Murdered by Words

I’m actually a very happy person lol.

Yep. That.^

The rainclouds in America’s political atmosphere are bursting with manipulation. The 24-hour “news”-ertainment networks (that weren’t nearly so popular before 9/11) provide the high humidity that sparks the thunderstorms.

Yes, if you’re firmly on one side or the other, you’ve been conquered.

And this is where I always have to explain how “conspiracy” doesn’t mean “myth.”

1 Like

I think this is a basic, built-in human flaw that somehow got encoded into our genetic makeup.

This tendency seems to make little logical sense given that it would seem more beneficial to an individual to remain flexible and accept what is actually the case rather than cling to preliminary positions that subsequent evidence points to as being faulty.

That tendency, I think, is in all of us, so it’s something I try make an effort to pay conscious attention to when I see myself falling into the same trap.

Paraphrasing Frankie Boyle here from memory;

Some people are in love with money. They gather as much of it as they can, without regard for the consequences. Some of them become powerful, almost as a by-product. They do not care about us, about the suffering they cause and they will continue to pursue whatever baroque fantasy they want to, because we don’t care enough to stop them.

You’re right. It’s our survival instinct. Our lizard brain is constantly scanning for what is “out of place” to identify possible threats. Another manifestation would be seeing some “thing” out of the corner of your eye (as your brain tries to fit the limited info into a pattern).

Fear of the other is ingrained into humans like any other animal. That’s why racists often don’t think they’re racists. they just think they are keeping themselves and their families safe because they’re too dumb to figure it out for themselves.

You are correct of course. The struggle to leave this kind of thinking behind is the story of what we call Civilisation. We civilise ourselves by leaving the animal instincts behind.