Need feedback on my charity website

I am a student and I created a website for creating custom poetry for charity. I would love to get feedback on the wordpress website I created. Please be constructive so that i can continue to grow and feel confident about my website.
Thank you!
Wesite is - poetryspurpose it is a dot com website, this post is not letting me add link

Mod Edit: poetryspurpose.com

I added your link for you and moved this to the student section.

One thing that stands out is the paragraph writing … no caps at the beginning of a sentence? That really throws me.

The bottom paragraph is one longgggg run on sentence. It needs a bit of a re-do as well.

I don’t have time to read everything, however the look and feel is simple and clean. That’s a good thing in my book :wink: All the buttons are working properly as well.

My biggest things are the lack of caps and the grammar is a bit off. Otherwise looks pretty good to me.

And…

Welcome Aboard!!!

:smiley:

Hi. Welcome.

Before I’d make any critique about the design of your site, can I just say one thing; please, please, please replace the prime mark in your logo with an apostrophe.

1 Like

That may have been the only choice as this is how the apostrophe appears in many fonts :wink: I’m sure there are many out there who can’t distinguish between the two.

I think that’s Monserrat, so it does. For me, primes used in place of apostrophes are a typographic Room 101. Then again I am a bit of a type geek!

1 Like

What’s stopping me from using another font? It’s not being literate. It’s the appearance of being literate. Or, at least type-savvy.

1 Like

I’m sort of a type geek myself, so feel free to skip my continuation of this tangent.

Almost every TTF or OTF font worth using has both the straight-up-and-down apostrophes and quote marks as well as the curly ones. The problem is that keyboards default to the straight marks, which mimic old typewriters. Another problem is that, on websites, the curly marks are properly written out as HTML entities rather than just typed in. This is because earlier browsers did not recognize non-ASCII characters, and the 7-bit set of 128 ASCII characters did not include the curly marks. As a result, when typing a curly apostrophe into HTML, the curly apostrophe should be written out as ’, ” or ".

Typing the curly marks into a word processor or layout program requires awkward key combinations that most people don’t know or bother with. Lots of new software apps automatically substitute the font’s curly marks for the straight ones (which causes a problem when someone really does want the straight ones for use as, well, prime marks when making, for example, inch and foot notations or typing in a language that uses the straight marks.

And if this weren’t enough, Unicode (the official numerical designations that associate each glyph with its equivalent character in a font) uses separate numbers for all these things. Unicode, for example, treats prime marks as separate characters from straight marks, so each has a separate Unicode designation. Since prime marks typically look the same as the straight marks, most people just use the straight marks and don’t bother with the Unicode-designated single and double prime marks, which are absent in most fonts anyway (except the fonts I design, which include them :grinning:).

Picking up on others’ comments, a website about writing (poetry) is compromised when the writing on the site is less than immaculate.

The unusual and erratic capitalization is especially awkward. In a site devoted to poetry, there’s room for taking artistic liberties with the language. Even so, those artistic exceptions need to be consistently applied and contribute to the general personality of the site rather than appearing as oddities that draw attention to themselves.

It seems that you’re inserting a couple of pixels of CSS letter spacing to the Montserrat body copy. It’s almost always looks wrong (can’t think of any exceptions) to letter space or track out body copy. For that matter, I’d likely use another typeface altogether. Montserrat is a nice typeface, but its geometric proportions make it seem a little mechanical and hard-edged for a poetry site.

At your mobile widths, in the hamburger menu, the CSS hovers are causing the type to display as white on white.

The edges of the logo are just a bit ragged and not well anti-aliased into the background color, which I’m guessing is a problem with how you created the PNG transparency. For something like this, it would be better to use an SVG file than a PNG. If it were me, I would also have used a typeface that better matched the logo to spell out “Poetry’s Purpose” (with the right apostrophe, of course).

What does the globe with the “Hold On” words mean?

There are quite a few other little problems throughout the site, like those having to do with punctuation and paragraph spacing.

From a UX point of view, if I visited the site for the first time, I’d need to dig a bit to figure out what the site was about and how much the poems cost and how it all related to donating money. Reading through the site answers all these questions, but most people who are only casually interested don’t take the time to decipher things like this that aren’t immediately apparent to them at first or second glance. If it were me, I’d likely reduce the space allocated to what is essentially a full-panel blue-green background into and devote more space to quickly and concisely telling visitors what the site is and how it works in just a bit more detail than you have.

All these things might seem relatively minor, and most are, but cumulatively they add up.

Thank you! I will take your input and use suggestions to make changes.

here is a free poem ta’ have:
i clicked on a link to a website
pop-up and follows me alright!
turning them off was a fright
my computer absorbed a blight
were every dark mode became bright
then the screen lost its sight
the tech store was closed that night
and their hours aren’t right
social distancing and protests fight
makes travel a dangerous fright
so i will read a book