Mid Week 5 Questions -- The Gobble Gobble Edition

Break out the stretchy pants and the Rolaids, tomorrow is Thanksgiving!

1. What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food?

2. Are there any non-traditional Thanksgiving foods you do on Thanksgiving?

3. Are you headed out of town for Thanksgiving, going to someone else’s house in your town, hosting a Thanksgiving dinner at your place or not celebrating?

4. Thanksgiving Day Parade . . . take it or leave it?

5. What is one thing you’re thankful for?

BONUS QUESTION: Have you ever thought, “I’d really like to see this movie (or this TV show),” searched Netflix, and had it actually be on Netflix?

3 Likes

Pumpkin Pie

Well, if I’m at my mother-in-laws … tamales

3. Are you headed out of town for Thanksgiving, going to someone else’s house in your town, hosting a Thanksgiving dinner at your place or not celebrating?
At my mother-in-law’s (out of town)

Never cared about it. My kids like it, but they also aren’t heartbroken if they miss it.

One thing? Hmmm … I’m thankful for my parents who have always been a great example to me.

BONUS QUESTION: Have you ever thought, “I’d really like to see this movie (or this TV show),” searched Netflix, and had it actually be on Netflix?
Nothing comes to mind.

2 Likes

My mom’s stuffing is pretty delicious.

Every other year, we do two Thanksgivings: one on Thanksgiving and on that weekend when my sister is in town. This year, I convinced everyone to have a non-traditional meal on Thanksgiving and the traditional meal when my sister is here instead of two traditional meals. We’re splurging on a beef tenderloin for Thanksgiving day.

We usually go to my mom’s house in town.

I couldn’t care less about the parade.

My son’s girlfriend was in a pretty serious car accident this past spring. She still has a long road ahead of her, but she’s recovering. Very grateful that we did not loose her and for the progress she’s made.

Nope, never. If a movie comes to mind that I want to watch, Netflix never has it.

1 Like

Thanksgiving is a time to make a lot of favorite foods. If I had to pick one, it would be hot-from-the-oven homemade bread.

Scalloped oysters. Very similar to this, minus the cayenne and parsley (yuck) and with the oysters cut up into bits:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222401/chef-johns-scalloped-oysters/

Staying at home, celebrating with immediate family.

Leave it. Too contrived and fake these days.

Being on the green side of the grass.

What is this Netflix you speak of?

2 Likes

Pecan Pie. I’m not sure if that’s considered a traditional Thanksgiving food- but it’s something my family has always had around during the Holiday.

Not me, but my Ex’s (of 8 years) family would always make Pierogies.

I’m not celebrating. My wife gets the rest of the year off and went to spend a week with her elderly parents. So I’m just kind of chilling out that day. We just took 2 weeks off not too long ago, and I’d feel bad having to take another week off to travel.

I don’t care for it at all, but other’s seem to enjoy it- so I see it as a plus.

That given my prospects as a kid- a poor child from a broken home, who was surround by drugs and abuse, that I turned out okay. My brothers continued the cycle, though- so the world is at a net loss. I managed to have a stable, great paying job, not prone to violence, or even anger- and have limited experience with drugs (just pot)

Any movie that I’ve wanted to see in the past, I would have seen before Netflix. Any more recent movie that I want to see- I would see in theaters. So the only movies that I would search for on Netflix would be movies that someone tells me that I should watch on Netflix. I rarely, if ever do any Netflix searching

2 Likes

Turkey stuffing and turkey gravy; tied on my list of favorites, and in the race to my stomach.

One of my sons has a turkey mental block; I make him chicken. [shrug]

My Mom always hosted dinner, but its become too much work at her age, so now we do it.

Parades are a bizarre custom in general, but add in TV coverage with all your least favorite daytime on-air “personalities,” and it quickly becomes excruciating. Uh, leave it.

I’m thankful that all of our perceived problems stem from being more fortunate than many people whose problems are more fundamental. Or more simply, things could be so much worse; I’m thankful they aren’t.

YES! Maybe once or twice, but it was probably something I already knew was on Netflix.

That’s a pretty specific question, Steve. Frustrated with Netflix? If so, I sympathize. I’m not sure I’ve ever used it without complaining about the interface. (One of those ‘problems’ I mentioned in answering #5.)

2 Likes

Thick, rich gravy. About the only time of the year I have it. I have it on the turkey, potatoes and stuffing and even dip the biscuit in it :smiley:

Not really… it’s pretty standard food. However I as much as I love sweet potatoes if anyone makes that evil dish with marshmallows … they can keep it :wink: I have always hated it. Must be a texture thing and I’m not all that crazy about marshmallow in general.

Headed to Fort Plain to my sisters. It’s almost 2 hours from here depending on traffic and weather :wink:

I used to love it as a kid. I would probably still love it if I could actually be there or watch it without the talking heads. They drive me batty with the non stop chatter and lame attempts at humorous banter. It’s usually hosted by Kathie Lee Chatterbox and/or Hoda Blabbermouth. Two of the most annoying, migraine inducing people I’ve had the displeasure to see.

I’m thankful that the biggest thing I have to bitch about right now is who is hosting a parade :wink: On a more serious note … thankful that I and my loved ones have made it another year. I’ll also be welcoming a new grand niece into the world in late Dec early Jan. :heart:

Movies … nope. They have always been available on DVD but never on streaming. TV shows yes. That’s how I found SOA recently. Most times I go to Netflix for a movie when I already know it’s going to be there. :wink:

2 Likes

Ham

Ham. Our get togethers are pretty big so we pretty much always have a turkey and a ham. I prefer the ham over turkey — especially since my wife’s grandma has started baking the turkey the day before and reheating it.

We’re headed to my wife’s grandparents. It’s about a 4 hour drive. It will probably be the last year they host it. They’re getting up there and hosting a big meal, even with lots of outside help, is getting to be too much work for them. Then on Saturday, one of my sisters is hosting a meal for my side.

I used to look forward to it as a kid, but I haven’t seen it for decades.

Family and life in general of course, but even though it’s been two years since we moved, I still wake up every day glad and excited to be living outside of town again after years of city and suburbs. I mean no offense of course to others living in cities and suburbs (in fact some of my closest friends live in cities and suburbs :wink:) but having grown up on a farm, I never quite got the hang of living in town.

Nothing comes immediately to mind. I guess they had the original Star Trek and The Next Generation so I was glad those were on there.

2 Likes

Boy, this has never come up in forum before, never come up at work, I don’t talk about it - I am… A vegetarian. No, I didn’t hop on the hipster-wholefoods-bandwagon. I’ve been a vegetarian for over 10 years. Myself being, well, my only living family member (aside from the family I helped create), I’m trying to dodge some serious bad genes, Colon cancer, heart disease - hell, the mortality rate for the two in the USA is so high, you’re likely to perish from one or the other.

Good grief, depressing for Thanksgiving, I’m not a preacher here - Eat your turkey (and all your meats), and enjoy it, and I sincerely mean that. Just (if you’re one of those ‘I hate veggies’ die-hard meat eaters) eat a few more plants for me. Sometimes. Do it for me. Better yet, do it for you and your family.

Stop right there. No. No Tofurky here. I find it odd to dress up vegetables and pass them off as meat.
I love stuffing. I love that cornbread Kitty was talking about. I love leafy greens, cooked in olive oil and garlic. Home made pesto. Coconut pie. Fresh Cranberry sauce,

Since my wonderful love was recently diagnosed with a gluten allergy, and me being veg, about a week ago we received a formal letter from the government, signed by the local community and our closest loved ones, that we’re banned from Thanksgiving for all time. There’s a small (18 people or so) mob outside our home right now. Only one of them has a torch, which, was disappointing.

eh. If I was present, and moderately intoxicated, I might enjoy it. Otherwise, I’d rather not watch a stream of inflatable marketing material.

I’m thankful for a lot this year. I usually don’t ‘do’ the thankful thing. But I have a wonderful wife, two amazing kids, Industry talent that I often under-rate, a new home, a new job, and a Jeep - that, despite having a radiator that sprays coolant at other drivers, a power steering pump that sounds like a Blue Whale, and a Hemi engine that gets 5.6 mile to the gallon, still runs like a charm.

Ever see the movie “Willow”? I would love to watch that again.

Oh wait? Actually found it on Netflix? “A Brilliant Mind” was recently on and “Dead Poet Society”

Does Nicolas Cage have Stock in Netflix? I watched a movie that started out "Nicolas Cage IS… Nicolas Cage, starring Nicolas Cage, WITH Nicolas Cage. It was some movie about the Romans. Nicolas Cage was in it for 4 minutes, and had two lines.

2 Likes

Those foods that are mainly just brought out on Thanksgiving aren’t all that tasty or they would be eaten more often, so I can’t really say any are favorites.

Nope. Well, I picked a kumquat off the tree outside our hotel room today. Never having eaten one, I popped it in my mouth and bit down thinking it would taste like an orange. It didn’t — most sour thing I’ve ever eaten. I half expected to find the enamel on my teeth dissolved, but I found no permanent damage.

Thinking Thanksgiving was next week, I booked a vacation to Palm Springs this week. So we’ll be here tomorrow sitting around the pool sipping margaritas on Thanksgiving instead of spending the day at the in-laws. Mrs B thinks I’m an idiot.

Leave it. I’ve never quite understood the appeal of parades.

One of my best friends as a child up though college died suddenly last week from a heart attack. His funeral was this past Monday. It’s been very upsetting, but it’s given me reason to reflect on many things that are important in life — many of which we take for granted until they’re gone.

I’ve had that happen on Amazon Prime, but not Netflix. I can’t remember what it was, though.

1 Like

As a family, we decided several years ago that life is too short to eat things you hate on Thanksgiving. It’s all about making favorite foods now.

idiot …or genius?? :wink:

You are killin’ me :smiley: :smiley:

Agreed :slight_smile: