Old good stuff from once-small companies

More antiques…
-My ruler, c1985.
-CDs with 20 sports themed stock images from Eyewire, c2007. It cost $400 and you had to buy the whole set, even if you just needed one. Outdated business practice, and that was only 15 years ago. Note how they supplied the images in RGB and CMYK on separate discs.
-Printed stock catalogs from Fotosearch, c2007. Showcasing all the agencies that no longer exist.

2 Likes

Remember the way we had to submit proofs before PDFs? Cut out your design/mockup, spraymount it onto a board, overlay paper and cover, trim to size, make appt to see client, drive over and discuss, yada yada yada. Now, email PDF, job done.

That made me remember those weird organic-looking, yellow, alien landscapes that used to build up inside spray booths. Haven’t thought about that in years. Ah, those were the days when we coated our lungs in atomised adhesive!

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. We used to put a match in front and incinerate flies, you know, the ones that fly round and round under the ceiling light. Or just spray them and when they land they couldn’t take off.

I don’t miss that at all.

1 Like

The memory is foggy. An over-consumption of strong beverages might have something to do with it.

I still get stuff from Adobe. Recent was a Travel mug which was nice. And also a t-shirt on the way.
I am an advisor to a fan base of a computer game on purchasing a computer for this game, it’s more processor based than graphic based so game computers are overkill. And for this work I get a free copy of the game every year, and free swag, like t-shirts, hoodies etc. It’s quite enjoyable for me and keeps me up to date on computers and tech.

But I’ve been getting free stuff for 20 years, most I don’t end up keeping, maybe I’ll start holding on to it?

Hmmm.

2004 was the last year I did that, and according to my time cards, I spent 160 hours in my car driving proofs around. I remember thinking how that worked out to four 40-hour weeks of labor… one month of my working year spent picking up and dropping off proofs. Shudder

1 Like

Remember having to get the proof done before 1pm so the courier could pick it up so it would put on the train for 3pm express.

We didn’t have internet access, only the accountants and estimators were deemed worthy enough to have internet and email addresses.

PDF workflow was still not implemented back then that was about 2005.

Low and behold, these days, I can live stream my screen directly with the client to input final changes or work layouts.

Beats them sitting beside me - ‘uh oh I’m going through a tunnel I’m losing connection’

Rarely do I have them on screen with me. But it’s great for the workers that I can log in and solve their design issues without getting up off my ass.

Times have changed.

Yes, I remember the packing the proof up and sending it by post, you’d receive it back marked up in the post about 4 weeks later.

But it’s wanted yesterday these days.

We always called those comps. Even today, I still use that word, even though hardly anyone else knows what it means.

After cutting the matt board and building the comp (always grey or black), we would sand the edges of the board to make it perfectly smooth to the touch. The presentations counted for a great deal at the agencies where I worked.

I miss actually making things instead of only moving pixels around. I don’t miss the X-Acto blade cuts, though. I still have a few scars on my fingers from getting careless.

That’s important and increasingly so as the years pass. I take on the odd sign writing job every now and then just to do something tangible.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.