Mid Week 5 Questions — The A, A, Achoo Edition

Spring is finally here. With the glorious spring weather, we also get the not-so-glorious pollen and yard work.

1. Do you suffer with spring time / seasonal / pollen allergies?

2. Do you enjoy having the windows open in the spring or do you go from running the furnace straight to running the air conditioner?

3. Yard work: love it, hate it, could take it or leave it? (If you live in an apartment or condo, do you wish you had a yard to take care of or is not having to do yard work a benefit to apartment / condo life.)

4. Do you have any favorite spring time activities that you look forward to every year?

5. Do you do annual spring cleaning of your domicile?

1 Like

All year round it seems. Not so much pollen. Leaf mold and black mold.

2. Do you enjoy having the windows open in the spring or do you go from running the furnace straight to running the air conditioner?
Windows stay open summer and winter (just a 1" crack in the winter though.) Need fresh air. Always. Never even had an AC until just last summer. Got one just before spending 2 weeks in August recuperating from one thing or another. Not sure if I’m gonna use it this year. Makes the air taste soggy.

3. Yard work: love it, hate it, could take it or leave it? (If you live in an apartment or condo, do you wish you had a yard to take care of or is not having to do yard work a benefit to apartment / condo life.)
It isn’t “yard work.” It’s “Gardening.” Lots of gardens = lots of time not in the house suffocating.

4. Do you have any favorite spring time activities that you look forward to every year?
Fishing.

Hmm…that’s a year round exercise in futility.

2 Likes

Around fall I start having sinus problems nothing really bothers me in the Spring

I go straight from not using any heat or A/C to using the A/C all the time. I could live without central heating.

I consider not having to do yard work a major benefit to living in an apartment. I lived on 6 acres as a kid and had to do yard work all the time. It’s a luxury not having to do that.

We’re reaching the 90s now, so there’s not too much difference than summertime. There’s only two times of year I look forward to different seasons. When it’s cold I want it to be summer, when it’s hot I want it to be winter.

When I live alone nothing is ever out of place. I suppose the only thing that I don’t do often enough is dusting. Sometimes when I’m vacuuming (which I do twice a week) I’ll run the vacuum over some dusty areas

2 Likes

Seems to be more noticeable in Spring, not sure if its pollen or some other crap in the air. This Spring has been particularly horrible.

In my car, yes, in my house … sometimes.

I like the end result of working hard on the yard (because then it looks good.) But, it’s a lot of work.

Hmm. I just like that its warmer and can walk trails with the kids, or throw the ball with the kids, etc.

I hate mess and am constantly battling it due to my wife and kids, so spring isn’t a particularly unique cleaning time. I’m constantly , ump, throwing stuff away (or donating stuff) under the radar. No one ever notices that things go missing. Ha!

2 Likes

I do have pollen allergies. Early spring isn’t so bad, but it’s tough when the oak trees coat everything with a green dusting of pollen.

I love having the windows open. But there’s a pretty narrow window in the spring from the time it’s warm enough to do so until the pollen breaks out.

Given the choice between doing yard work and doing another outdoor activity, I’ll take the other outdoor activity. The only reason I might say that I like yard work is that I do enjoy having a neat yard.

I’m an avid cyclist. Spring means the road bike comes off of the trainer in the basement and gets to be used outdoors.

My wife and I keep the house pretty tidy, so there’s not a need for a spring cleaning. But I do always give the garage a good cleaning and hose it out as soon as it’s warm enough to have the outside spigots turned on.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. sniff

We have some windows open all year 'round, but really open up the whole house in Spring and Fall. Won’t run AC until the temperature breaks 80°F.

Hate it. I’d rather spend my Saturday being punched in the crotch while my teeth are sawed in half one-by-one. Did I mention I hate yard work?

Boat on the lake. Cocktails on the boat. Sun on the horizon.

My domicile? Are you in law enforcement Steve? Sorry, er…there does tend to be a ramp-up in cleaning/purging during the Spring, but it really never stops.

2 Likes

[quote=“Steve_O, post:1, topic:7681”]
The power that be is conspiring against me, plus a few other people. Yes, I do suffer around this time of the year.

I’d live in a bubble if I could.

Hate it.

Consume a hefty amount of alcoholic beverages, like the rest of the year. You should try it.

Not if I could get away with it.

3 Likes

No allergies that I know of.

I like temperatures warmer than most, so I don’t often run our air conditioner until July. As for keeping the windows open, as long as there’s a screen to keep the bugs out, yeah, once late June or July rolls around.

I have a love-hate relationship with it. I like a tidy, well-kept yard, but I typically find excuses to avoid yard work. Once I start on it, though, it’s fine and I can work all day. I’m looking forward to planting our garden, but that’s still a month off.

Bicycles, motorcycles, hiking in the foothills (snow lasts well into June in the mountains).

Yard work takes precedence over house cleaning once the snow is gone and the accumulated debris from late fall and winter emerge from the snow. And then there’s the grass that needs to be mowed, the flower beds that need to be cleaned up and replanted, the fences that need staining, the bushes that need trimming and, well, all the housework just sort of moves outdoors.

2 Likes

I don’t suffer much. I do have more sinus issues in Spring/Summer than Winter/Fall. It’s not nearly as bad as what some go through.

I loveeeee having windows open. I open them just a tad even in winter while I’ll sleep. I love the feel of a little cool air coming in. I wouldn’t turn the AC on at all, but the past few summers here have been brutal. Humid to the point of not being able to breathe. I can’t deal with that. I do try to wait as long as possible. Nothing better than fresh air blowing in :slight_smile:

The one luxury of apartment life … no shoveling snow and no mowing grass :wink: I do however miss having a little piece of property to have a garden.

No. Other than getting to go outside more.

Nope. I just clean the place on a regular basis. It’s small and doesn’t take all that long :wink:

1 Like

I recently moved states and haven’t developed any allergies yet(fingers crossed), but back home the little fluff balls of death that come from cottonwood trees this time of year use to make my life miserable.

Love having the windows open, sometimes even in the winter

I live in an apartment, but I have lots of plants if that counts.

Watching Baseball.

I don’t, but if we’re being honest I probably should.

2 Likes

Nope

Fresh air all year round. Windows wide open when it’s warm out, closed when its cold. Never had an air conditioner, never will. Those things use too much electricity. If I wanted to live in a fridge I’d be a bottle of milk. At a push a fan of some kind occasionally.

We have a 6’x18’ yard with a raised border on one side under a low wall, potted plants and trees in bins and a wooden gate to the alleyway at the end. Taking care of it is basically gardening and sweeping the path. It’s not hard work.

Walking to work starts as soon as the weather is nice enough. 45 minutes in the fresh air is a good start to the day.

I try to keep it clean + tidy all the time. Occasionally have a clear out, but not necessarily in spring.

1 Like