stand in the middle of the street when waiting for the bus. And plowing through them is frowned upon.

I have a couple of high school friends on Facebook, but that’s the extent of our contact.

2 Likes

I don’t remember ever “enjoying” back-to-school time, but in my high school years, I didn’t mind it much.

Music/Band, Science, World History (American History seems so much more interesting now for some reason, but back then I loved learning about ancient civilizations)

The Catholic grade school I attended served delicious food. The school’s church was of an Eastern European bent, so the ethnic influence was “Slovak,” and the menu was full-on comfort food; rich, flavorful, and perhaps a factor in the myocardial infarction I suffered at age 32. I only remember avoiding the stuff made with cabbage, which everyone knew was coming the moment we arrived in the morning. Fortunately, they thoughtfully served porcupine balls alongside the halupki.*

I am a parent of 4, one of which is an elementary school teacher now, while the youngest starts middle school this year, and I’ve always hated when it’s back-to-school time for them. Our summers are spent bonding during travel, recreation, etc., mostly on our own terms, whereas school time brings rigid schedules, logistical constraints, performance expectations/anxiety, and a list of other interactions we could all do without.

Grade school, no. In high school many relationships were forged on a foundation of music-making, and lasted longer, but there is really only one that endures with meaning. Unfortunately for him, I’m much busier than he is, and my obsession with my household means I generally suck at being an adult friend.

*14.228 worthless bonus points for anyone who can explain the meaning of this sentence.

1 Like

Dreaded it. We had a group of kids/friends in the neighborhood and had awesome fun in the summer just roaming around, playing in the woods/creek area nearby, etc. Back to school meant waking up early and back to doing homework. Ugh.

Art and Math. Yup, both sides of the spectrum. Ha. I hated science, all science History was ok, English/Writing were also on the “suck” side.

Most of it sucked. But the greasy pizza was okay. I honestly remember very little about school food thankfully.

I’m mixed. My wife teaches elementary school. And she gets stressed and overworked once school starts, which makes me have to work more around the house with my 3 kids. That and I’m back to waking up at 6:15 every morning now, versus, 7:30 in the summer. However, the kids seem to be happy to be back in school, so that’s good.

Grade school?! Hmmm, technically two. One I see every now and then at reunions and on Facebook. Another I see once a year or two when he comes back in town to see family. I’ve known him since 4th grade. High school, quite a bit. I have 4 or 5 “lifelong” friends form high school, despite it being 25+ years since graduating.

2 Likes

Totally and absolutely dreaded it. I hated school until I got into college.

Geography and most anything to do with science. I disliked shop classes and sports the most. Never took an art class until I got into college.

We had a cafeteria, but I never ate there — never.

I’m not a parent.

I have one friend that I’ve had since first grade that I still get together with every now and again. I keep up with others via Facebook and class reunions, but that’s about it.

1 Like

Uh oh … Old wounds about to be opened … fair warning… :smiley:

I never looked forward to it. I didn’t have many friends, so no one that I missed all summer. I was 5’ 10’’ by the the time was 12. I was twice the size of the girls and taller than most of the boys. I was painfully shy as well. That was not a great combination. The only thing that kept me from being bullied was my size. However I had no problem defending myself. A few tried, but a couple of belts and I was left alone. I still remember knocking a “jock” out of his chair in English class because he thought jabbing his pencil into my back for funzies was cool. Years later, I was working in a store and he came in for a pack of smokes. When he realized who I was he nearly wet himself and turned a bit pale LOL … of course I had also grown into a smart ass … I handed him his smokes and said… Relax I won’t hit ya. :smiley: After a nervous laugh he was out the door and he never came back while I was working there. Otherwise, I was someone who really wanted to do my own thing. Never been a fan of structure. I was that one who always had “if only she would apply herself” on their report cards :wink: The ONLY thing I looked forward to was new school clothes and shoes.

None. I did really like my Science teacher in 8th grade and my English Teacher in 11th and 12th grade. That’s about it. I wasn’t allowed to take Art classes in high school. By the time they got to my name (started with a V) I was always told they were full.

Fav: Pizza. They had two kinds. Thick rectangles that were dry and thin rectangles that had a lot more cheese and also had sausage on them. They were the best :slight_smile: Worst: lime friggin’ jello stuffed with cottage cheese. I could still gag thinking about it. My third grade teacher forced me to eat it. If I didn’t eat it, no recess and I could sit there until I did eat it. So I ate it and I promptly threw it back up causing other children to follow suit LOL :smiley: … yep … was another trip to the school for my Mom and Dad. Needless to say she never forced me to eat anything again.

Not a parent. But, also a fan of school restarting. Less rug rats in stores during the day. I love kids … my kids … well my siblings kids. I’m not so good with other folks kids :wink: When I lived with my sister we both looked forward to school restarting. We looked forward to those few precious hours of silence in the house.

No … see question one :wink: I have had a few folks add me on Facebook the past few years and always message me with crap like … “how come we never hung out more in school … you are so funny!!!” I’ve nearly bitten my tongue off not responding with “Cause’ you treated me like crap” :smiley:

Needless to say I’ve never wanted to go back in time. There were a few fun memories over the years … but not enough that would ever make me want to repeat it :wink:

4 Likes

Grades 1-8 loved it. Grades 9-12 hated it.

Sciences and Art (pottery mostly)

Weird kid, I loved all the school lunches (this was during the time they actually had cooks and bakers in the schools making lunches, not brought in from elsewhere. The ladies at the lunch counter must have thought I was starving at home, asking for extra veg or an extra chunk of the most DEElicious pan bread.

Not a parent. But I hate the huge traffic influx when all the Boston area colleges open. All those first-timer commuters really suck.

Nope. Not a one.

1 Like

Just wanted to thank you driving the bus on this weekly trip to and/or from the loony bin. Writing and reading the little storied memories spurred is oddly therapeutic, and a welcome departure from tales of dull colors, pixelization, and the pitfalls of amateur freelance.

Hahahah! Just do it really slowly.

Thank you for not being someone who complains about greasy pizza. I’ll never understand those people.

!!! I know, right?
I remember thinking: “Now Sister Rosalie, if only you would apply your self long enough to tell me exactly what the **** that means.”

2 Likes

lmao HB :smiley:

You are most welcome. Seems like we could all use a little diversion.

1 Like

I don’t recall liking or dreading it. I suppose I enjoyed seeing friends outside of my normal hood.

Phys Ed and Industrial art classes.

Pizza day yippee…The choices were bountiful and there was always PB sandwiches. There is just
something about lunchroom peanut butter.

I have always worked 40++ hours a week so I wasn’t seeing him until 17:00 anyway.

Not really school buddies that where not in my neighborhood. Ironically it is mostly the girls that wanted
nothing to do with me in high school that have kept in touch.
[/quote]

1 Like

School was a living nightmare. Home life was no better, by age age 7 I had already lost both my parents, School was a breading ground for bullies, and I was a rather scrawny, dorky boy. After enough abuse, in my teens I turned to being a rebellious, lawless, dropout who was in and out of police cars until i was old enough to finally be arrested. In my early 20’s I pulled my life together, got a college degree and a job.

Oh, the point, right - College was an enjoyable experience.

Art, Science, History

Hated the Meatloaf. or was that a Salisbury steak? It was a meat product. I’m pretty sure of that.

I’m a father of 2. A 1 year old boy and 7 year old girl. Unfortunately, my work schedule doesn’t change, so I see the kids about the same. I could use a few more hours in the day, or some solid vacation time.

No.

1 Like

Loved being back at school, great catching up with friends, looked forward to most of my new course load.

Anything to do with anything that builds anything. So like Math, Physics, Chemistry, Art, Drafting, and Gym etc… English was a complete waste of time …History was a joke.

Always brought my own. My Batman lunchbox is around here somewhere …as is my Batman backpack.

Don’t do the parent thing. But the kids and their parent’s walk down the street … the kids bounce and their parent’s shuffle along as best they can …love seeing the kids energy

Yup! Some of my friends from public school and I get together and play our annual game of street hockey in same parking lot as that of our former public school. No holds barred! Got an amazing shiner this year! Payback next year!

I liked going back to school. But I didn’t know that I liked it at the time. It was a lot of stress, but positive stress in hindsight.

This feels like a rhetorical question. Art. In my junior year I had 3 art classes in the same day.

I was poor and often on free lunch programs, so I don’t remember hating any of it. For many poor kids, the school free lunch is the most nutrition they will get in their day. I do remember skipping lunch as a teen because I was too embarrassed to be seen in the free lunch line.

I look forward to the kids being back at school. But the weeks just before going back are the worst.

Rarely. I hear from a high school friend maybe once every 3 years.

I can relate to that. Except when I was in high school everybody got free lunch, the alternative lunch, brought or bought their lunch and everyone in my group of friends threw it all into a pile in the center of the table and we all shared everything.

It was really odd now that I think about it

In grade school and middle school lunch money was collected in home room and we were given tokens for lunch.
In high school, I vaguely remember paying cash and pan bread was an extra 5¢ for a second piece, but we didn’t have separate lines for free lunch. All the lunches were the same.