New General Motors logo

This must be the week for logo redos. It seems that General Motors has decided their logo needs to be redone after, well, forever.

1 Like

Yeah, I want that on the front of my truck

1 Like

I get that they want to make their brand look tech-focused as they transition to EV’s, however it really doesn’t feel as enduring or tough as their existing mark. It looks more like an app icon.

Car companies need to get over the idea that an EV has to look like some super dorky piece of crap in order to be considered EV. They’d have a heck of a lot more converts if they made them look either more conservative or, better, more sporty, without the price tag. They can make the body shape whatever they want, why make it look like the thing that came out of their bubble bath bottle last night? All roundish and kinda stupid looking. This logo change fits right into that mindset. They need to get out of it.

I’m gonna toss out there for argument that they don’t have to appeal to the 20-somethings with EVs. That market is a given if they are affordable. They have to convert the millions of older folks out there that grew up with gas and want nothin to do with bubbles and plastic. But they are at an age where sporty or upscale is more pleasing.
(I’m still waiting for someone to tell me where they think the electricity comes from for these things, too, especially here in the northeast where they’ve been threatening brown-outs due to grid limits already.)

4 Likes

I’m not really a Tesla fan, but that’s the approach Elon Musk seems to have taken with considerable success — regular-looking automobiles (expensive, but normal-looking) that run on electricity instead of gasoline. Then again, Tesla’s weird pickup truck is anything but normal-looking.

I think there’s a place for the rounded, futuristic, bubble-like, pod cars, but basing a company-wide EV strategy on that approach reinforces the counterproductive perception of EV automobiles being odd-ball, outliers not quite ready for mainstream buyers.

I’m not even sure why they seem to be focusing their automotive design efforts on appealing to 20-somethings who, in large part, can’t afford them. Maybe they’re playing a long game and hoping to hook them now for the time when the prices of batteries will have dropped and they become widely affordable in another ten years.

1 Like

Yeah, but tone down that Tesla pickup truck a bit…well maybe quite a bit…and I’d buy it if it was priced normal pickup truck price (which are too high these days, but that’s a whole other rant…)

I get the rationale, but I’m not a fan of the execution. Also, the “g” reminds me of the “g” in the Goodwill logo.

1 Like

It reminds me a little of the preliminary version of a typeface I designed way back in about 1990.

I’m not much of a fan of the new logo, but the old one wasn’t exactly a winner either — we were all just used to it.

Asa Detroit native I will forever cringe about this change. I was used to the old one. Who’s going to hoist up the new logo on the outside of the Ren Cen? (the iconic Detroit skyline building made in the 70s)