Offset print explained video

Hi, apologies of I’ve posted this is the wrong area…Does anyone know of any “cool” short videos that explain the offset printing process? Obviously I’ve trawled through YouTube but they all seem a bit boring to the layperson. Basically I’d like to use it to help non-creatives understand more about Offset printing and it’s better if it’s delivered in a fun upbeat way by some hipster type with nice bright graphics etc.
Maybe there’s a cool design/print company that have done such a video ? If anyone has any links please let me know, Thanks

Can you define what kind of offset you are wanting?
web? sheetfed? digital?
Guess it doesn’t matter really, all the videos I’ve ever seen are BORING. Even to a guy who does print.
I’ll keep my eye open though if I see something in the near future.

Thanks. Yeah it doesn’t really matter but I’m looking for the basics of showing a design going on plates, showing the separations and how they come together through the process. The idea is to give non-creative people more understanding of what happens between sending an artwork and receiving the product, what CMYK & Pantone means in regard to the process etc. Like you say, the ones that seem to be around are really boring and I don’t think they would hold the attention or inform the people we want to target.

Just what the world needs, more half-interested people with short attention spans knowing just enough to be dangerous.

1 Like

Would this work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LMU-zB8Sro

less dangerous than half-interested people with short attention spans knowing nothing but making descisions though!

I’ve found that one also, it’s probably one of the better ones. I found another one with a better explanation and shows the separations coming together better but the guy doing it is really dull. Somewhere in-between would be nice, hopefully one that’s a bit more ‘on-trend’ design-wise, a little more fun. Might be as good as it gets though. Thanks

LOL, “on-trend”…
:slight_smile:

I’d already used the terms “cool” & “Hipster” earlier in the thread :smirk:

I know nothing about this group of people you’re trying to teach, why you’re doing it, or what the motivations are, so I can’t comment on the specifics of what you’re doing or why.

I will say this, though: throughout my career, I’ve worked with hundreds (maybe thousands) of clients. My favorite clients are professional communicators who know what they’re doing and who know that I know more than they do about my niche.

My next favorite type of clients are those who know nothing about design, printing, marketing, or related fields but who know those things are important and who respect and follow my advice.

My least favorite clients are those who know a little but assume they know more than they do (Dunning–Kruger effect). I’ve gotten pretty good at identifying and turning down these people before they’re able to waste my time in their black hole of self-imposed problems.

Every now and then one slips through, though. Not too long ago, I agreed to design a booklet for a consortium of government agencies — a series of essays on the environment. The person I was working with was supposedly the point person with a little experience.

At first, it went well, but as the number of essays increased, it became apparent that the booklet couldn’t be saddle-stitched and would need to be perfect bound. When I told her this, she disagreed. When I argued back, she said she had worked with other designers on booklet projects and knew what she was doing. She even said that she had checked with a printer who assured her it could be done. Finally, she insisted that it would be saddle-stitched and didn’t need my advice since she was arranging the printing.

OK, it was one of those projects where I gave in and prepared the book with gutter margins sufficient for saddle stitching. Two months later, when I got a copy of the book — as I suspected it would be, the printer had perfect bound the book. Of course, the narrow gutter margins I prepared for saddle stitching were too narrow to read the book without opening the book so far that it risked breaking the glued binding. Since I prepared it for saddle stitching, I had designed no spine, so the printer had improvised something using a different typeface. Worse yet, my name was in the book as the designer.

As I mentioned, I’d rather work with a client who knows nothing than a client who knows just enough to be dangerous.

1 Like

Certainly! If you’re looking for short and engaging videos on offset printing, consider checking out design and print studios on social media platforms like Instagram or TikTok. Look for content that combines visuals, animation, and a hip, upbeat style to make the offset printing process more accessible to a non-creative audience. Additionally, explore graphic design channels on YouTube for concise explanations with bright graphics. Use keywords like “offset printing explained” to refine your search. Happy exploring!

1 Like