Need a laptop that works well for both gaming and editing

I would like to play the game as well as edit photos. Heard a lot of gaming monitors seem to be poor at displaying accurate color, some even have 100% Adobe RGB screens otherwise, it should be OK. There is always a lot of discussions here about laptops for photo editing and gaming but it usually focusses on the smaller end of the market. I am also trying to figure out what to get for a laptop that isn’t stupidly expensive, or too cheap, I’m thinking in the $900 or less range, but that’s purely a guess.

Link removed.

You have been here over a year so I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you weren’t trying to spam us :wink:

If so … you are the worlds slowest spammer :smiley: LOL

No more clipping path links or you will prove me wrong and I will regret giving you a pass :wink:

My standard answer to the gaming/work combination is don’t.
If your livelihood depends on your computer, don’t be using it for games.
I used to have to continually remind my coworkers not to fill up their hard drives with music and podcasts. With online streaming that isn’t so much an issue, but still has to be checked.
Games at work are not allowed.

The Adobewares require a lot of free hard drive scratch space if you want to do anything with any speed. I recommend 1/3 to 1/2 of the drive be empty at all times. With Photoshop, just the work history, depending on your settings, takes up a huge amount of scratch.

3 Likes

I am thinking about upgrading to a Microsoft Surface Book 2. This could maybe be used for both gaming and editing, however, it is definitely not in the $900 or less range.

Both gaming and editing require a strong video card (GPU), so whatever you buy make sure it has a recent NVIDIA or AMD card. If you are on a budget, consider a desktop instead of a laptop, because you will be able to buy a much faster computer for less.

The surface is not good for gaming or editing. It’s going to be too slow and annoying. Your best option is probably to get a desktop PC designed for gaming. The same will be perfect for editing.

Most gaming systems come at a premium and will easily run graphic design applications. The major differences are usually the processor, video card and cooling system. Computers used just for work applications, such as design or motion graphics will need considerably less power than a gaming system.

The place to start is look at the minimum requirements of the software you’ll plan to run. Here is a link for the Adobe software system requirements. You’ll have to research the requirements for the games you’ll want to play as well. Once you have those numbers, you can seek out the most powerful system that you can buy within your budget.