Need some advice

Hi Everybody,

First of all I wanna say it’s great to be here.

I’m new in the graphic design world. I would appreciate some advice on the issue I’m having rn.

So I’ve been self teaching myself from SkillShare and YouTube in the past year and was struggling to get a job. Just a few months back I’ve applied for a UX Designer Degree Course where I was accepted so I would start my Studies this October. However just a few weeks ago I finally secured a Graphic Design Admin role(its a printing company, my role is to make product templates and place logos on products, etc).
The problem I’m facing is that both my studies and this job is full time and also I would have to move if I study. So I have to pick ONE :point_up_2:t3:

What do you guys think ?

Should I go and get my degree or stay and stick with this job. My goal is to become a UX designer. So a degree would help a lot but it is 3years long. Would I be able to transfer to the UX field in 3 years if I stick with this job now ?

Appreciate any advice !:pray:t3:

Peace :v:t3:

That’s entirely your call. It depends on the prospects at the job, though. If there is no room to progress, then its only every going to be s job and not a career. My advice is almost always going to be get the degree. It will give you far more options and open doors that would remain closed without a degree.

1 Like

Your decision on this will affect the rest of your life, so which is the best choice from the perspective of 10, 20, or 30 years?

Can you afford the degree? Can you afford not to work for the next three years? If that’s a concern, can you work for a year, save money, then pursue the degree?

A job making product templates doesn’t sound like the optimum path to becoming a UX designer. Instead, it sounds like a path to similar positions in the future.

A degree is becoming increasingly important to landing good jobs at good companies. Down the road, when you apply for other positions, you’ll compete with other applicants with degrees in the field. Without a degree, you’ll be at a significant disadvantage.

Much of your choice is whether to sacrifice now by spending time in school or to sacrifice longer-term advantages and possibilities by taking the shorter-term pay-off of taking the job you’ve been offered.

All other things being equal, I know which I would choose because I needed to make that choice myself when I was younger. It turned out that school wasn’t much of a sacrifice for me. Money was in short supply, but it was one of the best times of my life for reasons too numerous to mention.

Of course, you need to weigh the pros and cons yourself. I don’t know your situation and what other concerns might tip the balance one way or the other, so my advice would be to carefully weigh everything from a longer-term perspective.

1 Like