Need expert advice on taking book illustration as a career

I am an illustrator by profession. I have been working in the industry as a freelance illustrator for 5 years and now I am interested in taking a single domain as my career path in the illustration world. The domain I wanted to choose is of book illustration as I found the demand of famous children’s book illustrators in my freelancing period. However, I am still unaware of many other domains and their advantage over what I am choosing. Therefore, if anyone here has experience then kindly mention in the comments below.

Link removed. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you weren’t trying to spam us :wink:

I couldn’t even see if that was a legitimate site since the ''BUY NOW" coupon wouldn’t go away. :wink:

1 Like

I would start researching your options. Have you ever searched for “career paths of illustrators,” before? Check out this link: Seven Common Illustration Jobs And Their Average Salaries

Instead of asking everyone for all of the options, it would be wiser to select a few career paths, or domains as you’ve called them, and ask specific questions regarding them. Likewise, you may find more targeted communities to get advice from, as this place may be a little too broad in scope to find all of the resources you’re asking for.

The only thing I have to say is that children’s book illustration is a difficult field to break into. In today’s world, the marketplace is already oversaturated with illustrators. Children’s book illustration is just about the most crowded segment of that already overcrowded field — unless you’re after the self-publishing part of that segment, in which case, there’s little to no money to be made.

In my opinion, you’ll find more jobs as a freelance illustrator in the market places in the future if you have a website that will describe portfolio. In this respect, you can build your own professional website. You can seek your domain name on Namecheap(Dot)com and choose your preferable domain name. I’ve found a domain name ‘bookdesign24(dot)com’ that you can purchase for your website.