Mid Week 5 Questions -- The Nom Nom Nom Edition

1. Do you enjoy cooking or would you rather go out to eat?

2. If you enjoy cooking, do you have any specialties?

3. It’s 2:00 in the afternoon. You want a snack. Do you go salty or sweet?

4. What is your junk food guilty pleasure?

5. Cooking shows . . . love ‘em or pass?

1 Like

Sometimes I enjoy cooking, but not regularly. Sometimes I’d rather go out to eat — maybe once a week.

Italian food, chow mein sometimes. Our garden is in full swing right now, so lots of things come out of there.

Never salty — I avoid it like the plague. Sweet is another story, though.

Ice cream. I rarely buy the stuff because when I do, I can’t stop eating it until the entire carton is empty.

Never watch them for the simple sake of watching them. Sometimes, if there’s something I feel like cooking, I’ll look for YouTube videos on it.

1 Like

I enjoy cooking, and I would rather go out to eat. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I worked in pizza places for years through my teens and twenties. I rarely make pizza at home, but all my cooking is of strong Italian influence, fused with my love for Chinese cuisine. But with my pizza/sandwich shop foundation, at heart I’m probably a lowly “fry cook.” Did a Fourth-of-July cookout this year with a griddle load of cheesesteak, sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc., making custom state fair-style hoagies (or whatever they’re called in your locale) and deep-fryer fare for our guests. It went over quite well since we didn’t invite any vegans or others who have a 5-year plan that includes their good health.

Yes, yes I do.

Hmmm…is stromboli junk food? If not, I’ll go yellow cake with my wife’s vanilla frosting.

Pass on any but Good Eats. The quirky mix of science, comedy, and, well, good eats, is irresistible. I’ll watch any episode from any season about any dish, even if it’s something I’ll never make myself. If/when I cook well, it’s because I love the people who’ll be eating, and because of the OCD-chef principles I’ve learned watching Good Eats.

1 Like

I prefer to go out, but as a treat. I eat pretty light when I’m by myself. If I’m hungry I’ll grab a handful of nuts and a banana or something and be done with it. Or I’ll just blend a bunch of stuff together and drink it. No cooking, no cleanup, and 30 minutes after the “meal”, or once I’m satiated- it doesn’t matter what I ate.

My wife cooks most nights (it’s a hobby of hers), and I help cook and clean up, but I honestly think the time could be spent more productively.

I really don’t, but this is what I eat for breakfast every morning.

• One half cup of old fashioned oats, prepared like instant oatmeal (just add microwaved water) so the oats are still rough and chewy.
  • Two tablespoons of PB Fit peanut butter powder.
  • One tablespoon of semi-sweet baking chocolate chips.
  • One tablespoon of sliced almonds.

Both. I love sweet/salty foods, but if I had to pick one, it would be sweet.

Ice cream. All sorts of bad things happen to me when I consume dairy, but I’m constantly fighting to resist the urge to eat it. And I do at-least once a week.

I love them

1 Like
    My husband has been to culinary school, so he’s our cook. I prefer to bake.

Baking, I’m pretty good with cheesecake made from scratch.

Yes.

McDonald’s

I like them, but don’t go out of my way to watch them.

1 Like

My wife and I both enjoy cooking. We only eat out about once a week.

I enjoy smoking and grilling, particularly grilled pizzas.

I really try to watch the intake of sweets, so probably salty.

White Castle.

There are several cooking related YouTube channels I like, but I don’t follow cooking shows or celebrity chefs.

1 Like

I enjoy cooking. It’s relaxing. Especially when I have time to do it right. I only go out to family-type restaurants and usually order the specials. I avoid the chains with their pre-packaged menus.

Smoking and grilling is fun. Thanksgiving dinner is my favorite day. Inside cooking is mostly just Italian-inspired things but I do like a challenge now and then. Grandma’s recipe box is always a challenge. LOL. After nearly 15 years and probably several dozen batches of cookies I’ve finally got her specialty maple cookies down cold!

I don’t do salt. Not for health reasons, we just don’t use it so I hate salty food. Sweet is the way to go but at 2 in the afternoon, it is usually a piece of fruit of some kind. Now the snack at elevenses, that might be a homemade cookie or muffin.

Dunkin Donuts Brownie Batter donuts. Thank goodness they only make them in February.

I used to watch the Galloping Gourmet as a kid home sick from school. That was one funny dude. Now? No. Food snobs, all of them. Same goes for the cooking magazines, only squared.

1 Like

I don’t like cooking anything that takes longer to cook than it does to eat. But my wife enjoys cooking enough for the both of us. And it’s delicious enough that I don’t miss restaurant food.

Microwavable foods.

Both.

Ice cream sandwiches. I’m going to have to kick the habit soon, or I will be less than zombified.

I can’t remember the name of the show. But I liked the one where the chef was sent to a foreign place with no money and had to cook to earn his way home.

I also liked a mini show on ROKU “Chow” channel called “You’re doing it all wrong”

1 Like

Yes but I enjoy a good pizza at The Talk Of The Town.

I do 99% of the cooking in our house. I have a couple of self proclaimed specialties. I make a mean Hot Dog sauce and a killer Seafood Chowder (Tents included)

Salty
Doritos dipped in Sour Cream (The whole family size bag) and Cherry pie
Love em that’s how I learned to cook. Thanks Emeril and Bobby

1 Like

I usually don’t have time to cook very often, and even if I do I like things I can prepare and cook in an hour or less usually. So, I guess eating out … or course eating out has a bigger impact on my wallet.

When I do cook, I love making stir fry because it’s easy to “wing it”. Veggies, meat, sauce … all good.

Usually salty.

Hmmm. Good question. I’m not sure if I’m drawn to anything in particular. Chips, candy bars, trail mix, whatever.

I’ll admit it, I love all of those cooking competition ones. Chopped, Iron Chef, Beat Bobby Flay. But I’m not a fan of the ones that are more “instructional” … even though as a kid I oddly watched Yan Can Cook on PBS quite a bit. Ha!

1 Like

OMG. Every wok pun possible while chopping pork with 2 cleavers. He was freakin’ awesome.

2 Likes

The funny thing is I was probably 9 or 10 and I watched it all the time. He was/is awesome.

1 Like

Oh boy, food is my other passion.

1. Do you enjoy cooking or would you rather go out to eat? I cook every day and also eat out a lot.

2. If you enjoy cooking, do you have any specialties? I love to cook Asian food, but also gourmet “fat kid” food. This week I’ve made wagyu steak tacos, gourmet burgers, mince bacon and cheese pies.

3. It’s 2:00 in the afternoon. You want a snack. Do you go salty or sweet? Savoury. To be honest though, I usually eat lunch around 2pm and I don’t really snack.

4. What is your junk food guilty pleasure? Fried chicken.

5. Cooking shows . . . love ‘em or pass? I used to watch a lot of cooking shows but now I prefer culinary tour and food/chef documentaries. Check out Ugly Delicious, Chefs Table.

1 Like

I cook every day. I’ve never been much of an outside eater. I’ve gone to a nice place on occasion but I’m honestly more comfortable at home and I love to whip of an old fav or some new concoction :wink: Joe was also a chef for many years … so if I’m not cooking he is. He does all the fancy stuff I don’t know how to.

I make killer Southern Fried Chicken. I’ve been “trained” by my Italian sister-in-law and her sisters on proper Italian cooking. Right down to home made gnocchi. I also make a divine NY Style cheesecake that is much in demand for family events. I also love making candy. I whip up my little special batches mostly at Christmas but whenever there is a request put in. Here is one of my Cheesecakes smothered in berries and Grand Marnier Raspberry sauce.

10153234_10202614858987654_2565590507871759273_n

Salty … now if you said 9pm … sweet with a cup of tea… I love something sweet with a big mug of tea for night time TV viewing.

Chips … they have to be ridges and plain. And I can only buy one bag at a time because if I don’t it’s dangerous :wink:

Used to love them. I was/am a huge fan of Julia Child. I have seen all her cooking shows over and over and still get thrilled when I can find them. I grew up watching her,Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet) He was a really funny guy :slight_smile: I was pretty happy watching any PBS cooking show like Great Chef’s and A Moveable Feast. I could watch them over and over. I also loved Barefoot Contessa, Good Eats, Bitchin’ Kitchen, Martha Stewart’s Cooking show, anything from Nigella Lawson, The Two Fat Ladies, and anything by Anthony Bourdain. RIP :frowning:

I’m not much into them anymore. They’ve all become so “game show” and in your face that they annoy me quickly. I will say I have found a few YouTubers that I love watching cook. Some old Grandma types and folks who just love to cook :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d much rather cook something at home - eating out is never as good. If I do eat out I like to go somewhere you can see the kitchen.

Couscous and fish is a current favourite, with a lime pesto drizzle. The couscous will have 12-15 things in it like spring onions, butterbeans, garlic, pickled red pepper, okra. Whatever I cook It’s different every time. If I’m doing anything with a sauce like pasta or curry I like to do the sauce from scratch, not out of a jar.

No preference

Does Fish & Chips count? I don’t really do junk food

Meh

1 Like

Both.

Baked Alaska.

Both.

Chips.

WTF?