Need Help Customizing My Boring Desktop

Ahhh … and there we have it.

The other shoe has finished dropping :wink:

Jack will no longer be posting. Neither will his sock puppet acct.

But, the thread remains as it’s rather funny :wink:

2 Likes

Called it. :smirk:

3 Likes

I don’t really like Unicorns, well I do - but I don’t have them as desktop backgrounds.

And with Unicorns reminds me of a story I read a few weeks ago.

Unicorn Cookbook Found at the British Library

A long-lost medieval cookbook, containing recipes for hedgehogs, blackbirds and even unicorns, has been discovered at the British Library. Professor Brian Trump of the British Medieval Cookbook Project described the find as near-miraculous. “We’ve been hunting for this book for years. The moment I first set my eyes on it was spine-tingling.”

An illustration of a unicorn on a grill, from a 14th-century manuscript.

2 Likes

You did, indeed. :grinning:

1 Like

I remember a nursery rhyme from when I was a small child that opened with the line, “Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye, four and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie.” There was no mention of hedgehogs and unicorns, though.

2 Likes

Actually cracking read on the real meaning of nursery rhymes. Who knew?

1 Like

I have a book of Grimm’s Fairy Tales. They’re all stories of children being abandoned by evil parents, grandmothers being eaten alive, witches being roasted in ovens, and other horrors. I’m not sure why anyone ever thought these were suitable stories for small children.

1 Like

They were planned for contemporary children. Long-term thinking aren’t they?

Cautionary tales for children. Seems to be a way to teach kids about dangers and literally making them afraid of the monsters in the shadows that don’t exist, so that they never have to know about the monsters that live among us, which is far more terrifying.

That made me laugh!

They’ll come for those next, right after they are done with Dr. Seuss.

2 Likes

Hi, chasegrisby56 — just a suggestion for you — I looked at the apps and they were all Windows, not Mac. When you post suggestions for applications it would be courteous to add whether the apps are for Windows only, Mac only, or both Windows and Mac.

1 Like

Ooops! I just saw the original post was about Windows PCs, not Macs. So, disregard my previous comment please.

The tale of Hänsel and Gretel always makes me wonder how they got away with their story. Imagine two brats come home with stolen jewelry from an old lady they just murdered in the woods and everyone is just giving them kudos for burning the evil witch that tricked them into her gingerbread house - yeah, sounds about right!

In addition to the usual Brothers Grimm’s tales that most everyone knows from Disney, there are over 200 more that are mostly unknown. Some are bizarrely violent and disturbing.

The fairy tale called, The Juniper Tree, for example, has an evil stepmother (they’re always bad). She gets angry at her stepson when he asks for an apple, so she cuts off his head.

To hide her crime, she ties the boy’s head back onto his body and props him up on a chair with an apple in his hand. His sister suspects a problem when her pale and shriveled brother doesn’t respond to her questions.

The stepmother accuses her stepdaughter of the murder, then decides to cut the dead boy into pieces to make a stew, which she feeds to the father. She justifies this by saying he’s already dead, so what’s the harm. Besides, she doesn’t want the meat to go to waste.The step daughter buries her brother’s leftover bones beneath a juniper tree in the yard.

Well, it rambles on with all kinds of other weird things that I can’t really remember, but eventually a bird drops a big millstone on the wicked stepmother, which kills her. The boy’s bones reincarnate, along with those of his dead mother. The reunited family head back into the house for supper and live happily ever after.

The Brothers Grimm were “Grim” for a reason :wink:

I about fainted when I found out how the Step-sisters in Cinderella fit into the glass slipper :wink:

Next morning, he went with it to the father, and said to him, no one shall be my wife but she whose foot this golden slipper fits. Then were the two sisters glad, for they had pretty feet. The eldest went with the shoe into her room and wanted to try it on, and her mother stood by. But she could not get her big toe into it, and the shoe was too small for her. Then her mother gave her a knife and said, “Cut the toe off, when you are queen you will have no more need to go on foot.” The maiden cut the toe off, forced the foot into the shoe, swallowed the pain, and went out to the king’s son. Then he took her on his his horse as his bride and rode away with her. They were obliged, however, to pass the grave, and there, on the hazel-tree, sat the two pigeons and cried,

"Turn and peep, turn and peep,
there’s blood within the shoe,
the shoe it is too small for her,
the true bride waits for you."

Then he looked at her foot and saw how the blood was trickling from it. He turned his horse round and took the false bride home again, and said she was not the true one, and that the other sister was to put the shoe on. Then this one went into her chamber and got her toes safely into the shoe, but her heel was too large. So her mother gave her a knife and said, “Cut a bit off your heel, when you are queen you will have no more need to go on foot.” The maiden cut a bit off her heel, forced her foot into the shoe, swallowed the pain, and went out to the king’s son. He took her on his horse as his bride, and rode away with her, but when they passed by the hazel-tree, the two pigeons sat on it and cried,

"Turn and peep, turn and peep,
there’s blood within the shoe,
the shoe it is too small for her,
the true bride waits for you."

He looked down at her foot and saw how the blood was running out of her shoe, and how it had stained her white stocking quite red. Then he turned his horse and took the false bride home again.

at the end:

… and they all lived happily ever after
:grin:

2 Likes

very good, i will use this

[image]