Murdered by Words

2 Likes

The client probably would have put it off til October 31st lol.

2 Likes

I thought it was just another murder of convention by making a new pull quote style.
(shrug)

1 Like

I think itā€™s the perfect characterization of King Idiot Boris. Stupid is as stupid does.

I also think using this site to promote political views is BS.

Sloppy editing, uncombed hair, empty quotes ā€” at least thereā€™s consistency in it all.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t being political, it was the tweets about printing I thought were relevant. Iā€™m an American, I have enough political bs to deal with & leave that to FB. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Cool. It just seems to be everywhere these days. My bad. I apologize if it was harsh.

2 Likes

No worries, he IS a knob though right? :rofl:

1 Like

I am sick and tired of being shocked by how low weā€™ve gone in my lifetime. When I was a kid, one parent with a full time job was all that was needed to get by. As long as you worked you could afford a house and family. People used to care about other people and could even argue about differences of opinion.

But Sun Tauā€™s First Rule of War has become the standard for personal as well as political speech: Divide and Conquer.

Sit down and watch 1 hour of Fox News, then watch 1 hour of MSNBC. They literally have completely different narratives that cannot function together. One side tells their side what the other side is thinking - which is always wrong. And vice versa. No one knows whatā€™s true anymore. And if you disagree you will be grouped with ā€œthemā€ and even told that ā€œweā€ are not Americans, even not human ā€œenoughā€, or white enough, or male enough.

It makes me sick.

1 Like

Me too.

Iā€™m not much of an MSNBC watcher or reader, but I do look at CNNā€™s and FOXā€™s websites each day, and theyā€™re reporting the news from two seemingly different planets with entirely different inhabitants living on them.

When I want to find out what the actual news is, I typically head to the BBC. Itā€™s bizarre that more neutral and objective reporting of U.S. news is coming from London than from here in the U.S.

1 Like

I stopped watching the news years ago. Even the local news. My go-tos are NPR, the BBC and to an extent Politico.

NPR has drunk the progressive left kool-aid.
I used to listen to them all the time for a wide variety of topics and what is going on in the world and even the economy. Not any more.
The BBC is about all thatā€™s left with some semblance of objectivity.

1 Like

From Wikipedia:
ā€œThe Progressive Era was a period of widespread social activism and political reform across the United States that spanned the 1890s to the 1920s.[1] The main objectives of the Progressive movement were eliminating problems caused by industrialization, urbanization, immigration, and political corruption. The movement primarily targeted political machines and their bosses. By taking down these corrupt representatives in office, a further means of direct democracy would be established. They also sought regulation of monopolies (trust busting) and corporations through antitrust laws, which were seen as a way to promote equal competition for the advantage of legitimate competitors.ā€

I see your point, NO WAY we would need any of this to happen now.

1 Like

Mmm. Used to be. These days, it seems to be more and more a corbyn-bashing government mouthpiece.

A few weeks ago, there was a pro-Europe rally, in which thousands gathered in Central London. Not a word from the BBC. Four leavers and a dog walk from the North East to London with a ā€˜Leave Now or elseā€™ agenda and thereā€™s daily coverage. Everything has to be cross -checked these days. Whichever side of the political fence you sit on, this is not right and is definitely not impartial

That said, I agree, best if a bad lot.

Yes, but youā€™re referring to how the BBC reports British news on their home turf, where the politics lately seem to be just as contentious and dysfunctional as they are here in the U.S.

When it comes to the BBC reporting news from America, thereā€™s an ocean between us and the biases seem to be a bit more tempered by dispassionate objectivity.

1 Like

I used to spend a lot of my time in Italy and although we watched the local news, we kept in touch with world news via the BBC World Service, which always felt more like old school, impartial regular BBC used to be. Maybe they are just better at international reporting. Less pressure from interested parties, perhaps?

I was being polite, not historical.
And I learned about the art of misdirection a loooooong time ago. Thatā€™s a lesson a lot of the current news media seems to have missed out on. They fall for it time after timeā€¦after timeā€¦

1 Like

I have to directly dispute the idea that the media is missing out on anything. They are complicit. Notice how the day Trump was sworn in the media just stopped talking about Russiaā€™s annexation of Ukraine? Notice Iā€™m not taking sides or giving opinion. But that was front page for over a year - Gone. Sure, you can find info, but itā€™s not ā€œimportantā€ anymore. Thatā€™s collusion. Thatā€™s propaganda by one or both parties.

6 companies own 95% of the worlds news outlets. Fox News is played all day long to our troops and in US airports.

We are uninformed because we have to go look for news. As soon as you go looking you taint the news because you are (intentional or not) cherry picking your sources. That = anecdotal evidence = no evidence.

Hereā€™s the perfect example:
The Muller report states that there were over 200 contacts by the Trump Whitehouse with Russian Government representatives prior to the election. Fox News says there were no contacts, or if they were, they had nothing to do with the election. MSNBC says (Trump) colluded - follow the money.

The only fact in that paragraph is that 200 contacts were made. But our news NEVER MENTIONED THAT. They only argued over the opinions.

News is supposed to be facts, not opinion. <ā€”period. End of.

2 Likes

That was my point with NPR. Used to be all kinds of news about world events, especially Ukraine at the time, and all kinds of interesting science and finance, then became 24/7 Trump. Or at least 4 out of 5 reports referenced Trump in some not so favorable a fashion. I donā€™t like the guy, didnā€™t vote for him, but Iā€™m really done with people spending my hard earned tax dollars on their grandstanding. On both sides. Tomorrow, I hear, is another circus in the making.

Last time I was in an airport CNN was on all the TVs. Same in the 2 hospital waiting rooms I inhabit relatively often these days.

I just got a ā€œnews appā€ with my last Apple OS update. Spent the day today during break times driving it crazy with clicking on the weirdest stories I could find just to see what it ā€œrecommended for you based on your reading selections.ā€ By midday I had it finding me all sorts of conspiracy theory stuff, things on weather oddities and trash articles on Boris and the Kardashians, along with some heroic housepet articlesā€¦
That sort of news feed is probably the worst of all, and the scariest, because it feeds a personā€™s biases unchecked without offering any differing optics - a totally insulating news bubble. That right there, in one big nutshell explains a lot about what is wrong with the news these days.

1 Like

Iā€™m right there with you man. The only point Iā€™m really trying to make is (and this sounds truly tasteless but I mean it):
ā€œWhy canā€™t we all just get along?ā€

Iā€™ve deduced that the powers that be donā€™t want us to. Like I said in the beginning, divide and conquer. Remember the movie ā€œNetworkā€?
ā€œFirst you gotta get mad! Then you gotta yell out Iā€™m mad as hell and Iā€™m not gonna take it anymore!ā€

I used to be an International Mediator, trying to bring people together instead of going to court and destroying the businesses theyā€™ve built over petty squabbles. People are more concerned about confirming their biases than about finding a solution. Why spend money to fix a problem when you can just blame it on everyone else?