One website for multiple locations

Hey everyone,
I was confused if I use one website for multiple locations, will there be any issues in SEO or Page Ranking and Content? Also, will my website be mixed or hotch-potch if multiple location keywords will be at one website?

Are you saying you want to clone a website and host it in multiple locations with different domains? Am I misunderstanding. I’m having a hard time coming up with a reason to do that.

If so, yeah, the search engines could easily spot the mirrored content across several domains and penalize your rankings because of it.

Or are you saying you have one website and want it to appear as those it’s hosted in multiple location, but again, my best guess is that I’m misunderstanding what you have in mind.

Sorry, I don’t know what that means. What are “multiple location keywords on one website”?

Hello Just-B,
Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Actually, the thing is, I have one domain. And that domain is only for Britain now. The meta tags, description, title everything is related to Britain keywords.
Now, I want that same domain/website to present to the US.
So will it be good? or Will it cause me trouble?

One top-level domain, as in yoursite.com as opposed to having both yoursite.com and yoursite.co.uk? I’d suggest both if you want to improve SEO results specific to the UK.

Will the content on the site(s) be exactly the same or will it vary some — even if the difference between the two is only American and British words, spellings and punctuation? You mentioned location-specific keywords, so I’m assuming you won’t be serving exactly the same site to both audiences.

How about search engine results. Do you want the British version to show up when searched from Manchester or Bristol and the North American version results when searched from Denver or Toronto?

Will the site have an indicator, like a flag, to switch back and forth between the British and American versions?

Anyway, despite these kinds of questions and complexities that you didn’t ask about but that still affect what you’re wanting to do, the answer is, yes, you can do it in ways that don’t have negative SEO effects. However, you’ll need to do it the right way, and that right way will involve differences imposed by issues like those I mentioned above.

Setting it up can be a bit cumbersome, both from a content and CMS management point of view and in terms of using the right meta tags in ways that tell the search engines what you’re doing.

For example, canonical and hreflang tags alternates can be used to specify which version of a site should be returned in a search for different locations and languages. This should actually boost your SEO rankings since the search engines will know that you have something specific for the UK and similar but specific content for America or Australia or wherever.

It might also help to have a separate Google sitemap for each.

Anyway, it gets complicated and how you set it up on a server is a big issue with lots of different answers depending on things like the CMS you’re using.

Rather than attempting to go into those things here, it would be best if you researched it yourself, which I assume you’ve done. Even so, a quick Google search turned up the following, which will take you down a rabbit hole of localized SEO information.

2 Likes