Observing variations in the colour codes while sighting the same logo on two different screens

I have an anti-glare screen laptop. The colour codes that I use in my design framework turn out to be markedly distinguished from the ones that are sighted on the glossy screen gadgets.

I’ve designed a few logo samples for a company. Logos doubtlessly have to appear the same on whatsoever screen they’re spotted on. And I can plainly see the difference between the colours employed in the same logo while taking a glimpse on a matte and a glossy screen.

How shall I calibrate the colour management scheme or the display settings on my laptop so that there occurs nil difference between both the screen reflections?

You can’t. Monitors are monitors.

You really shouldn’t be designing logos with only monitors as reference.
The idea is to be reproducible in the physical world. That’s why there are color standards out there. Things like Pantone, Toyo, RAL and lately, LAB. As a printer, I always love it when a client says, “but these colors look nothing like they do on my monitor…”
Yeah… They don’t even match my monitor, but that’s what you sent.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how you came to believe that, but it couldn’t be true even if there was only one make and model of display with zero adjust-ability. Of course, it goes way beyond reflective qualities; there are now so many devices with screens, color matching on any two could be a very elusive objective. Factor in the variances in environmental conditions and viewer perception (my wife and I see a different color while both looking at the very same object), and the endeavor to consistent color becomes nebulous regardless of how much control you’re able to exert. So uh…

You just won’t. No one will. We specify colors using the systems and methods available, and the imperfections of the physical world persist and prevail. (<That’s a period.)

1 Like

I don’t want to repeat what PrintDriver and HotButton said, so I’ll just say I completely agree with what they wrote.

You can calibrate monitors to some extent, but at best, what you see will be an approximation of what you’ll get when something is printed.

There will always be differences from one display to the next. Really, though, that’s not as big of a deal as it might seem since your brain will make the adjustments and compensations for you.

So what do I mean by that? Go outside in the middle of the day, and the overall color of what’s there is different from what those general colors will be later in the afternoon as the sun moves to a different position in the sky. Walk inside a building with artificial lighting and the overall color shifts enormously to green or yellow depending on the type of lighting. You don’t really notice these shifts because your brain compensates for it as it interprets the signals it gets from your eyes.

This effect was especially well demonstrated back when film cameras were the norm. For example, shoot a photo made for outdoor sunshine in a room full of fluorescent lights, and you’d get a print that was noticeably green. In other words, the camera and film couldn’t compensate for the difference, whereas our brains do without us really noticing.

What I’ve found to be important when working with color is, like HotButton and PrintDriver mentioned, is to rely on color standards and believe them more than eyeballing everything.

It’s also important to get used to the displays you’re using, which gives your brain some time to make those mental adjustments between what it sees on the display and what it knows will print the way one expects. Each and every time I buy a new display, it takes a couple of weeks to get used to it and to trust the way my mind is interpreting what it sees. Eventually, though, I always get used to it.

1 Like

That whole thing about getting used to what your monitor displays is why I said the prints wouldn’t match my monitor. What I see on my monitor is oftentimes nowhere near what will print simply due to the fact that some hand matching of Pantone standard colors requires swapping to something that you would never in a million years believe would print correctly. But my eyes are used to the translations and I don’t freak out, like most designers do when I send them a swapped file for any specific reason.

Make sure all of your monitors are calibrated properly. I’d recommend the Datacolor Spyder5.

https://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/product-overview/spyder5-family/

1 Like

Thanks PrintDriver, HotButton, Just-B and Steve_O for the information :blush: