Need Help Vectorizing a Logo

The only way that will work is if you trace/redraw each element only using Photoshop Path tools*, then use Export Paths to Illustrator (or save correctly as PS PDF). Any other process in Photoshop will not produce 100% vectors. Just saving as EPS or SVG doesn’t create vector construct; both formats support a mix of vector and raster.

*And if you’re going to do that, using Illustrator’s Pen tool would be effectively the exact same task, with a better/easier tool.

The team doesn’t have their own logo graphic?

They do, kinda. The logo was created years ago and lost. The only one who still has the vector file is a print vendor that won’t release it because they don’t want the team going to a different vendor to print :man_shrugging:t2:

Hmm. Have the printer who is holding the vector logo captive design a flier and ask them to send you a PDF proof. As long as they don’t rasterize the art before making the PDF, you could open the PDF in Illustrator and pull out the logo.

1 Like

As everyone mentioned, doing it in Photoshop will most likely not be vector unless you use the vector based pen tools and “jump through hoops” some when saving. IMO it will just be more wasted time and effort. And if you are using the pen tool and vector based tools, just use Illustrator or Coreldraw or Affinity Designer. But, unless you are experienced with using the pen tool it will be a lot of work.

Oh and @RedKittieKat I found a larger version of the original logo, I swear I have seen that script font before, but I figured with a larger version you’ll be able to ID it quicker.

pps

Ok, first off thank you so much for the help everyone. I was able to rebuild it and pull it over into AI, then do an image trace. This is where I’m at currently… I was able to delete the background to make it transparent, however there are still some white shapes (it’s hard to see, but under the R, the E, inside the claws, etc.) When I go into iso mode and delete the white shapes, they turn black. Any idea how to delete to transparent and not black? Clearly AI isn’t my strength lol.

the white shapes need to removed from the black shape. In Illustrator you need to use the pathfinder tool.

Thanks Craig… I tried using both merge and divide but when I delete it still turns to black

Spoke too soon. Tried it again and it worked!! Thanks!!

I haven’t read all the posts here yet, but in case no one has mentioned it, you can try this website to do the job:
Image Converter to Vectors

Because I am a vindictive sort, if a printer were holding a copy of my logo hostage (even if I didn’t have the foresight to keep a safe copy myself,) once I had the new vector, I’d be looking for a new printer to do ALL the stuff that one did…

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. And I would let the printer know it. I’d call them up and say, hey “I found a vector version of our logo, we no longer will be using you moving forward.”

3 Likes

Completely agree with both of you

You too?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.